Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker...

I have been out of the motorcycle game for a few years, but I just came into an FZ09. My last bike was an AMA R6 racebike, so I'm finding the transition to the FZ a bit difficult and I couldn't imagine taking it on the track in stock form. I have the suspension sorted (cartridges and ohlins shock), and the motor is a gem directly out of the crate, but the riding position is irking me.

I hate feeling like a sail above 60mph and hanging on for dear life above 85mph, so I'd like to drop the hand position about 2in and move it forward the same amount. What would be the best bet to try for a new handlebar? I recently ordered the Rizoma MA005, but it just arrived and I'm not thrilled when viewing the bar off the bike. It has a decent drop, but the sweep back on the Rizoma is so much more than stock it looks to be only about an inch different in actual positioning. Is there anything else between the Rizoma MA005 and the most forward/lowest Buell Clubman bars that you would suggest I try?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clubmans are on my radar, but I'm hesitant to go that far. I'd still like to maintain the ridability if I want to take the bike on a long trip through the mountains.

Has anyone installed those drag bars? Any clearance issues? That seems to be the direction I'm leaning.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The clubmans are on my radar, but I'm hesitant to go that far. I'd still like to maintain the ridability if I want to take the bike on a long trip through the mountains.

Has anyone installed those drag bars? Any clearance issues? That seems to be the direction I'm leaning.
I had drag bars on my FZ1 but did not go that low on the FZ09 but I did go with a Renthal handlebar that is slightly lower and slightly shorter than stock handlebar.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think adjustable rear sets will do alot for your preferred ergonomics, lower profile bars will cerrainly help out.. 1125cr buell clubmans.

I kinda ride it like a dirtbike though, lean chest in with wider stance bended elbows.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about a small windscreen?
I have the Puig sport screen which helped a bit with the wind but not nearly enough at extra-legal speeds. Plus, it doesn't help the riding position on the track which is incredibly awkward for me coming from sportbike positioning. It only takes about :10 to change, so perhaps I'll go with a clubman bar for the track and the Rizoma for the street. I was just curious if there were any options in between.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yikes! 2" down and 2" forward? Buy some clip on bars? The FZ isn't a track bike. If I was headed to the track I would buy an R6, R1 or deviate from the tuning fork brand and get something similar. I think the extra money for a sportbike is worth it if you are going to be spending much time on the track. My bars...

Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Auto part Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the Rizoma MA008 and am fairly happy with it. Although taller than the 005, it has less rear sweep. One caution. The tank is tall and wide, and even the 008 bar gets close at full lock- I had to rotate it forward a bit for enough clearance. A drag bar will hit the tank. Another option is to swap the bar mounts left to right. That moves the bars forward about 3/4", and the instruments to the left and back over the bars. It also gives you the option to cut a bit more off the ends of the bars without the brake reservoir hitting the instrument cluster. The wires to the instrument cluster are a tight stretch. Mine are just long enough. I would like the bars another 1/2" or so further forward for a bit more forward lean, but it's not bad as it is. But then everyone has different tastes. Mine are currently 29" wide, but will be 28" once I cut a bit more off the ends. Still wider than my other bikes, unfortunately. My neck can't take low bars these days so clubmans are not an option for me. They're pretty comfortable up to 80 and change- I don't have any windscreen by the way. Over that they aren't ideal.

Reactions: esrcombia

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yikes! 2" down and 2" forward? Buy some clip on bars? The FZ isn't a track bike. If I was headed to the track I would buy an R6, R1 or deviate from the tuning fork brand and get something similar. I think the extra money for a sportbike is worth it if you are going to be spending much time on the track. My bars...

View attachment 15025
I like those quite a bit. Which ones are they?

With a narrower gas tank and slightly shorter wheelbase, the FZ could make an awesome track bike. With the suspension firmed up and the forks dropped an inch or so to decrease the rake, it would be very flickable. That motor would stomp even a gsxr750 out of slow corners. Anyway, a guy can dream, can't he ha!

·
Registered
654 Posts
if your only trying to get out of the windblast, get a windshield, if you want the forward lean for better front end feel and comfort be damned then clubmans or clip ons

·
Registered
246 Posts
I like those quite a bit. Which ones are they?

With a narrower gas tank and slightly shorter wheelbase, the FZ could make an awesome track bike. With the suspension firmed up and the forks dropped an inch or so to decrease the rake, it would be very flickable. That motor would stomp even a gsxr750 out of slow corners. Anyway, a guy can dream, can't he ha!
Sorry I'm slow to reply. My bars are ProTaper Contour Universal Low. I've ordered some CRG bar end mirrors with the internal mirror adaptors to mount them without moving my controls again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you need another option i have LSL fat drag bars cut 1.25" from each end;with puig sport windscreen. but imma get rid of them i have the woodcraft clip on kit on the way

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the Rizoma MA008 and am fairly happy with it. Although taller than the 005, it has less rear sweep. One caution. The tank is tall and wide, and even the 008 bar gets close at full lock- I had to rotate it forward a bit for enough clearance. A drag bar will hit the tank. Another option is to swap the bar mounts left to right. That moves the bars forward about 3/4", and the instruments to the left and back over the bars. It also gives you the option to cut a bit more off the ends of the bars without the brake reservoir hitting the instrument cluster. The wires to the instrument cluster are a tight stretch. Mine are just long enough. I would like the bars another 1/2" or so further forward for a bit more forward lean, but it's not bad as it is. But then everyone has different tastes. Mine are currently 29" wide, but will be 28" once I cut a bit more off the ends. Still wider than my other bikes, unfortunately. My neck can't take low bars these days so clubmans are not an option for me. They're pretty comfortable up to 80 and change- I don't have any windscreen by the way. Over that they aren't ideal.
Do you have any pics or a better explanation of swapping the OEM bar mounts left to right. I've looked at mine and while they aren't symmetrical, I can't see how I would gain 3/4" by swapping them.

I too would like a little more forward lean and maybe a narrower bar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a set of the black renthal fat bars "street fighter" version on my FZ and freaking love them! They are slightly lower, more forward and little narrower. The black look is great and they give you a little more of an aggressive position for wheelies and mountain riding. I will post the link to them below. I will also post a picture later tonight when I get home.

Renthal Street Fatbar Handlebars 1-1/8" - RevZilla

Reactions: shamrock

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a set of the black renthal fat bars "street fighter" version on my FZ and freaking love them! They are slightly lower, more forward and little narrower. The black look is great and they give you a little more of an aggressive position for wheelies and mountain riding. I will post the link to them below. I will also post a picture later tonight when I get home.

Renthal Street Fatbar Handlebars 1-1/8" - RevZilla
I have the same bars. i put some scott grips to help with vibration. I do like them but i am leaning for towards the clubman. to mix things up a bit. That is if i can find a set. I am finding clubmans but not for the 1125, Anyone know if those would work by chance?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts