Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 with 3k miles. It has a check engine light that comes on when I start it and then goes away after a while. Is there a tool I can use to scan or clear the codes? It's not flashing but a steady light.

View attachment 159467

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
354 Posts
If the oil isn't up to the top fill line you might need to add more, the oil sensor measures oil level not pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check that thanks. I also hear there was a flash for check engine light issues on the 2016's. This bike is new to me so I need to call a dealer and see whats up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the oil isn't up to the top fill line you might need to add more, the oil sensor measures oil level not pressure.
Are you saying low engine oil causes the check engine light to come on? I’m not talking about the low oil light.

·
Registered
843 Posts
That is the engine trouble warning light. Does it show a code below the tach bar/ mode select on the meter? Have you changed anything on the bike lately? How long is awhile?

Ride Sane

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a 2016 with 3k miles. It has a check engine light that comes on when I start it and then goes away after a while. Is there a tool I can use to scan or clear the codes? It's not flashing but a steady light.
You need an OBD2 code scanner and an interface cable that goes from the bike plug to the scanner cable.

Example:

·
Registered
83 Posts

View attachment 159467
You won't find any issues with your code reader. This is a normal thing. Once the engine is running, it builds oil pressure and voltages come back up, the light goes out. If something else is happening and the light stays on for more. 5-10 sec after starting, be concerned.
Replace your weak battery first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts