Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago I did a coolant flush and today I noticed small particles in the radiator when I went to check the level. Any ideas what this is? Is it rust already?
It took the better part of a day to do the flush and don't want to do it again if not necessary.

This is exactly what I did:

1. Drained all original (blue) coolant.
2. Rinsed with Distilled water until relatively clear water came out.
3. Filled with distilled water and ran engine for a few minutes.
4. Cooled engine and drained water.
5. Rinsed again with distilled water until water coming out the drain was clear.
6. Completely drained the system then added THIS coolant. (I was told it's safe for aluminum-even says it on the bottle)
7. Let engine get to 190+ then cooled and topped off the radiator.

Now I have these little particles in the radiator. They weren't there when I checked a day after the flush...WHAT IS THIS STUFF?:confused:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Flush it out and ride. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Crud that dropped in from the rad cap????

I'd try wicking the stuff up with some Q-Tips or paper towel. Clean it up as much as possible, then run it again for a short ride, let it sit and check it again to see if more appears.

If there is less, repeat and run it again until no crud appears. If it doesn't clean up, I'd suspect the antifreeze is not 100% compatible with the 09 and it's time to switch to something else.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Prestone antifreeze is 100% compatible with aluminum engines. I use it in all my bikes.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It could be almost anything, but it kind of looks like small bits of rubber material...its possible one or more of your coolant hoses is coming apart from the inside.

·
Registered
768 Posts
It looks like paint flecks to me. =/

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
It looks like goldfish droppings. Is your coolant compatible with marine life?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Well come to think of it the same stuff was in my 2002 FZ1 when I flushed it..I just got most off the stuff floating on top out and never gave it a second thought ! Close her up and forget about it !

·
Registered
962 Posts
Looks like paint to me. I would guess overspray from the cylinder/head manufacturing process. I'd try to fish it out - but wouldn't really worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts