Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine has a strange rattling noise. The noise happens as I ride, but probably 80% of the time when I let off the power, in light engine braking. Kind of sounds like a loud rattling sound, (possibly) more out the right side of the engine, and I can feel the vibrations through my feet. The rattling will come in for a little bit, up to a few seconds at a time and then go as the engine slows. It does not happen at idle. It does not have the ‘ticking’ noise that is commonly referred to with cam chain problems. It’s not the drive chain. It started happening only a little bit, but increased to the point where it happens all the time now. After reading the forum, I thought it might be the infamous cam chain tensioner. My bike is 2014, so it would have the original first generation cam chain tensioner. I took it to Yamaha as I have an extended warranty. Yamaha said they didn’t hear anything on the test ride. I don’t know how they couldn’t hear this thing. They said the cam chain sounded fine to them, so they refused to help any further under warranty. I’m not sure what to do. Does anyone know this sound I am describing??

·
Registered
580 Posts
Any way you can record the noise on your phone, then post here?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
A worn timing chain or loose tensioner should not make the pegs vibrate. That sounds more like a clutch or drivetrain issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, DiAvalo from Vietnam.
Seems we have the same concern here. I have a MT09 ver.2016 and the engine noise likes rattling. I could not upload my video but you guys can find the same at this clip:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does it stop when the clutch is pulled in even when in neutral? I found the clutch to make noise more so than my fz07. It's been the same since I got it at 1k miles and I'm now at 5k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does it stop when the clutch is pulled in even when in neutral? I found the clutch to make noise more so than my fz07. It's been the same since I got it at 1k miles and I'm now at 5k.
Yes it does. It’s quite less than when we pulling clutch. But the rattle seems not come from the clutch

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
The clutches are noisy, not as bad as a dry clutch Ducati, but still noticeable. Ride more, worry less.

·
Registered
MT09 ABS
17 Posts
I think I had this noise coming and going from the start... I thought it was a resonance created by the chain, but then I changed the worn out chain (and sprokets) and the noise still pop out here and there... I have to say that this engine not only is amazing, but it tallks too :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts