Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

I posted the below thread in the West Coast sub forum. Basically, I am in a bind and trying to find a particular tool OR any suggestions on something that may work in place of the link below. Any ideas?

-------
My mechanic is putting in a new cartridge kit into my front forks (heavier springs, etc). He has everything disassembled and realized that he doesn't have the required damper tool...and has to order one. The tool he ordered is this one which is a replacement for the Yamaha OEM version. He made a couple of phone calls, but no luck so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0117-Damper-Fork/dp/B000GTV1KS

The problem is that he won't get it until Monday. I have a big ride planned this weekend...and don't want to miss it. This may be a long shot, but if there is anyone local who has the tool I can borrow OR a recommendation of where I may get lucky finding a local version.

Thanks, Tim

(Note - I am also going to post in the tools section!)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is this an actual bike mechanic at a shop? Confused why they would not have that tool if they work on suspension.

Sorry I know that doesn't help...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey - I am not sure where he works during his day job, but this is a part time gig for him out of his garage (work is excellent!).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey guys -

I posted the below thread in the West Coast sub forum. Basically, I am in a bind and trying to find a particular tool OR any suggestions on something that may work in place of the link below. Any ideas?

-------
My mechanic is putting in a new cartridge kit into my front forks (heavier springs, etc). He has everything disassembled and realized that he doesn't have the required damper tool...and has to order one. The tool he ordered is this one which is a replacement for the Yamaha OEM version. He made a couple of phone calls, but no luck so far.

Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0117 Damper Rod Fork Tool: Automotive

The problem is that he won't get it until Monday. I have a big ride planned this weekend...and don't want to miss it. This may be a long shot, but if there is anyone local who has the tool I can borrow OR a recommendation of where I may get lucky finding a local version.

Thanks, Tim

Don't buy that tool. I did and it doesn't fit. You don't need it anyway. Use a 1/2" drive impact with allen socket (I think it is 6MM). Just hold on to the damper rod protruding from your lower tube and a quick burp with the impact will break the allen bolt in the bottom loose. When you put your cartridge back in you can use the impact again. Turn the impact down to it's lowest setting. Start the allen bolt by hand holding the other end of the rod, after bolt is started use the impact and one quick bump will snug the bolt, then you can put a torque wrench on it properly tighten it (17 ft lbs I believe) - don't forget the blue loctite.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hey guys -

-------

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0117-Damper-Fork/dp/B000GTV1KS

Thanks, Tim

Updating your profile to include your location or putting your location in your post would help immensely

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't buy that tool. I did and it doesn't fit. You don't need it anyway. Use a 1/2" drive impact with allen socket (I think it is 6MM). Just hold on to the damper rod protruding from your lower tube and a quick burp with the impact will break the allen bolt in the bottom loose. When you put your cartridge back in you can use the impact again. Turn the impact down to it's lowest setting. Start the allen bolt by hand holding the other end of the rod, after bolt is started use the impact and one quick bump will snug the bolt, then you can put a torque wrench on it properly tighten it (17 ft lbs I believe) - don't forget the blue loctite.
Hey - Thanks...I will relay this over. My understanding is that this was the approach he already tried but will double check.

EDIT: Yeah this is exactly what he tried so far and was having trouble getting it lose on initial burp. Will probably try again though.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I disassembled mine without a cartridge holder. One came loose with no problems, but the other one wanted to turn with the bolt till I increased the spring preload (that worked). My replacement cartridges required a different tool that I purchased with them.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think I have a tool that could be used for this.. It came with my cartridge kit from Traxxion. I'll have to take a picture of it when I get home. I'm over the hill from you in Sherman Oaks.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Here, i found a pic you can kind of see it.

Its a black bar with holes on the end. Its sitting right above the fork caps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey - you ended up being right on this...we simply needed to get more torque on the rod and it ended up working (user error!) No extra tools needed and the rest of the install was a piece of cake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts