Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’d not heard of Dominator until this thread eithe. I could go either way on high or low, I’m that inbetween age of growing up with high exhausts, seeing low exhausts and not liking them, to now liking low exhausts too.

Good choice on low exhaust, only because you got a lot of different opinions and went with the one you liked most. I looked up a few videos and it sounds pretty gnarly with the baffle out. Unsure how strict UK cops have become with sound levels (been a while since I left) but I’d say take that db killer out and let that monster roar 😂

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I’d not heard of Dominator until this thread eithe. I could go either way on high or low, I’m that inbetween age of growing up with high exhausts, seeing low exhausts and not liking them, to now liking low exhausts too.

Good choice on low exhaust, only because you got a lot of different opinions and went with the one you liked most. I looked up a few videos and it sounds pretty gnarly with the baffle out. Unsure how strict UK cops have become with sound levels (been a while since I left) but I’d say take that db killer out and let that monster roar 😂
I have had dominator header on the the T7 and the quality was good , the reason I went with them is because it's good value for money and not a rip off as some manufacturers are, I am in the engineering business and understand all of us need to make a profit and survive etc but some things are just way out of line.
I wanted to get rid of the stock exhaust and have something to show case the swing arm and keep the weight down. Can't wait to fit it now ... Depending on how loud it is I might run it with the DB killer installed.
Aleks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had dominator header on the the T7 and the quality was good , the reason I went with them is because it's good value for money and not a rip off as some manufacturers are, I am in the engineering business and understand all of us need to make a profit and survive etc but some things are just way out of line.
I wanted to get rid of the stock exhaust and have something to show case the swing arm and keep the weight down. Can't wait to fit it now ... Depending on how loud it is I might run it with the DB killer installed.
Aleks
I agree with you, they’ve been in business for 15+ years so they’re doing something right. Nowadays we associate good quality with high price which may be the case to a certain point, but manufacturers are definitely focusing on that idea of status through their brand, and sometimes I find the more I pay for something the less happy I am as my expectations of quality are far higher and they don’t always meet it. Funnily enough, I worked for a company where we made a branded and then a generic product for the big stores with their names on it… the product was exactly the same, but our brand named product was twice the price and all we did was change the label roll.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Some pics of the exhaust plssss?
Next week mine is getting here too.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part Automotive exhaust

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Vehicle brake

Microphone Audio equipment Carbon Microphone stand Gas
First impressions are great, I've been in the manufacturing and engineering business for over 15 years and the welding and quality is amazing... Well impressed so far... Can't wait for tomorrow to install it.
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle lighting Wheel Bicycle part

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Digital camera Lens

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Finger Headlamp

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive design Carbon Rim

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Tomorrow morning installation time ... 👍💯🏍💨📸

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I think I owe this thread some photos and a review of the installation plus a first impression after 60 miles with the new exhaust.
Very good quality stainless steel and also amazing welding , the end can is great looking and light.
Stock exhaust weight 7.045 kg
Tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle Vehicle

The headers weight without the end can : 2.180kg
Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Crankset

End can weight : 1.25kg
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle accessory Tread

Total weight saving of 3.57 kg ... Very please with this.
Installation for me was a first and I've never installed full system on a motorcycle. Not to bad everything went well and no bolts have been stripped or damaged which is always a success in my eyes.
First step I've taken the radiator bracket bolt from the block with 10mm spanner, then slowly moved on the 12mm header bolts which were not that tight from factory. Move on towards the back of the exhaust and there is two more bolts. Then it was out and the installation of the new header began.
The only thing I was missing was the instructions on which tube goes where so I had a bit of a scratch 😅😅... Managed to get it right the second time. I've started with installing each header tube on the bike and makings sure the copper gaskets are in place , they are a pain to deal with. All header tubes in and then collector was put in and I tried to align everything with the end can to make sure there is no contact anywhere. I was happy with everything especially how sturdy it feels and the gap between the end can and the swingarm;
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Once I was happy with I noticed the cover from the coolant was very close to the pipe and decided not to muck about with alignment of the tubes but use a Dremel to cut a piece of so that there is definitely no contact.
Wiring was easy and straight forward with the radiator cover removed and plug and play harness in place.
Sound is amazing, I love how it sounds on downplips but also in higher rpm range, it is on the loud side but for a low mount it's very very good when cruising or steady on the throttle.
My feeling is that the bikes has definitely gained power from this as the top end is now a lot more powerful and it picks up speed faster ... Wheelies before have been accidental in 2nd gear but now on corner exit she lifts in 3rd and the front is light in 4th as well above 8k rpm. Mid range is good and I think it's gained slightly but it's hard to tell.
Overall very happy with the purchase, excelent quality , shipping fast and installation ok. Only downside would be that there is no manual on how to install it.
Next MWR filter and remap on the dyno ... That will be wicked as the top will gain another 1000 rpm of making power.
Some phone shots from today as my canon decided not to be charged 😅📸
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Fuel tank Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Plant

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
41 - 60 of 68 Posts