Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to go for a dominator exhaust but I'm undecided on which one to choose. Below are the two exhaust types I'm considering and I would like to see peoples opinion on both. I'll also post a pic of my bike so you know where the exhaust is going to end up.
Look forward to some feedback.
Aleks
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Fuel tank

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I don’t know anything about Dominator, but of the two you’ve shown, definitely the high pipe. You might want to put this in Poll form…
You definitely don’t want to go with the high pipe. High pipes are for pompous MT09 riders that have forgotten their roots in the underslung exhaust. But whatever. You can’t go wrong, other than what I just said would go wrong. So yeah. Get the shortest lightest unit. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,308 Posts
Low pipes are for young people who think the pregnant guppy look is a cool thing for a motorcycle. But these are the same people who brought high-waisted jeans for girls back from the dead, so it makes sense.

I suppose it’s reasonable to worry about your MT09 “roots”, though. After all, that tradition goes aaaaaall the way back to 2013 A.D., when the low-pipe crowd didn’t even have their driver’s licences yet… 💁🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
113 Posts
I have decided to go for a dominator exhaust but I'm undecided on which one to choose. Below are the two exhaust types I'm considering and I would like to see peoples opinion on both. I'll also post a pic of my bike so you know where the exhaust is going to end up.
Look forward to some feedback.
Aleks View attachment 167927
View attachment 167925
View attachment 167926
View attachment 167924 View attachment 167928
Aleks, friend, buddy, pal, comrade, brotherman, cousin, my guy.... just get the high mount unless you plan on having a passenger frequently. High mount looks so good

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see the group is split ... I never use a pillion and will get rid of the passenger pegs once I've developed plates to cover the frame up , I have to admit I'm obsessed with losing weight on a motorcycle so I don't have too...🤣🤣
Maybe the low exhaust will save an extra kg or so ...😃
I'll postpone on the decision till Monday but I'm leaning towards the low exhaust. 😎

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Low pipes are for young people who think the pregnant guppy look is a cool thing for a motorcycle. But these are the same people who brought high-waisted jeans for girls back from the dead, so it makes sense.

I suppose it’s reasonable to worry about your MT09 “roots”, though. After all, that tradition goes aaaaaall the way back to 2013 A.D., when the low-pipe crowd didn’t even have their driver’s licences yet… 💁🏻‍♂️
Who you calling young?! And BTW, my roots are just as grey as the rest, thank you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I bought a high mounted exhaust for my FZ07 because I thought it looked better on that bike. Years later, I find myself liking the underbelly systems more. The Leo Vince Underbody has caught my eye for the 09. Of the pics you added, this low pipe in particular looks a bit small for the bike. The high pipe has good proportions, the low pipe looks like someone hung a small generic glasspack from a dirt bike wherever they could squeeze.

If you tip over or lowside with high pipes they usually don't survive without at least scratches. Otherwise, get what looks fun to you at the moment!

p.s. If you're planning on luggage, make sure the high pipe won't interfere.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
52 Posts
For looks I think the high mount exhaust looks awesome. I feel like it follows the lines of the bike really nicely.

If you tip over or lowside with high pipes they usually don't survive without at least scratches. Otherwise, get what looks fun to you at the moment!

p.s. If you're planning on luggage, make sure the high pipe won't interfere.
These are excellent points to factor in your decision as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Out of those two OP it's the high mounted one for me. Tbh i like the standard exhaust and think it looks and sounds great. I've read an another forum a guy put his bike on a dyno and the bike lost power with a new exhaust system so in reality i think it's a waster of money, for me anyway.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts