Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've come to the FZ forum for help. I've had my FZ09 for over a year and have rode it quite a bit. Anyways I noticed a vibration in my left peg a couple months ago. I've only rode it a handful of times in the last 2-3 months because of a broken bone in my right hand. I noticed this vibration during deceleration. I figured the chain was too loose and tightened up to about 15-18 mm and the chain is still slapping the left peg bolt. I'll add pictures of the chain and everything. Do I need a new chain and sprocket or is this something else? The bike only has 10k miles on it. I rode it from Cincinnati to NC and back earlier in June. I keep up on maintenance and don't neglect the bike. Any help is appreciated!

bolt and chain contact.jpg
FZ Chain.jpg
Left Peg bolt.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do you know if the bike had been dropped?

Even a stationary drop might have bent something to the point there is now interference

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hello all!

I've come to the FZ forum for help. I've had my FZ09 for over a year and have rode it quite a bit. Anyways I noticed a vibration in my left peg a couple months ago. I've only rode it a handful of times in the last 2-3 months because of a broken bone in my right hand. I noticed this vibration during deceleration. I figured the chain was too loose and tightened up to about 15-18 mm and the chain is still slapping the left peg bolt. I'll add pictures of the chain and everything. Do I need a new chain and sprocket or is this something else? The bike only has 10k miles on it. I rode it from Cincinnati to NC and back earlier in June. I keep up on maintenance and don't neglect the bike. Any help is appreciated!

View attachment 161478
Either something is bent or out of alignment, I just went out and looked at my bike, I lifted the chain so it is close to that bolt and there is about 10-12mm space between the bolt head and chain.
And, just my personal opinion but I think 15mm chain slack is too tight.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Time for a new chain and sprockets , I try to get 20k out of a chain but my last one started doing that at 18k

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
613 Posts
Factory parts or aftermarket rearsets? +1 on the something bent during a mild tip over theory. Also check the chain alignment - just sight down the chain from the back and see if it looks pretty straight to the front sprocket.

Reactions: MCFC2015FZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know if the bike had been dropped?

Even a stationary drop might have bent something to the point there is now interference

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I hit a deer about a year ago. Most damage was to the right side of the bike and myself lol. I fixed it up and i've rode it cross country since then. This issue just came up a year later. I am going to replace the peg bracket and see if this fixes it. If not i'll change the sprocket and chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think this is highly likely.
Hit a deer about a year ago and fixed it up. When I hit the deer I went down on my right side so all the damage was on the right side of the bike. I've rode it since then and didn't have any troubles until about a couple months ago. That being said I am going to replace the peg mount and go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts