Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hit 4k miles and took my bike to get a new rear tire. The tire was first installed the wrong direction, and the wheel was scratched. When I brought it back the same tech got his hands on it and somehow stripped the chain pullers and possibly cross threaded the axle nut. I need a new axle, nut, and chain pullers at least. The bike is totally out of commission. They called around and couldn't find the parts available to order anywhere basically leaving me SOL. The shop did offer me to take home one of their personal bikes but I feel weird about that. Pretty sure that tech got fired yesterday. Any suggestions on where I should go from here or where I could find the parts I need would be greatly appreciated. Also I am a go with the flow passively nice guy so it is hard for me to be assertive and demanding.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've been happy with getting parts from PartShark.com FZ 09 but whether they are faster than other places I don't know.

Is the shop a Yamaha dealer? The only bright point I can think of is it was so screwed up you didn't ride away on an unsafe bike. Have you talked with the shop owner?

·
Registered
165 Posts
where did they strip the chain pullers? they screw into the swingarm................... could that be damaged?

I'd be asking them for a loan bike until they repaired mine.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
^ +1 They should understand your reasoning and their obligation.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Wow, I know that the shop owner is not happy. I would tell them to call me when the bike is as exactly as I left it in their care.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are full of Sh*t...call the BBB and report them. Then find the parts you need, go down there and have them order them. Have them give you a bike until your parts are in. Get your bike to another mechanic have him estimate the repair in writing. Take this back to the losers that messed it up and have them pay it...all the while you have the loaner. Make sure you take your bike back before getting the loaner. This will work...did it with a loaner car from the body shop until they and the Insurance company got it right. You do have the power as the consumer to make it difficult on them...let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Ryan are you in Santa Rosa and was that SR Powersports? Read my thread on the FZ09 stop sale recall...I can't have mine yet!
I wouldn't believe a word they say...I did buy from them but only cause they had it in stock.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I know never to go to SR Powersports now. I bought my bike from K&B in Petaluma but have never taken it there for service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update.... I was a little frustrated when I wrote the first post. let me clear a few things up; Yes I'm near Santa Rosa but Santa Rosa Power Sports had nothing to do with this. I bought my bike from them and have nothing but nice things to say about everyone that works there, also their new location looks really nice.
The place where the tornado struck is a reputable shop they build race bikes. Hoping this was just a fluke with a new tech that just got hired/fired.The shop owners feel like crap and seem like they are really trying to make this right. The parts were found and ordered by the shop ASAP whom I will keep unnamed for now. I believe that they said the axle nut is on back order from yamaha for a month. Until then my bike has been bandaged back together, I will be picking it up tomorrow morning pics to follow. I really don't think there is any reason to call bbb or to demanding that the bike be taken somewhere else (I do really appreciate the ideas though). They've also offered me a few hundred dollars of tuning work for free. I was going to ask for a go pro.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If this shop is NOT a Yamaha dealer, INSIST that it be reapaired by a dealer. The shop WILL pay the bill..... no other repair is acceptable!

Just hit 4k miles and took my bike to get a new rear tire. The tire was first installed the wrong direction, and the wheel was scratched. When I brought it back the same tech got his hands on it and somehow stripped the chain pullers and possibly cross threaded the axle nut. I need a new axle, nut, and chain pullers at least. The bike is totally out of commission. They called around and couldn't find the parts available to order anywhere basically leaving me SOL. The shop did offer me to take home one of their personal bikes but I feel weird about that. Pretty sure that tech got fired yesterday. Any suggestions on where I should go from here or where I could find the parts I need would be greatly appreciated. Also I am a go with the flow passively nice guy so it is hard for me to be assertive and demanding.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I hope this is a temp fix while you procure new parts...

That looks ugly. Nice scratches on your swing arm too... Those won't buff out.

Motorcycle tech is a fancy term for monkey swinging wrenches. No one touches my bikes... And this shit never happens to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is a temp fix until the parts show up (I believe the nut and sliders are backordered). My stock axle had to be drilled. They have already ordered the axle, nut, and sliders, but you should have seen the swingarm before they tried to cover up the scratches with spraypaint it was really bad. The cover up might look worse in my opinion. I highly doubt I will get them to spring for a new swingarm. I'm not going to let them or anyone for that matter touch it again. Feeling like I just got kicked in the nuts but its not the end of the world (yet). This will not stop me from getting all kinds of childish excitement every time she starts. Hey and at least now she has some character, and I don't have to beat myself up everytime I see the scratch because I didn't do it. I do feel like a jackass for not bringing just the wheel in to get the tire changed. Chalking it up to another lesson learned the hard way.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
with shoddy work like that i'd double check to see that all the rear wheel spacers have been reinstalled. and all the bolts tightened correctly...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts