Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test Rode the KTM 990 and it was great!! I haven't ridden the FZ but the numbers and styling are appealing to me. Can anybody out there chime in with advice? The SMR is a 2011 with 7k miles. It's more money even though it's a used bike, but the styling on the KTM is completely out of this world to me. Seats are known to be uncomfortable on the KTM, 30 mpg with a 4 gallon tank too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would go to the forum of the KTM and ask the question as well. Take what you get from here and there, weigh out the pluses and minuses and then make a decision. Both sites are going to be more biased towards their own bike. And for what it's worth, the stock FZ seat is like sitting on a 2x4 if you're riding for anymore than 50 miles. Both are good bikes, but if MPG is an issue maybe you should look into something smaller.

Reactions: ktk_ace and FZ-674

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You can't fault the KTM, high-end WP suspension, top shelf Brembo brakes, excellent chassis, and stout V-twin. The bike is truly amazing out of the crate. I have owned KTM off-road bikes, and my only complaint was reliability and parts cost. Finding competent dealers is always a concern if you can't do all of the work yourself. All in all, there is no comparison to the stock FZ. My modified FZ is another story.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you want more range, look at the SMT-same motor, same supermoto handling, just a bit better for touring with a better seat and bigger tank.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was looking at the SMT (similar bike, just geared more for touring) when choosing a new ride. What ended making me pick the FZ09 instead was

a.) The price difference
b.) Yamaha tends to be more reliable than KTM on dirtbikes (my experience)
c.) Customization options/cost. The FZ needs tweaks to get it where I want it, and I believe I can do it for cheaper than what the KTM will cost and it'll tailored to my needs.

If I was bleeding money, I would of probably went with the SMT (or the KTM Super Duke 1290 or the Ducati Multistrada) but I'm loving my FZ more and more each day.

·
Registered
957 Posts
IMO you can't compare a Japanese bike with a European bike. 90% of the time the European bikes perform better while the Japanese bikes tend to be more reliable, cheaper, and easier to maintain. Performance vs. Practicality. Pick whichever is more important to you.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I was looking at the SMT (similar bike, just geared more for touring) when choosing a new ride. What ended making me pick the FZ09 instead was

a.) The price difference
b.) Yamaha tends to be more reliable than KTM on dirtbikes (my experience)
c.) Customization options/cost. The FZ needs tweaks to get it where I want it, and I believe I can do it for cheaper than what the KTM will cost and it'll tailored to my needs.

If I was bleeding money, I would of probably went with the SMT (or the KTM Super Duke 1290 or the Ducati Multistrada) but I'm loving my FZ more and more each day.
Almost the same story here. The SMT just felt more suited to what I wanted to do out of the box but the FZ is almost there with a few mods and lots of money still left over! Plus, I always love nakeds more than plastic fairings..so it worked out.

IMO you can't compare a Japanese bike with a European bike. 90% of the time the European bikes perform better while the Japanese bikes tend to be more reliable, cheaper, and easier to maintain. Performance vs. Practicality. Pick whichever is more important to you.

True that. Though I would say the Europeans are getting better at the reliability and maintenance part...albeit very slowly. The FZ strikes such a good balance that it does not feel like a compromise.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My buddy owns the Local shop and carries KTM and Yamaha. So I often get to see and hear him working on both brands.

The KTM's are really sexy but hang on to your wallet!!!

He was working on the big V-Twin road racer version. Think it was a 1300cc. It was a crash repair. $20,000 bike and just the radiator was $2000. Yikes!

The bike was not hurt all that bad but the repair bill was more than I paid for my FZ09.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
I bought a 2011 KTM 990 SMR with 4500 miles on it june this year And I've test rode a FZ09, I love my KTM ! You will too. I can't even say anything negative about the bike!
Love that video clip. Reminds me a great deal of the roads I ride in north Georgia and North Carolina.

I will say that my KTM pals, prefer the 950 over the 990 SMR. And the difference in size between the SMT and the FZ is quite noticeable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would go to the forum of the KTM and ask the question as well. Take what you get from here and there, weigh out the pluses and minuses and then make a decision. Both sites are going to be more biased towards their own bike. And for what it's worth, the stock FZ seat is like sitting on a 2x4 if you're riding for anymore than 50 miles. Both are good bikes, but if MPG is an issue maybe you should look into something smaller.
Maybe a Prius! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts