Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I rough on my visors? Seems as if no matter what brand of lid I have, bout every 3-5k I'm replacing my shield.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Mine have always lasted as long as the helmet 3-5 years and typically look almost good as new. That includes every style; clear, smoke, and iridium.

Reactions: Quasi

·
Registered
190 Posts
^ I laughed.

Typically, like above mine last the life of the helmet. I had one fall off my back seat when getting gas and I had to replace it but other then that they don't really get scratched.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
What's a helmet.....????

j/k

Reactions: MoFZio and beck

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Am I rough on my visors? Seems as if no matter what brand of lid I have, bout every 3-5k I'm replacing my shield.
Are you cleaning them with sandpaper or anything else made of paper like paper towels? The paper towels are very abrasive to face shields.

My face shields typically last 10-15k miles (about a year).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yea weird, I've only ever "had" to replace one after a lowside on the track scraped it up good...other than that they last basically forever if you clean them gently.

·
Registered
877 Posts
When I went looking for face shields for the full face Scorpion helmet I wear,

Found some complete helmets on sale that were being closed out.

They were size XXXL , in white, which may have not had too much demand.

These helmets originally retailed for $ 160 to 180 each.

Got 5 of them for $ 45 each. :icon_thumbright:

The non fogging face shields were alomost that much by themselves.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My faceshields have always lasted the life of the helmet. When I clean them I use a microfiber type cloth or a clean t-shirt. Nothing abrasive like paper towels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I definitely believe a clean microfiber towel is the best thing to clean a shield with, even cut 1/4 of one off and carry in my jacket pocket. I also use our AMSOIL "Miracle Wash" waterless wash and wax spray on the entire helmet including shield- actually helps prevent a lot of bugs and debris from sticking and makes cleaning a lot easier. A lot of good points here, definitely ditch paper products, and whatever you use make sure it's relatively clean, don't re-use too many times without washing. Even leave a few dedicated towels for nothing but your shield. I get my microfiber towels at Sam's Club- think they were like $14 for a 30-pack. Using the right type of wax or polish every so often will definitely help. Use everyone's advice on here and your shields will last quite a long time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I use micro fiber towel and cotton gloves if I change my visor out I've been using the Arai Pro Shade so It's nice not to change from light to dark visors any more.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have Arai clear, light tint and dark tint shields that I bought new...in 2001. Over 100k miles on them and they're unscratched. The only thing I've had to do is glue the brow vents back on once or twice.

During riding season I clean them with Honda Spray Polish and a clean towel at least once a day, more frequently depending on the bug factor. Once a week I pull the shields off the helmet and wash them by hand with warm water and soap and then hit them with a light coat of wax, along with the rest of the helmet.

They are top quality materials, being Arai, but still, it's a contest now just to see how much life I can get out of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Best way I have seen to clean the visor is to soak a paper towel with water or pure white vinegar and place it on the visor to soak for 10-15 minutes, usually softens anything stuck on and can be wiped off easily and carefully. This can be done at home before a ride or at a road side diner while grabbing some lunch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bugs here in Maine are RUGGED. I commute 50 miles per day and de-bug my visor with a microfiber cloth and S100 every other day.... WEIRD.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have always had naked bikes and do a lot of commuting so my shields get a fair amount of abuse. I always clean with a clean MF cloth but with the amount of sand and dust that we have where I live I get maybe 1 - 1.5 years out of a shield due to pitting (I like a crystal clear view). If you are replacing it because of pitting then it's simply a product of your environment, if you are seeing scratching or hazing then you need to look at how you are handling/cleaning your visor.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use the pre-packaged little wipes for cleaning safety glasses, etc. They are already wet, don't scratch, store a bunch in your pockets, throw away, and I steal them from work.
I wonder if the little hand wipes you get with your chicken wings would work in a pinch ?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Sometimes I just want to go out and sharpen my skills......quick stops, quick starts, and riding half blind with a filthy shield. You never know what circumstances you're going to encounter in the future:cool:

j/k

Reactions: MoFZio
1 - 20 of 21 Posts