Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rather disappointed Yamaha couldn't put two little hooks under the seat for us for our helmets. Im not a huge fan of carrying a lock around. Im thinking of placing a small hook under the seat. The big plate the houses the seat lock mechanism, there is two small cut always on the body where it looks like a helmet hook would have been so the strap could extend under the seat without binding. Im going to go to the store tomorrow to see what I can find to mount under there but in the mean time wondering if anyone else has come up with any solutions?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What hooks are you referring to? I dont see anything that looks like it work very well under there.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've used those hooks on occasion, but my new helmet has a ratchet so I just bought a cable lock and I run it through my helmet and somewhere on a frame...problem solved and it fits under the seat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Youll hvae to take a picture. There isnt any hooks under the seat. The only hooks I can see are on the actual seat themselves and I assume it wont lock right if you look the dring thru it

·
Registered
224 Posts
Youll hvae to take a picture. There isnt any hooks under the seat. The only hooks I can see are on the actual seat themselves and I assume it wont lock right if you look the dring thru it

ill take a pic tomorrow morning. not really hooks, more like tabs near the side of the lock-in-hooks for the seat.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I keep a stout, coiled bicycle cable lock in the empty area under the rear tank mount. I can thread it through a full face helmet and or a jacket sleeve and lock them to the bike for under $10. Also in the empty cavity is a small nylon backpack that folds into itself and holds it's small fist-sized shape with a buikt in drawstring. About $7 at Walmart in the camping section and way handy for when you get to a store and remember you needed to buy ___ that won't fit in a jacket pocket.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a good idea. I usually carry a backpack though for the same reason. Even if its empty when I leave and when I come back. But I always throw a snack and bottle of water in there too. Plus Im going to throw a set of saddle bags on. I need them for commuting to work.

·
Registered
224 Posts
not as good as other bikes, but does the job.
there was a thread about this a while back, how it looks like it was intended to be for a helmet latch but then yamaha half assed it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have that helmetlok. It works great and perfect fit on the stock Fender. (crappy cellphone camera images)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have that helmetlok. It works great and perfect fit on the stock Fender. (crappy cellphone camera images)
Nice repurposing of the fender

·
Registered
962 Posts
I use this $5 Bell bicycle lock from Wal-Mart. 0003501186144_500X500.jpg

They come with a preset combination, but you can remove the C-clip, take the thing apart, and put it back with whatever combination you want. It's small enough to fit through the rings on my Shoei's, and has 5 foot of cable. I got one in red to match the bike (which my daughter absconded with) - so I had to go buy a black one (it was the last red).

Bell Bicycle EZ-Guard Lock: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just so you know, the tool kit straps to the bottom of the seat, there should have been a rubber band in there. Now it looks like you just threaded the strap thru there, what stops them from just undoing the d ring and sliding it out?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know a bicycle lock is a easy solution but I dont like it. I want a clip. Im going to fabricate something up tomorrow. Ill post results.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Under the seat there is two bolts on each side that hold the side plastics on, they have 10mm heads, I bent a hook out of some mild steel, drilled a hole and fastened it under one of the front bolts, the bend is short enough that it is all hidden under the seat.

I thought there was too much flex in the seat to use the rear bolts, If they really wanted to they could lift the seat and remove the helmet, the front bolts are at the widest and strongest part of the seat base.

I had planned to post photos today but the bride had my camera in her bag.

It is good to remember locks only stop honest people.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts