Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I don't really understand why people wear helmets that aren't full-faced. I mean, this picture shows that this style definitely helped the rider, but what happened to his chin, nose, mouth?
Did you wear a full face helmet when you rode your skateboard? Or how about when you rode your dirtbike?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I wear a full face helmet on the ATV and Dual Sport. But the helmet is a dirt bike type helmet.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Florida's Law is that Helmets aren't required so the vast majority of riders don't wear them.:(

This works out well for everyone until the rider's brains are splattered on the pavement.:(

ATGATT :)

Reactions: alnbama and Drewski

·
Registered
185 Posts
I come from riding dirt for years , the fz is my first real powerful street bike. I couldn't ride any bike with out a helmet , I mean your just asking for it. I've been camping and thought I'm just gonna go for a short Cruz on the old dirt bike I don't need all my gear and I swear every time I end up wishing I would have put the gear on.
It seems to me that street riding it is even more imperative to have all the gear on , even going down at 40mph can f u up!
Today I went for a little island ride but I still wore boots ,knee pads ,mesh pants,mx body armor , padded jacket, helmet.
When you come up on those corners you gotta scratch that itch and see how fast and low you can get :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you wear a full face helmet when you rode your skateboard? Or how about when you rode your dirtbike?
I didn't on my skateboard; hell I didn't wear any kind of protection. Scars were cool at 13 years old. However I was never reaching anything over 10 mph on that. On my dirtbike though, absolutely; full face MX helmet all the time.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I agree helmet laws suck. It allows stupid people to survive and continue to breed and get in my way.
I know several of those people who've survived......A few are members here.:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I saw some impact graph on helmets and a huge portion of the damage was on the face and chin area so I wear a full faced helmet. Plus I feel like an imbecile when I wear a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet because I look like The Great Gazzoo from the Flintstones.
Fixed that for you.:)

Reactions: Fairbanksdmt

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I saw some impact graph on helmets and a huge portion of the damage was on the face and chin area so I wear a full faced helmet. Plus I feel like an imbecile when I wear a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet because I look like the great gazzoo from the Flintstones.
I agree I can't afford to mess up the money maker. Thank you for the great gazoo reference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You've gotta ask yourself, how much is my head worth?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
$603.00 on sale at Revzilla

No tax & free shipping:cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I cringe when I see young girls riding their scooters to work with no protective clothing on - just in and dress and high heels (that part is good ��).

Maybe they need to see what happens at the hospital when they come off - the dreaded wire brush to get all the gravel rash out...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I cringe when I see young girls riding their scooters to work with no protective clothing on - just in and dress and high heels (that part is good ��).

Maybe they need to see what happens at the hospital when they come off - the dreaded wire brush to get all the gravel rash out...
So many people on scooters wear 0 protection. Like the pavement is any softer because you fell off a scooter. Or a scooter is impact resistant to collision. Ignorant bliss of this kind will be sharply inundated by terrific pain.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A full faced helmet saved my life on my mountain bike. Granted I was doing some freeride/downhill type stuff, but without the extra rear protection of the helmet I would be either disabled or dead. Strangely enough it barely has a scratch on it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fully agree with Desert Rat ... as said before:

Free market. Helmets, much like seat belts, should never be mandated by the government. That doesn't mean I'm anti-helmet or anti-safety, simply anti-intrusive-government. It can be argued that every party, including the government and even your employer, has some minor stake in a vehicle accident. Those with the real stake, however, are the rider (or driver/owner) and the insurance company. I would much rather my insurance company mandate helmet use under the threat of non-payment of claims, or my employer under the threat of unemployment or non-payment of benefits, than my government mandate it because they know better than I.

I wear a helmet (+gear) (on cruiser/sport/dual sport/any bike) for my family because they need their husband/father/income generator. I wear a helmet for me because I'm not an idiot and don't want to become one due to a MC accident. I wear a helmet because my life insurance policy, held by my employer, won't pay out if I don't. I wear a helmet because my health insurance, held by my employer, won't pay out if I don't.

This is real motivation for being safe, not a government mandate. Willing to bet that if government stepped out, private enterprise would step in. Helmet use might actually go up!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's like seat belt laws, and don't drink and drive laws, and speed limit laws. Unfortunately the mass majority has no common sense so they need laws to try and stop them from killing the rest of us with their stupidity.

P.S. - I hate auto correct on this damn tablet, it messes up my posts. :mad:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts