Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys hooking your helmet to your bike, so you don't have to carry it around with you? My RV (GL1800) has a couple hooks under the tour pack to secure the helmets, but I haven't figured it out on the Niner yet.

Let me know how you guys are handling this issue.

Thanks,
Keith.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Type "helmet lock" in the search box above. Several options come up from buying options to simple homemade solutions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Car Fuel line

I attached the helmet lock to the left handlebar. Seems to work. Photo is upside down because my iphone is confused. :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
How are you guys hooking your helmet to your bike, so you don't have to carry it around with you? My RV (GL1800) has a couple hooks under the tour pack to secure the helmets, but I haven't figured it out on the Niner yet.

Let me know how you guys are handling this issue.

Thanks,
Keith.
I forgot the site I ordered mine from, but it was an oem distributor in Japan. Mounts to the passenger peg. If you decide to go with a lock, try to make sure it's a wafer lock mechanism, they are very easy to re key yourself to use the ignition key with.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just put my lid on the handlebars. Never had a problem with thieves or vandals.

If I'm going into work, I'll take it in with me. Mostly because I don't want any goose shit in it during work (there are tons of geese at my work.)

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok, I just did a little search and found the other 'helmet lock' thread. One member suggested that there is a built in helmet lock on either side under the seat. They are just plastic tabs that you can hook the dring over. I tried it and it does work although the right hand side is vulnerable to forcing the seat up and yanking on the helmet. The left hand side tab worked great and I couldn't get the helmet off without removing the seat. Anyway it works in a pinch if you must leave the helmet on the bike. The lock I have is more conveniently placed on the handlebar. Either way I wouldn't leave a $600 lid unattended on the bike. My $60 Bilt on the other hand...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I use a coiled bicycle lock cable with a built-in combination lock. It's kept on the frame rail behind the footrest and looped between the handlebar risers when used. I don't have faith the seat couldn't be yanked off and am not going to test mine. I also pull the cable through the tankbag handle to secure the bag to the bike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Make one for free

If you would like to make a free hook similar to mine try this.

Cut the straight piece out of the bottom of a wire coat hanger.

Bend it in half.

Put the two cut ends in a vice.

Put a pipe or bar through the loop you have made and start spinning the bar while pulling away from the vice, about 8 or 10 full twists ??

The wire will twist over itself and will look a bit like a drill bit.

The loop where the bar was is where the mounting bolt will go when you fit it to the bike.

Now just bend it back and cut off the excess.

Twisting the wire forms the loop and gives it strength.

Choosing the right size bar is the key.

Because the seat is fitted over the loop this also gives the system strength and hides your sins.

Cheers Rolex

Reactions: broncsrule21

·
Registered
420 Posts
None of these work unless your helmet has a D-ring. Mine doesn't. I like the bicycle lock suggestion.

·
Registered
464 Posts
None of these work unless your helmet has a D-ring. Mine doesn't. I like the bicycle lock suggestion.
My helmet doesn't have a d-ring either, I have a speed and strength and it has a ratcheting/quick release strap. I used to still hook the strap on a helmet hook on my last bike but my last also had the little cables that go through the d-rob so it was a bit easier for me I guess

·
Registered
111 Posts
The one made is also good for your pilions helmet.

I often drop my bride at stage shows or concerts and the helmet stays in place while I ride and it's there if I need to pick her up again.

I do put a rubber tube on the pilion peg to stop damage to the helmet when I ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
A coiled bicycle lock between the risers will also lock your tank bag, jacket, overpants, etc. to the bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts