Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently put a deposit on one of these beautiful bikes. I currently ride a 1985 cb700. Doing some research ive noticed the fz09 stock suspension and fuel mapping are sub par my question is how vital do you veterans think it is to invest in new suspension and reflashing the ECU? Any other tips and heads up would be greatly appreciated thank you!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Suspension is key to making this bike ashine, and the ECU flash from all reports is fantastic also. I have not yet had the luxury of the ECU flash, but I did spoil myself with some suspension mods. Best money I have spent so far on the bike.

If your a lightweight person or not a very spirited rider, or just simply commute, the stock suspension may be ok for your needs. But if your set on the heavier side of the scales and like to throw the bike through some corners, the suspension will show its ugly side. Personally I think most of it comes from the poor rear shock, the front doesnt seem too bad as stock. There is however quite a bit of fork dive under heavy braking.

I rode the bike stock for 3 months nearly, and was beginning to get used to the way it handled. New suspension in yesterday, and I am in listening mode again to see how the bike responds whilst I make adjustments. But riding it stock, I had not any issue at all with the suspension except wishing it was firmer. I came from sport bikes, so the upright position and softer suspension on the naked style bike wasnt something I was used to. However, its something I now wouldnt change for the world.

If I was to recommend to someone to spend any money on any 3 things for this motorcycle, it would be suspension, ECU flash/Power Commander (or both lol) and exhaust system to give the bike some louder lungs. In that order.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I love my new suspension and ecu flash!
That said, you need to ride it before deciding on what YOU need the bike to do differently.
Many will never push the bike enough to justify the expense.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I am a fairly aggressive rider I like to visit as many canyons as I can on my days off this is all great to know

1 - 6 of 6 Posts