Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

New to the forum. Just placed a 30% deposit on a new 2021 MT09. Will be here end of December.

only passed my License in Jan so a new rider at the age of 42 but have been driving cars since the age of 18.

got a second hand Aprilia Shiver 900 straight away which I loved (was on my way to buy a second hand MT07 but saw an ad for the shiver and bought it) and sold in September. Have been looking for a new bike.
Have also been riding my friend’s brand new Ducati xDiavel S with a Termignoni system (man is it loud) and another Monster 1200 S with a termignoni system (also very loud)

recently tested a Monster, Tuono 660, RS 660. Then test ride a 2017 MT09 yesterday and went to the yamaha dealer today and put the deposit on a new one

will put a couple of pics up of the bike and some scenery when I get it.

With it being 5 weeks away, I’m thinking of ordering a tail tidy, and a full exhaust system. These aren’t stocked in dubai due to the low volume of bikes sold so I have to think about ordering if I can spare the money.

I have checked the threads, but am leaning towards the Akrapovic Carbon system (but was considering a Yoshimura or an SC or an Arrow. Would be good to be reassured that you guysthink that Akra is a safe bet in terms of sound and power

does anyone know of a good cheap tail tidywhere the plate can be under the seat at a “discreet” angle like is seen on so many bikes?

also looking for some good bar end mirrors to replace the stock ones

sorry for the long intro, but I’m keen to be part of the fam-a-lam the forum has

Thanks

Ratty

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ratty, are you UK ex-pat? Good written English if you aren't!

Tail tidy....you won't got far wrong with this one for the price. The bloke who makes them has posted on the forum somewhere aswell. Don't know if he will post to Dubai, I imagine he would though. I've got one and am well impressed.

2021+. Yamaha MT-09 & FZ-09 Tail Tidy Plug & Play. Key Lock Protection | eBay

The carbon Akra is the only one I'd entertain at the minute, you know it will be spot on and it retains the O2 sensor so won't give you any trouble on that score.

Something you haven't mentioned that I'd add to your list is an Evotech radiator guard. They're well made and decent for the money. Shame the evotech tail tidy isn't a bit cheaper, that would be worth having aswell if it weren't so damn expensive.
Yes a British expat - been over here for about 15 years now.

thanks for sending the link for the tail tidy - will check it out

I saw a video about the top 10 mods for the MT09 and the evotech radiator guard came up

I’m hoping that the TST low tail tidy will accommodate the dubai plate as well as indicators

I will probably end up with the carbon Akra but like the look of the black SC or the Yoshimura exhausts

need to find a sissy bar or some sort of sturdy handles for the wife to hold on to She comes out in the evening

flippin’ waiting 5 weeks for the bike now is gonna be a ‘mare!!

but not all bad as I am riding this beast ….

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my bike is here - went to the yamaha showroom to pay the remaining 70%
This is my bike… Storm Flou
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

next to that they had a customer’s black MT09

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

I do like my colour. But the black does look nice. The blue also looks awesome

outside I saw a nice black R6

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Anyway, I have to wait for the ports to send the vehicle docs through to yamaha and then they will send them through to me so I can get the bike registered at the RTA and then they ride into the sunset

trying to get this done tomorrow morning, but seeing as Friday is a day off in the Middle East and has only just changed to a working day from jan 1st onwards, it could get delayed

let’s see

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
congratulations!

how is the riding over there?
thanks. Hopefully I can have the bike in my hands tomorrow

I have only ridden a motorbike in Dubai and not back in London. Passed in Jan 21 have have ridden my 2019 Aprilia Shiver 900 from jan to sep. From sep to present I have been riding my mates 2021 ducati xDiavel S

roads here are pretty much flat and straight so you can get up to some good speed andweave in and out. But dubai is a big melting pot of nationalities who all bring their driving habits from their own countries, including us Brits. So you do have to be careful as not everyone understands the concept of “Mirror, Signal, Manoeuver”. You do have to ride defensively.

You don’t really want to be riding in the older parts of dubai in peak hours

I am gonna experiment with the GoPro and try and start a moto vlog YouTube channel as I am sure it will come in handy to help the kids when (if) they want to start something like that a few years down the line

so as part of the vlogs, I’ll try and show some dubai scenery and the cool cars that are out here

I’ll keep riding every day no doubt, but need to see if I will be committed enough to do the vlogs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE

Sharjah ports authority haven’t released the docs for yamaha and me to register the bikes

will have to wait till Monday and see if it can be done

another 2/3 days of waiting

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Ratty and everyone!

Just registered on the forums and came across this post.

Ratty, the black MT09 you posted above - has been booked by me! I'm waiting for the documents as well to get the bike registered!

I paid a deposit in July - and have almost had to wait 5months for it!!
Hey man - just responded to your private message as well

sorry that I put pics up of your bike before you did .

the forum is bringing people together which is great.
I have been told that Yamaha will try again at the ports on Monday - let’s see if they can get it done

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok, after some unexpected good luck, my vehicle docs came through from the ports today and I have my bike. Got it at 8:00pm. I thought that it would have been another day or so, but mine was randomly given to the dealer I think

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

I couldn’t ride until 11:30pm as I had my weekly game of football. It’s a good thing I didn’t get injured otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to ride for the next couple of days!

anyway, ended up doing about 50km with my wife riding pillion to get the toll gate card, petrol, and some late night tea

I’d rather have gone on my first ride during the day, but we had to go tonight just for a spin

Will do a ride report on the appropriate thread but my initial thoughts are that I was feeling a bit deflated from the ride in the first 10km/15km. Maybe because I was riding very slow and carefulProbably because i was spoiled over the last year of riding a Ducati monster 1200 S with a full Termignoni loud exhaust, a shiver 900 with Akra pipes, and more recently the xDiavel S with a really loud Termignoni exhaust. I’m not an experienced rider and have only ridden these bikes plus a couple of short test rides on other bikes. These bikes were loud and I felt underwhelmed with the MT09 (don’t shoot me). The brakes felt very very soft and short of stopping power (maybe because they need to bed in). But after another 15km. A tea break. And then another 20km, I started to appreciate the smoothness, the power that was only on the 3rd setting, the quick shifter, the handling, the nimbleness. I have not been riding for as long as you guys not have I ridden as many different bikes, no am I an accomplished rider, but I am really liking the bike and have defo made the right choice. Yes an SP model would have been nice, but they aren’t available here.

first 10km - meh
First 50km - yes please !!!
Really looking forward to trying it out on Riding mode 2 and taking the revs higher, but will do this as I approach 600-800km

I really do like the bike (please don’t shoot me for my first 10km assessment)

I am also not taking it past 5,000 rpm at the moment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fact that you were carrying a pillion wouldn't have helped that early experience - you may (or may not) have been riding a little too carefully and 'defensively' with wifey on the back, and/ or the additional weight may have had something to do with it. But whatever the reason, 50km or so on a brand-new bike simply isn't enough to get a real handle on its character and characteristics, especially as you are a self-confessed relatively inexperienced rider - but we have all been there, done that at some stage! . Stick with it...
thanks bud, yeah I have to ride carefully with the wife. She really liked it. She thought it was the smoothest out of all the bikes and I’m sure a big part of this was the quick shifter

I’ll get some solo riding in during the day tomorrow. And then out with the wife tomorrow evening

don’t get me wrong, I really do like the bike. And I think I was comparing the sound to the other after market exhausts a bit too much

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The more you ride it the more you'll be saying "F&ck Yeah!" in the helmet. The other bikes you've ridden are nice bikes but they come with a premium price tag. Dollar for dollar, I don't think you find a better value.
my wife and I discussed this after the ride. She was that I didn’t buy the new monster, the Tuono 660 or RS 660, BMW F900R - all 4 we tested with her as pillion and with me riding solo.

I still would like an MT10 but that will be a bike just for me, or was thinking about an R9 when they come out (although I probably wouldn’t be able to live with race bike ergonomics) - but that is if and when

i‘be already got bar end mirrors, and am probably going to order the TST low mount tail tidy, and an AliExpress wind shield - I want the Austin Racing ti exhaust but they said during the 1st quarter which means thatI’ll have it mid-year I suppose

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have never ridden an MT-10, but have lots of experience on other very rapid large-capacity bikes, and from this I suggest that you may well find that the MT-09 will fully satisfy your needs.
yeah I’m finding this at the moment. The mt09 is doing great at the moment. Waiting for you to get the Bagster seat and give us your thoughts 😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts