Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new to the site, and am getting ready to replace my 2001 SV650 with (hopefully) an FZ-09. I love the SV, but it's the only bike I've every owned, and it's been about eight years, so it's time for something new. I'm into the new trend of naked bikes hitting our shores, and I absolutely fell in love with the FZ from the first time I sat on it. It's like a more comfortable version of my faithful SV, and I feel like a child waiting for Christmas for my chance to test ride one.

I'd never even thought about buying a new bike, and if I can find one used come spring I might not, but for the price it's not out of the question. I'm pretty picky about motorcycles, and while I've ridden lots that I like, I've never considered replacing the SV until now. This FZ though, it checks all the right boxes to me, and all of it's shortcomings are pretty much the same as the SV, and they never bothered me much. Fun to have some projects anyway. I'm a fairly sedate rider, so I doubt the sub-par suspenders will really get to me for a long time, and that's an easy enough fix if I ever want to do anything about it.

Anyway, with a little luck (and this impending promotion) There will be a Yamaha in my garage before long. With a little more luck, it'll be next to the old SV, which might become a track bike... Now I'm really dreaming, but dreams don't cost anything so dream I shall.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ahoy there! I started out on a 2000 SV650 which I owned for 5 years before "upgrading" (and I use that term loosely) to a 2006 ZX6R. I got rid of that bike (happily) after a year for the FZ and now I'm loving it. I know exactly what to expect so if you have any questions about the transition feel free to PM me!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Make the jump! You won't regret it. My wife had 3 SV's but she stepped up to a Gixxer 750. But I prefer the upright position of the FZ09 not to mention the power. An FZ09 makes more torque at 2000 rpm's than an SV does at peak power so it's gonna be a big change for you. But in a good way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome gang, I've always liked the SV community, and I get the sense I'll fit right in here.

I'm in Boulder, Colorado. Some great riding around here, though less since our flood last year. Just took the SV up what used to be my favorite road, only to find it's not fully pavement anymore. I mean, half the road fell into a river a year ago, so all things considered it's looking okay, just gotta wait for next season and hope they are done. And hopefully I'll be riding it on an FZ.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
welcome - a lot of guys here are SV converts including myself (i had an 04) - the 09 to me is everything the SV was missing. YOu'll love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are making it tough to make the responsible choice and wait till next season. The Dealer has a red FZ with a carbon Yoshi on it, it'll take all my willpower not to go take out a loan tomorrow...

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hopefully you will soon be riding a new FZ09.....in Rapid Red no less.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Welcome to da Club...

So where are you getting the bike? Colorado is the Best for the Twisties.
Remember we have many other awesome places to ride too:
72 Motorcycle Roads in Colorado USA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome, that is a cool site, thanks man. I love Colorado, and I'm on vacation next week so I'm going to check some of those out.

As far as when I'll get the bike, that all depends. I have a possible promotion coming, so I need to see if I get that and what it does to my pay rate. Then I need to ride one, just to make sure, and then we'll see. I would love to get one before this season is over, but that might be a long shot, so more likely at the end of this winter/start of next spring.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
"....ride one to make sure..."

ZERO Chance you ride one and Not buy it, LMAO. You will Freaking Love it -- Fact :eek:

If your dealer lets you ride the Red One tomorrow consider yourself Done -- The Rapid Red is known to be The Fastest of the '09's and that exhaust will undoubtedly sound great. Good Luck with your New Addiction :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, yeah, I expect to ride it and then promptly throw money at someone till it's mine. I admit that I'm tempted by the black, but only because the SV is red and maybe I should switch it up. Red is the best color though...

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
When you see All three in person you'll immediately notice the black is called Liquid Graphite and it appears Gray. The orange is nice, and the Red is so sexy words can't capture it's beauty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True enough, although compared to my sv (650) I suspect he is correct. Gread looking grand, really dig the red wheels.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If I had spare cash, I'd be searching for an sv1000

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ntjordan, if you get the chance to test ride one, you will buy it. Coming from an active member on Svrider. My good ol' 650 didn't stand a chance to the '09. Even after all the mod's. I do have to say though, after sorting out the suspension on the Sv it did take corners better than my stock suspension on the '09. To be expected though.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Welcome to the club! I come from the SV world as well. I had to go with something other than red in the FZ to change it up. Whatever color choice you go with is the right one.

CIMG3318.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
True enough, although compared to my sv (650) I suspect he is correct. Gread looking grand, really dig the red wheels.
The FZ-09 is actually quite comparable the the SV1000S performance wise. Both end up with about a 4 lbs to 1 hr weight ratio. FZ09 is way smoother (for obvious reasons), shorter wheel base and more upright, making it more hooligan. The SV is a stump puller, but the FZ isn't far off. The Red wheels in the pic above are it setup for track time. It also doubled as a nice touring machine. Sits in the garage with 46,000 odd miles on it right now.

As to why it sits.....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts