Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had my MT-09 about 4 years now but only discovered this forum a few months ago and have been lurking heavily since so I thought I might say hi. I'm relatively mechanically minded and can learn anything from a good youtube video but am pretty new to tinkering with the motorcycle. So far I've mostly done cosmetic stuff but I've learned a lot reading through this space and gained some inspiration for a few performance mods too.

So far I've added the exhaust, tail tidy, crash bobbins, adaptive LED headlight and LED blinkers, grips and mirrors.

I always thought the shock was terrible in longer corners so I happy to read everybody on here feels the same. Next plans are braided brake lines and suspension upgrades, although I'm jealous of how easy it seems to be to buy parts online in the states. Our Australian retail sites are a nightmare to navigate.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Look at that headlight! More pics of that. What makes it adaptive? Looks like an XSR Upgrade.
Welcome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at that headlight! More pics of that. What makes it adaptive? Looks like an XSR Upgrade.
Welcome!

I’m not sure how to upload a video to demonstrate but the array of LED lights progressively come on the further you lean the bike over to give you peripheral lighting as your corner. I got it from motodemic and the arrangement isn’t mt-09 specific but they include a bracket for mounting off the forks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The adaptive lighting isn't super bright but it certainly helps when you are making a few tight corners around a dark suburb at night. But compared to the stock headlight on the older models like mine the LED high beam makes a huge difference to country roads though. Its like a spot light shining miles down the road and I love it.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't get it for the style though! I wanted to try something a bit different.

·
Registered
Batmobile
861 Posts
Welcome, I'm not a huge fan of the round lights, bug something about the mirrors you have makes me dig it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome, I'm not a huge fan of the round lights, bug something about the mirrors you have makes me dig it!
Honestly I’m not 100% sold on the underbar mirrors yet. I like the way they look off the bike so I’ve persisted for a while to see if I get used to them but they are so far out of my field of view while I ride I don’t feel safe.

Since I took that photo I’ve flipped them up above the bar to try it out and I feel like I can locate them a lot faster in a quick glance.

Anybody feel uncomfortable without a mirror in their field of view?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,348 Posts
Honestly I’m not 100% sold on the underbar mirrors yet. I like the way they look off the bike so I’ve persisted for a while to see if I get used to them but they are so far out of my field of view while I ride I don’t feel safe.

Since I took that photo I’ve flipped them up above the bar to try it out and I feel like I can locate them a lot faster in a quick glance.

Anybody feel uncomfortable without a mirror in their field of view?
I tried my bar ends 'under' the bars too - but couldn't get a good field of view with them down there. I don't have a problem with having to 'glance' down to see them. In my car my side mirrors aren't in my field of view either so I guess it feels 'normal' to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My problem with them not being within my field of view is that when I’m filtering through traffic I have to look down and I lose site of what’s coming up ahead while I’m still moving towards slow/stopped cars.
That’s feels super sketchy to me.
I’d rather have what’s coming up in front at least in my peripheral at all times.

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With a number of Tracers, a Tracer GT, and more recently an SP under my belt I went the other way, fitting a pair of E Bay mirror risers/ extenders. These took the mirrors up by 35mm and out by 45mm. This gave a wider spread of view by 90mm (about 3.5 inches), vastly improving the sight of what's behind and all but eliminating the view of my shoulders..

View attachment 161912
View attachment 161913 View attachment 161914 View attachment 161915 View attachment 161916
Oh if I did more touring/highway driving I would consider something similar. Most my riding is just bopping around town

1 - 16 of 16 Posts