Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everybody just put my deposit down at my local Yamaha dealership yesterday for a liquid graphite FZ-09! I'm a 6' 200lb 29 years old and I've ridden Honda and KTM dirtbikes most of my life but this will be my first time on the street. I'm extremely excited about this and I'll be lurking on the forums reading as much as I can. My goal right now is to understand what my first 10 mods will be right off the bat. I'm thinking of the following, not necessarily in this order:

1. Tail tidy
2. Frame/fork/swingarm sliders and bar ends
3. Engine case savers
4. Brake and clutch levers with SS lines
5. Tank guard/grips
6. Vapor box delete
7. Set sag
8. Wind screen
9. ECU flash?
10. Steering damper

Your input is welcomed as I'm unsure of the brands I'll be going with and if my list is on par with what novice riders should be doing. I look forward to future discussions.

-Greg

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
welcome! You and i are about the same size and weight - suspension and ecu flash should be up there in your first mods but ride the bike first - depends on your riding style - the susepsnion will do but you'll likely want to upgrade - check out Stoltec Motos thread for more info on both of these things

there are numerous threads for your other topics - tail tidy/bar ends/steering dampener.

Tail tidy was the first thing i did along with bar end mirrors and windscreen (finally coming today). Lot of options out there - really depends on how you'll be riding the FZ.

Eitherway, it's a damn blast - enjoy and ride safe.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
With any luck, I'll be back in the Norcal area soon! It for me is the best place to ride EVAR!!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Welcome to the 09 and this forum.

Your dirt riding is great for street skills and the 09's rider position will help you feel at home. Put some time in reading about street and sport riding to learn the differences etc between dirt and street. The Keith Code books etc. MSF courses, track schools for street riders, track days are all great experience too.

·
Vendor
2,395 Posts
Welcome to the sick, sick addiction.

If you want a proper tail tidy (# 1 on your list)... I'd recommend checking out the integrated tail light/turn signals + a Graves fender eliminator (unless you can DIY). You really can't get any cleaner-looking than that!

Also get your suspension sorted and make sure you have the proper protective gear!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcoming guys, I appreciate your input.

Welcome to the sick, sick addiction.

If you want a proper tail tidy (# 1 on your list)... I'd recommend checking out the integrated tail light/turn signals + a Graves fender eliminator (unless you can DIY). You really can't get any cleaner-looking than that!

Also get your suspension sorted and make sure you have the proper protective gear!
Per my OP those mod options are not necessarily in order, that was more of a quick mind-dump so to speak. I just wanted to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I'll certainly look into your recommendations! Gonna do a LOT of shopping for parts and gear this weekend.

Welcome to the 09 and this forum.

Your dirt riding is great for street skills and the 09's rider position will help you feel at home. Put some time in reading about street and sport riding to learn the differences etc between dirt and street. The Keith Code books etc. MSF courses, track schools for street riders, track days are all great experience too.
The riding position of the FZ is one of the major reasons I'm going this route opposed to a sport bike. I'll take a look at the Keith Code books. I'm scheduled to take the CHP rider's course in a couple weeks, that should help.

With any luck, I'll be back in the Norcal area soon! It for me is the best place to ride EVAR!!
I'm definitely looking forward to rides up and down Highway 1 along the coast line.

welcome! You and i are about the same size and weight - suspension and ecu flash should be up there in your first mods but ride the bike first - depends on your riding style - the susepsnion will do but you'll likely want to upgrade - check out Stoltec Motos thread for more info on both of these things

there are numerous threads for your other topics - tail tidy/bar ends/steering dampener.

Tail tidy was the first thing i did along with bar end mirrors and windscreen (finally coming today). Lot of options out there - really depends on how you'll be riding the FZ.

Eitherway, it's a damn blast - enjoy and ride safe.
Oh I've been stalking Stoltec's thread for the past week. Lots of good stuff on there. Wish my pocket book was deeper but I'll get there. My main purpose for this bike is to have a nicely setup weekend warrior for day trips of approx. 300-400 miles round trip while also being able to use it as a DD if needed. We'll see how it goes...

Again, thank you all for your input.

-Greg

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For your weight and riding goals you can probably significantly upgrade your suspension for just a small fraction the cost of a high end suspension. Stiffer fork springs and thicker oil from Stoltec.

For the rear check out http://www.fz09.org/forum/19-parts-sale-wanted/1756-fs-2009-zx10-rear-shock.html and threads on this forum about using Kawasaki shocks on the 09.

CHP rider's course? California highway patrol? I guess it will be like a MSF course or their version of it, cool.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
welcome! I am in San Jose and have done a lot of mods to my fz09 and I'm a MSF ridercoaches. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What's up everybody just put my deposit down at my local Yamaha dealership yesterday for a liquid graphite FZ-09! I'm a 6' 200lb 29 years old and I've ridden Honda and KTM dirtbikes most of my life but this will be my first time on the street. I'm extremely excited about this and I'll be lurking on the forums reading as much as I can. My goal right now is to understand what my first 10 mods will be right off the bat. I'm thinking of the following, not necessarily in this order:

1. Tail tidy
2. Frame/fork/swingarm sliders and bar ends
3. Engine case savers
4. Brake and clutch levers with SS lines
5. Tank guard/grips
6. Vapor box delete
7. Set sag
8. Wind screen
9. ECU flash?
10. Steering damper

Your input is welcomed as I'm unsure of the brands I'll be going with and if my list is on par with what novice riders should be doing. I look forward to future discussions.

-Greg
Hi there. I'm also in the Bay Area and was curious to know which dealer did you go with?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi there. I'm also in the Bay Area and was curious to know which dealer did you go with?
When I was looking for my bike in late November, no local dealers had the in stock, and SJ Yamaha didn't even return two messages that I left for the sales team. I had a deposit on one at GP Sports, but found one in stock at Wilson's - in Fresno. They delivered it the next day for $200. I'm not patient so I went that route. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Howzit bud,

Looks like we have very simular backgrounds and both new on the road. Cant wait to get mine next week. The wait is killing me :-(

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I was looking for my bike in late November, no local dealers had the in stock, and SJ Yamaha didn't even return two messages that I left for the sales team. I had a deposit on one at GP Sports, but found one in stock at Wilson's - in Fresno. They delivered it the next day for $200. I'm not patient so I went that route. Good luck with your search.
Welcome CaliDreamin, good choice on bike and color. Big difference on the street is unpredictable car drivers, they really don't see you and say so after most altercations...if you remember to ride like you're invisble to autos you will do well, NEVER assume they will stay in their lane and do as you would expect them to do and ride predicatably yourself so that they know where to expect to see you...

SJ Yamaha answered my call (early Feb.) but was quoting $10k + OTD, if they could find one..no thanks! I was told by other dealers mid March they'd be showing up but the OTD prices still were a bit high compared to other areas.

Would also like to know where you ordered your -09 from, pricing? Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
welcome! I am in San Jose and have done a lot of mods to my fz09 and I'm a MSF ridercoaches. Let me know if I can help.
I'll be sure to send you a PM once I have my bike!
GP Sports in San Jose. They quoted me just under $10k. My pops is a vet rider of over 40 years and he was telling me I could find a better deal in LA. Not sure as to why this is but I'm going to do some more research. If I can find one down there I'll simply eat the $100 deposit.
For your weight and riding goals you can probably significantly upgrade your suspension for just a small fraction the cost of a high end suspension. Stiffer fork springs and thicker oil from Stoltec.

For the rear check out http://www.fz09.org/forum/19-parts-sale-wanted/1756-fs-2009-zx10-rear-shock.html and threads on this forum about using Kawasaki shocks on the 09.

CHP rider's course? California highway patrol? I guess it will be like a MSF course or their version of it, cool.
Yes, I need to read up on Stoltec's thread(s) as I'll probably be purchasing his rear shock and fork inserts.
California Highway Patrol rider's course lets you bypass the DMV test and I'd imagine it's a pretty informative class.
Howzit bud,

Looks like we have very simular backgrounds and both new on the road. Cant wait to get mine next week. The wait is killing me :-(
I just want to have mine already. Congrats on your purchase!
Welcome CaliDreamin, good choice on bike and color. Big difference on the street is unpredictable car drivers, they really don't see you and say so after most altercations...if you remember to ride like you're invisble to autos you will do well, NEVER assume they will stay in their lane and do as you would expect them to do and ride predicatably yourself so that they know where to expect to see you...

SJ Yamaha answered my call (early Feb.) but was quoting $10k + OTD, if they could find one..no thanks! I was told by other dealers mid March they'd be showing up but the OTD prices still were a bit high compared to other areas.

Would also like to know where you ordered your -09 from, pricing? Thanks, Mark
Yeah I'm actually still weary of getting on the street however it's been something I've wanted to do for years now... I think getting the bike in order to where I"m comfortable and confident on it along with installing some nice, bright, LED's will help me out. But as you said, there are a lot of 'oblivious' drivers out there switching lanes w/o looking.
As I've stated earlier, I went to GP Sports in San Jose and they quoted me just under $10k out the door. So I'm going to look around at other vendors in the Southern CA region to see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck finding a bike soon! Which color are you looking for?

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Southern California dealers don't have to pay the shipping according to Steve at the Gilroy dealer. Freight is typically in the $400+ range so you theoretically can save that at least. Nice guy-, very helpful by the way. He searched their dealer system and found every dealer who showed one in stock (not always updated though). I would have preferred to buy from him, but they could not get one in at the time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Holy smokes they add 2 grand for a few hoses and a charcoal canister?!?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome, I'm in SF and a proud owner of a grey and blue.. Picked mine up in Sacramento for 9.5k back in November, no. 134 off the production line, I love running up HW1 and skyline! Don't overly mind the city riding either, kinda got use to it in Sydney before moving here in June.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts