Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I don't own an FZ 09, but my husband does and, though he rides more than I do, I do take great joy in going on trips with him. He really wants me to get my own bike, and I'm not sure what would suit me best - I'm a skinny lil' weakling. It's good to be able to peruse this bike forum and get my own take on the bike and its quirks and I've noticed a lot of other women here who ride. I've heard nothing but raving reviews, so maybe my husband might get his wish and I'll break down and get my own bike.

Thank you!!

·
Banned
739 Posts
I suggest getting a smaller dirt bike first bike and learning off road on that. Buy a helmet and gloves. Then take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginning rider course (They give you a small bike light weight street bike to use). At the end of the course they let you take your license test to get the motorcycle endorsement. Then a 250cc street bike for a year or more. Definitely not a FZ-09.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do you have any previous riding experience?

My wife wanted to ride as well - she took the msf brc course before buying a bike and quickly realized even a 250cc bike was a bit much for her and decided shed be better off as a passenger. It was the best money we ever spent.

Not saying you'll have the same experience but if you don't have any prior riding experience I strongly recommend this.

Also if you're looking at the 09 specifically - I would strongly recommend a lower powered bike to get your feet wet first. There are plenty of threads on where with people asking the same question for you to understand why it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Whether you have lots of riding experience or not, I highly recommend taking a motorcycle driver training course. A good course is really worth it, and it's a great way to build your confidence and make sure that you really want your own bike. If you have already taken a course, there are also lots of advanced course you can take, or refresher course if you are feeling a bit rusty.

You mentioned that you are "a skinny lil' weakling", that is not a bad thing when it comes to motorcycles. It just means you don't need as big a bike, as some of us need, to have fun.

As for the bike, it is a good idea to start with something smaller to again build your confidence and log a bit of seat time with. The last thing you want is something to big that makes it so your rides are not enjoyable ones. Which is the whole idea of riding is to enjoy it and have it so you want to go again.

Good luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome. My life is now divided into two parts, I am a new man now because there is only two periods in my life... Before the FZ and after the FZ.. Theres nothing else to say roun here

·
Registered
30 Posts
Everyone who has posted to this so far has offered excellent advice and insight. Something else to add to consider- whether you do or don't have practical access to an area to start out riding off-road to get a feel for riding, consider checking into some of the more advanced track schools like Jason Pridmore's Star School and the like. There are a lot of these out there, and some of them offer motorcycle rentals if you don't have your own bike or don't want to use your own. I attended a 2-day Jason Pridmore Star School at Loudon New Hampshire back in 02 (used my own bike) before I got into racing. They used to rent SV650's, but not sure what they use now. The schools can be pricey and bike rental will add to that, but the skills learned/honed are priceless. They divide you into groups based on experience/skill level, and split your time between on-track and classroom. Even before this though, I would at the very least try to find a friend with a small lesser-powered bike to let you try it out in a big open parking lot. It just depends on your prior collective experiences and confidence and competence levels as to where you should start.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hi all! I don't own an FZ 09, but my husband does and, though he rides more than I do, I do take great joy in going on trips with him. He really wants me to get my own bike, and I'm not sure what would suit me best - I'm a skinny lil' weakling. It's good to be able to peruse this bike forum and get my own take on the bike and its quirks and I've noticed a lot of other women here who ride. I've heard nothing but raving reviews, so maybe my husband might get his wish and I'll break down and get my own bike.

Thank you!!
Go sit on as many as you can. Find one that you like. Buy it. Ride it. Don't be scared. Don't over think it. It takes all of the fun out of it. Get some professional training. Get some gear. And ride.

I have seen so many threads on here and other forums like this: "is the fz-09 for me"; "What bike for a beginner"; "is this a good starter bike"; ect; people over think motorcycling. The main reason for motorcycling is to have fun. That should always be priority number one. When you try and make it a science, it becomes mundane and a chore. Leave that to the guys racing around a track that need every extra millisecond of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts