Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After long hours of online research to find my next street bike, I'm so excited about my new 2021 MT09.

It did feel weird driving 60 miles in snowy conditions to pick up a bike that I won’t be riding for the next 5 months, but in the end I’m happy. I can use the winter months to make some rider mods :)

Once I’m comfortable taking my wife on rides on my Ninja 400, we’ll switch to the MT09 as our main bike. Baby steps.

I have to say, the info I found on this site really helped me understand what the strong and weak things are about the bike before I made the purchase. I’m confident that if I run into issues that folks and resources on this site will be of great help!

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Weak points? IDK watchu mean!
Not sure if the comment was said jokingly, so I'll just give some background...:)

I owned a 2009 CBR600RR and a 2003 R6 and I never had any problems with either one that I couldn't fix myself.

But then I switched to a 2018 Triumph 765R which had a terrible grinding feel at the clutch lever (but the root problem was in the clutch assembly). I sold that 765R to fund a new bike purchase.

When researching the MT-09, I got to read up on what issues others have faced on the 2021 and previous gens. Some things that came up are needing to replace the cam chain tensioner, synching the throttle bodies, engine cutting out in idle or slow speeds, rattling in the clutch basket, vibrations betweesn 4000-6000 rpm, among other things.

But I think I also got good info on diagnosis and remedies. Fingers-crossed, I'll be able to deal with known issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
CCT is a thing of the past, fixed from MY2016 onwards. Clutch issues also seem to be more common on the early FZ’s. Your new 2021 has almost zero common parts with any previous FZ/MT, and so far we haven’t seen too many issues. A few instrument glitches… a couple of quick-shifter issues, I think. About it… 🤞☺
Thanks for this info...it will help me focus on just riding the bike sensibly next year instead of always being on the lookout for issues.

Yeah it sounds like the quick-shifter only works smoothly from 2nd or 3rd gear and up, and in higher rpms. This is the same as my aftermarket Bazzaz setup on the CBR. I'll probably mostly use the QS when on track and B-roads. I've never had an auto-blipper so I'm excited to try that at corners with late apex.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts