Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I'm waiting to take delivery of an FJ-09 this week, though the MN winter suggests that I won't get to ride it for a while. I guess that gives me time to consider my farkling plan...

Is it spring yet?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome to the best danged forum on the internet. Keep up posted and send some pictures, we will send sunshine and goodwill.

Ride Safe.

101_1520.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does this forum deal with discussions of shortcomings for the FJ-09? I was recently had the admin of a different forum swear at me and call me names because I suggested that the forum was less valuable because we aren't allowed to talk about problems or issues with the bike (like the ridiculous 110 mph speed limiter for the US bikes). Another guy had his post removed because he said he would rather buy the Versys 1K over the FJ-09. Huh?

I hope this board isn't like that, I've got about 11,400 reasons that suggest I'm gonna LOVE this bike, but blind brand loyalty isn't my thing.

I hope this forum will welcome honest, unvarnished opinions of the bike. Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Welcome from a relocated native Minnesotan. Austin to be exact.

Congrats on your future FJ. I'm sure you'll love it. And don't be afraid to critique it here. Owners on this site tell it like it is and we all learn from it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase, I for one am very interested in your thoughts and opinions on the FJ09, both positive and negative.

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
654 Posts
motorcicle snow shoes.jpg
you could always go this route if you cant wait until spring :cool:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
How does this forum deal with discussions of shortcomings for the FJ-09? I was recently had the admin of a different forum swear at me and call me names because I suggested that the forum was less valuable because we aren't allowed to talk about problems or issues with the bike (like the ridiculous 110 mph speed limiter for the US bikes). Another guy had his post removed because he said he would rather buy the Versys 1K over the FJ-09. Huh?
it's not just about what you say, but how you say it.

there's nothing wrong with pointing out legitimate issues, or giving constructive criticism - we all benefit from that. on the other hand, some people constantly complain and whine about the same issues over and over again, issues that often already have multiple solutions (e.g. the fz's snatchy throttle and soft suspension). when the solutions are pointed out to them, they then say 'why should i have to fix this?'. fortunately, online and in real life, these people are readily spotted and easily ignored.

that said, has it been confirmed that the fj has a 110mph limiter? if it's anything like the fz's limiter, it won't be easily defeated. the only confirmed, surefire way of defeating the fz's limiter thus far is a reflash. likely the same will hold true for the fj.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

Yes, I do own a Vespa--a 1970 Rally 180. It currently needs paint and a few repairs, but I hope to restore it soon.2

As for the limiter--the Euro bikes are supposedly ungoverned, or at least only limited to 130 mph or so--but this is just what I have read.

The US bikes ARE speed limited. 110 or 115, depending on which owner you ask. It is presumed to require a reflash to fix. It looks like $350, plus postage for the ECU.

Still can't wait to get this bike. And of course, today, in Mpls, we're supposed to get 3" of snow. Biggest snowfall here since January 8th.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Give it time on the reflash. Someone will come up with a cheaper flash than that. Not very many FJ-09s out in the public's hands yet....

Reactions: River

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As long as the flash is available soon, I'll even pay the $350, assuming they offer a flash for a stock pipe. I like the stealthy qualities of a stock pipe, but I want the limiter removed, and full power available in any gear.

If I send in the ECU within a week or two, I shouldn't miss any of the short riding season here in Mpls. That beats blowing a week or 10 day long hole in my riding season shipping the ECU off later this year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello from Chattanooga, saw you on the other board and I hope this goes a bit smoother for you. Don't know what the issue is over there so I won't participate, just look and read.
Brian

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Vespadaddy......First, welcome to the forum and secondly, congrats on getting the new FJ. I haven't been on the other forum that you are referring to, so I can't comment about it...and probably wouldn't even if I had been there. This forum operates under a posted set of rules that highlight civility towards each other. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions and are free to express them.....RESPECTFULLY. I don't know the circumstance(s) that took place on another forum, but here, myself and the other mods will do whatever is necessary to provide every member here with a forum that is a fun and informative place to be when it comes to motorcycles in general, and FZs and FJs in particular. I have personally banned a couple of members for disrespecting a fellow member. We aren't too big on sexist remarks either, as we have several female members here and they are going to receive equal and fair treatment also. Again, welcome...and feel free to PM me or any of the Mods or Admins with issues.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks Triplethreat, this forum sounds like it will be right up my alley.
IMO this forum pretty much encompasses the Fz-09, Fz-07, and Fj-09, all the other forums I've visited feel cheap and lack common updates.
BTW where about in MN are you located? I live in Afton, MN but I go to school at UND in Grand Forks, ND.

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMO this forum pretty much encompasses the Fz-09, Fz-07, and Fj-09, all the other forums I've visited feel cheap and lack common updates.
BTW where about in MN are you located? I live in Afton, MN but I go to school at UND in Grand Forks, ND.
Afton? I grew up in Cottage grove in the late 80's. I live in Mpls now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Welcome to the site Vespadaddy! Great to have you aboard the good ship FZ09.org.

I am glad to hear that you have concerns about the kind of place that we are here at FZ09.org. It shows that you care about where you hang your hat. We care about where you hang your hat too! :)

As for shortcomings, gripes, raves, kudos, the whole nine yards, we want to hear it. If you are having an issue, we want to know about it and maybe someone will be able to help and maybe another person will be able to learn from your issue. As bobby said earlier, Negative Nancy is quickly labeled as such around here and the forum just keeps humming right along. As for those that have issues and want real help and solutions, the forum members are right there to help and offer advice.

As there are not a lot of FJ's on the road just yet, we have a pretty small section on the site, but if/when the community calls for expanded forum sections, we will be adding them as needed. We hope to be a full service, one stop shop for all of the FZ09, and FJ09 owners. This is a great little motor and we hope that it finds it's way in to more models down the road.

If you need anything, please let the staff know. We are always available for PM's and email.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
^^^^^ Yea, Nick makes me spend a minimum of 10 hours day on here....He said it's tied into my performance bonuses and he checks my time card at least three or four times a week. :cool:

Reactions: NickJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ugh. I just got a call from my speed dealer, and the bike and bags are in, but the grips, rear rack and 50 L top case are still on order. The dealer's hoping for the arrival of everything next week. And still, I wait (though it's only 10F today, and it snowed 3" yesterday...no rush).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts