Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im a soon to be owner of the new fz-09.

Ive tried talking myself out of it but its not helping. Its been a week and Im still day dreaming of one. Ive watched the demo videos to death as well.

Anyways trading in my 12 Triumph Speedmaster hopefully and selling a few others to get one here before the end of June, hopefully before then.

Wifes not happy but I am hoping its the right decision.

Anything I should know before getting one?
Im ok to spend up to about 10k on it from the get so if you could chime in and share your "must haves" for the new bike it would be greatly appreciated.

All the claims of a super soft suspension and brakes are somewhat concerning but Im not new to swapping things out.

My main qualm is Im 6'-2 and 210lbs.
I know these bikes today are never geared towards the bigger guys but damn it sure looks like fun.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You wont be disappointed taggat... its a real rocket blast :cool:
My points are simple, geared towards safety because I use my GRocket as a commuter and track bike.
- Depending on your shoes >12 the passenger pegs are in the way (adjust the gear and back break lever, way to high)
- Even with maxed out Front preload (no rings visible), you almost button out the forks during hard-emergency stops
* In my mind your money should go first into the Front suspension re-work, when you break hard you lose site of the horizon and upsets the geometry its simple bad!
- Of course the twitchy throttle, not sure what the Yamaha Engineers envisioned, with a super soft Fork plus a nervous throttle mannnn disaster heaven
* A throttle map from Nick aka Stoltech Moto, is a must in my mind as well

And the rest.. personalize it and enjoy this awesome triple :toothy12:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like Stoltec Moto has it all!

My budget side makes me want to research as good of upgrades but cheaper.

But hell it looks like I could get the whole suspension package upgrade with the newly flashed ecu for my 2k upgrade.

Anyone have any luck getting the dealers to do all the work? haha

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome. Buying at Westfield?

You know it, not a fan of flat out.

I need clean the old speedy up and get over there, perhaps this weekend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You know it, not a fan of flat out.

I need clean the old speedy up and get over there, perhaps this weekend.
Your not getting the best deal there. They fee people to death. Try Lafayette Powersports or Dreyer. Nothing wrong with Flatout. Dont buy until you compare out the door prices

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to Flat Out a few times window shopping and those guys never even bothered to get out of there chair to say Hi or can I help you with anything. How do you sell if your so lazy you won't get up out of your chair?

Im a fan of Dreyer but its a Honda dealership? haha
Joking I know they sell other models but they dont have anything listed except for the bolt and the tw200 on their website.

Right off the bat thought I see, Westfield pricing at $6790 and Lafayette Powersports at $7990.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Westfield is less than Lafayette sticker price, OTD... Yeah, Westfield has like $500 in fees, but they start at $1,000 off MSRP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up a Grey one at Acceleration Powersports in Anderson. $8,042 OTD. Real cool guys. They have a red demo bike with 200 miles on it for $7,500 right now. Said they would be getting an orange one in soon.

Tell them Mark sent you!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome to the group guys! There is a lot of great information and knowledge here about the FZ09 already.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put my deposit down with Westfield, one more week or so. :cool:

Thanks for the warm welcomes fellas!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Awesome, definitely getting a good deal, and they are nearby, which saves hassle.

I picked mine up there in February. It was just sitting on the floor, unloved. Josh was my salesman, great people to work with, very professional, no BS folks.

I'm heading to Brown County tomorrow!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah the rear shock is soft, seat is a bit hard, left turn signal hard for me to reach and that turn signal license plate has got to go.

I didnt realize it reset itself to STD mode once you turned it off and it caught me off guard at a stop light when the front end picked up, what a thrilling bike to ride!

Ive got the front cowl and bags to put on it.
Researching seats and a rear shock.

Boyoboyoboyoboy :p

Attachments

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fun wasn't it :toothy12:
Looking sharp... set the rear preload from stock 4 to 6 or even 7, and remember that the Front Suspension is getting you into the curve and the rear accelerates out of it. And for me that's why I'm getting my front suspensions work done first...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rode it on are Rolling Bone route just southwest of Indy, all up and around Mooresville on Saturday!
That was some great twisty fun!

10337739_1572053689687567_7589377101976057689_n.jpg

Finally got around to the oil change at 600 miles, no real engine grit to speak of.

I want the race seat and chin fairing!

Reactions: v2Bob
1 - 20 of 22 Posts