Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post to say hello and introduce myself.

My name is Phil and I live in Brisbane, Australia. I'm a X-ray tech and I've been riding since 2010 when I started out with a Honda CB400:

It was a really nice bike to learn on. In Aus you have to start on a bike with <660cc and a certain power to weight ratio (150kw/ton I think).
Kept it for the requisite 12mo and then bought my first taste of a triple.

Bought this the day my 12mo was up but had to wait to ride it because I needed to do another training course to upgrade my licence.
The Striple was pretty rubbish. I'm a decent 220lb and the stock suspension was completely inadequate. I ended up having a really, really nice Wilbers shock installed.
6mo later I sold the bike and bought the best bike I've owned...

Pretty sure you guys didn't get this one ;)

Hunqvarna Nuda 900R. Awesome Ohlins shock and insane brakes (your pinky could put you over the bars!). Quite nice Sachs fully adjustable forks. F800 BMW motor which has been fiddled to sound tremendous and make a lot more power than the BMW version.
Not sure what went wrong in my brain but I kept this bike for 1600km before selling it and going bikeless to buy a Focus ST. I didn't regret it at first but 12mo later I was beginning to feel like I'd cut a part of myself off.

So then came the decision to sell the car and buy a MT-09 and use it as my daily ride.
You all know what these look like but anyway:

I said the Nuda 900R was the best bike I have owned and I stick by that. But it cost me nearly $16,000AUD and then Husqvarna discontinued it. The MT09 cost only $11,400 which is a bloody steal. You won't get anything even remotely in the same league as the MT09 for that money unless you buy something second hand. I'd have bought a Nuda again apart from the discontinued bit...

So that's me. I'll try to not make too much of a nuisance of myself around the forum. I look forward to picking your brains!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum! What will your first serious upgrades be ?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Focus ST huh? Nice. If I were outside the US I woulda bought the Focus RS.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome. I've loved every Huskie I've ever ridden but the FZ09 definitely gives them a run for the money.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Welcome. Watch out for those darn cane toads on the road. I was up near Atherton once in the tablelands, and the things were everywhere. Darn near as big as a rabbit.

Toad Frog Amphibian True toad Bufo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome matey, also learnt on a CB400 down in Sydney.. awesome solid fun little machine - kept it for nearly 3yrs until I moved to SF and picked up a graphite FZ-09. Exploring the Bay Area on the 09 is a joyous thing todo! happy trails!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome, love that Husky, to bad you had to let it go. Have fun with your 09, I love mine.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ/MT09

1 - 13 of 13 Posts