Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this stuff is all over the site and I'm supposed to read it all before I post. I'm trying.

I want to know the hot, effective, easy (and cheap) setup for fixing the snatchy throttle, lack of helmet lock, rear fender shortener (and license plate light), lack of anywhere safe to carry anything (except my back), new front springs, what weight fork oil, what lift to use to make up for no center stand, cornering lights, whatever they call those posts that stick out the sides to protect the bike in a tip over, and anything else I shouldn't live without.

Don't think I'll be getting a pipe or rear shock though.

I'd also like to gear this thing up. I keep trying to upshift when I'm already in sixth. I had a V65 Sabre that cruised at 60 mph at 3300 RPM. I liked it. It was very rare that I tried to upshift past sixth (called OD on that bike) This bike has plenty of low end torque, why not a very tall sixth gear? I know first would get higher by the same ratio but I've been starting in second to see if I could live with it and I think I can. I'd much prefer a wider ratio gearbox, but I'm not going to be buying one of those anytime soon. It appears a smaller rear sprocket might allow the chain to hit where it shouldn't. Also what about the speedo with a gear change? Can that sort of thing be accomodated for in a chip reflash? Would low R's like that all day on a super slab hurt the engine?

I saw a video of this bike and it appeared that in addition to the normal panel light, the tach portion of the instrument panel was illuminated more noticeably and in some color. It looked great and easy to see without looking too hard. Mine doesn't do that. Is it supposed to?

Any other advice would be appreciated too.

Thanks much!
Fred

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Snatchy throttle cheap fix-adjust the free play out of it(there's an adjuster about 8" down the throttle cable from the grip-covered by a rubber boot) make sure you can still turn the bars fully in both directions without the throttle sticking.
Helmet lock-don't know. Fender eliminator-Yoshimura makes one that includes a plate light and there are others if you Google it.
No center stand-rear stand and/or front stand, need to buy spools for the rear.
Forks springs and oil-really dependent on your weight and what you want the bike to do-check Stoltec's website(he's a supporting vendor.)
Frame sliders-there are many different varieties and price ranges for these, again Google is your friend and depends on what look you want.
Cornering lights-do you mean turn signals? Again many, many aftermarket varieties available in various price ranges-depends what you're looking for.
As far as gearing, couldn't tell ya, I haven't changed mine yet. You ask about things you shouldn't live without; how about gear? Good helmet, leather or mesh jacket with CE approved armor, riding pants with armor or Kevlar jeans, full gauntlet leather gloves, above the ankle boots(not Walmart specials-Sportbike specific boots).
As far as the different color on the tach-no clue but could've been the light refraction off the instrument cluster cover through the camera lens. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just did a big reply, and it didn't work. So, FORKS, OIL, THROTTLE talk to stoltec

no center stand? flip your pegs and use jack stands

Helmet lock? i had three helmets stolen in san jose...but search the forum.

Fender eliminator? graves, yoshi, or make your own.

I use trex frame sliders and case savers. there are other good options.

I don't mind the gearing of the bike.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Come on over and I will show you all the details.

I am in San Jose as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's your current cruising rpm in high gear?
One tooth larger on the front sprocket is pretty cheap and not too hard to change if you're beyond "righty tighty lefty loosey" in mechanical experience.
If that makes 1st gear too tall and you have trouble getting away from a stop, two teeth smaller on the rear might be better.
There are gearing charts around on the web, you can use them to calculate speed v rpms and show you the sprockets you need for what you want. If you're using dyno info to try to fit a nice spot in the power band to 6th gear cruise, they can help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Motomania

It'd be great to get together to talk FZ-09 with someone who knows a lot more about it than I do.

Hope we can coordinate a time.

I'm not real hip at navigating this site, so please
email me at: [email protected].

Thanks!

Fred

·
Registered
45 Posts
For a helmet lock, I use a tiny padlock and hang it from the license plate bracket.
For a helmet lock I am using a gun cable lock, hang your helmet off the left rear foot peg and route the cable through the helmet and foot peg. Is not perfect but will slow them down or deter the casual thief.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For a helmet lock, I use a tiny padlock and hang it from the license plate bracket.
I've found this to be my favorite spot to hang helmets also. Can hang mine on one side and wife's on the other. Tried passenger footpegs, but helmet can potentially touch chain on chain side and get messy, as well as pipe on the pipe side and get burnt. Here they just rest on the tire. I use locking carabiners that I found at Dick's sporting goods. They have a 4-digit combo which you can set to whatever you want to make it easy to remember. I just carry them around in under-seat storage so I have them at all times.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm in Palo Alto and getting my rapid red Fz-09 delivered tomorrow morning!! such an exciting time since I've been lurking around this forum since January, and drooling over the fz-09 since last december.

Would be great to get a meet up of Bay Area FZ-09 riders!.
Fred - did you buy yours at GP Sports?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I'm in Palo Alto and getting my rapid red Fz-09 delivered tomorrow morning!! such an exciting time since I've been lurking around this forum since January, and drooling over the fz-09 since last december.

Would be great to get a meet up of Bay Area FZ-09 riders!.
Fred - did you buy yours at GP Sports?
Fred (Bill actually) and I are getting together at my house in south san jose on wednesday evening. You are welcome to join us.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excelongt

Maybe this is a bit late.

If you have few miles on you bike, I suggest you read and very thoroughly understand Motoman's break-in procedure before you start your bike again. You can track it down here: "Motoman" Rough Break In - ADVrider

I didn't follow Motoman's procedure (I drove like an old lady - really bad to do) and I think my bike is suffering substantially in power because of it. What disappoints me about myself is that I knew better, but I forgot until about 300 miles. Too late then.

Also, if you check your owner's manual, you'll see that Motoman's method does not violate what the manual says about break-in. The manual simply says (on page 6 - 4):

"(0 - 600 miles) Avoid prolonged operation above 5600 r/min. " Taking it to redline and back down instantly is not prolonged operation. But you will either loop it in lower gears or be going really fast in higher gears. And wheeling or going real fast on this bike is pretty scary, especially at first. The bike feels pretty squirrely at speed. I think that's why they put a speed limiter on it. It really probably needs a steering dampener. Among several other things.

Anyway - I hope you love the bike.

BTW - This stuff is just my understanding. Don't quote me or believe me. But I do recommend that you consider it.

Also, you don't need to redline the engine to follow Motoman's recommendation. You just need to gas it really hard (hard as you can in A mode) in higher gears and back off the gas real hard without using the brakes (and without getting rear-ended) about ten times, while thoroughly warmed up and without overheating the engine. That's it. Your pretty much done. And then change the oil and filter.

Yes - I bought mine at GP sports on Camden Ave. in SJ. Think I got ripped though. Cost me $9800 OTD.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Excelongt

Maybe this is a bit late.

If you have few miles on you bike, I suggest you read and very thoroughly understand Motoman's break-in procedure before you start your bike again. You can track it down here: "Motoman" Rough Break In - ADVrider

I didn't follow Motoman's procedure (I drove like an old lady - really bad to do) and I think my bike is suffering substantially in power because of it. What disappoints me about myself is that I knew better, but I forgot until about 300 miles. Too late then.

Also, if you check your owner's manual, you'll see that Motoman's method does not violate what the manual says about break-in. The manual simply says (on page 6 - 4):

"(0 - 600 miles) Avoid prolonged operation above 5600 r/min. " Taking it to redline and back down instantly is not prolonged operation. But you will either loop it in lower gears or be going really fast in higher gears. And wheeling or going real fast on this bike is pretty scary, especially at first. The bike feels pretty squirrely at speed. I think that's why they put a speed limiter on it. It really probably needs a steering dampener. Among several other things.

Anyway - I hope you love the bike.

BTW - This stuff is just my understanding. Don't quote me or believe me. But I do recommend that you consider it.

Also, you don't need to redline the engine to follow Motoman's recommendation. You just need to gas it really hard (hard as you can in A mode) in higher gears and back off the gas real hard without using the brakes (and without getting rear-ended) about ten times, while thoroughly warmed up and without overheating the engine. That's it. Your pretty much done. And then change the oil and filter.

Yes - I bought mine at GP sports on Camden Ave. in SJ. Think I got ripped though. Cost me $9800 OTD.

Thank you sir. I've had the bike exactly one week today. My mileage is only at 130. My commute to work is only 2 miles each way. I did have a couple of longer rides here and there and tried to break the engine in hard. Problem is I'm still getting used to the power and on/off throttle response in A & STD mode.

I really want to change the oil this weekend. But the yamalube and an OEM fitler I ordered off Amazon earlier this week still hasnt been delivered. Anyone know of some local dealerships or auto parts stores where I can buy Yamalube 10-40? Filter should be delivered today.

I had the suspension adjusted by Jim at Catalyst Reaction in San Carlos. Cant say enough good things about Jim and his shop

I bought mine an Mission Motorcycles in Daly City. You really dont want to know what I paid :D I stopped in GP Sports several times between Jan-Mar wanting to buy an fz on the spot. Not only did they have all the bullshit fees, everyone I talked to had an arrogant, standoffish attitude that didnt sit well with me. I felt like they were doing me a favor by buying the bike from them.

I called Mission Motorcycles on a Tuesday morning, Dealt with Nancy and Teresa who were absolutely fantastic. Made a very fair deal over the phone, came in on a Wednesday right before closing to sign paperwork. Bike was delivered to my house on Friday morning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excelongt

Well I'm glad you got a good price. I should have shopped, but I got it spur of the moment.

I broke mine in poorly and either it's gotten lots slower, or I've gotten really used to it really fast. I hope it's the second, but I suspect it's the first. Any hot leads on a dyno? I figure that will tell me for sure.

So, wha'd'ja pay, just so I know how badly I got burned?

If you feel like tellin' me, that is.

Have fun ridin'!

Thanks!

Fred

·
Registered
142 Posts
Excelongt

Well I'm glad you got a good price. I should have shopped, but I got it spur of the moment.

I broke mine in poorly and either it's gotten lots slower, or I've gotten really used to it really fast. I hope it's the second, but I suspect it's the first. Any hot leads on a dyno? I figure that will tell me for sure.

So, wha'd'ja pay, just so I know how badly I got burned?

If you feel like tellin' me, that is.

Have fun ridin'!

Thanks!

Fred
Not sure about shops that have a dyno.my understanding is that power drops off much later in the bikes life if break in wasn't done correctly. I may be wrong

I paid just about 8900 OTD. Basically got mine at MSRP with out "freight and setup". . No where near the awesome deals some people on this forum have been getting. But for California and prices, I'm happy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts