Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here from San Diego, Ca. Nice to see a great FZ-09 forum! I currently own a 2006 Gsxr 600 that I use for track and canyon. I have owned a 2005 R1 and a 2012 R1. Fun bikes, but didn't really need all that power. I have been eyeing the FZ-09 since it came out. I actually almost traded my 2012 R1 for one. I have just the 600 for now, but I am thinking FZ-09 again. Never had a sit up bike, but it looks more comfortable for long rides and just as fun as dragging my knees in the canyon or on the track. How do you guys like yours? I hear it can use a lower bar setting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Franco :)

I had an R1 and didn't get along well with it, went the SuperMoto route, Husky 610, KTM950SM then onto the nakeds, Triumph Street Triple then the MT-09.
I prefer the more upright ergo'd machines, I can always lean forward if I need to, a flatter bar may be in my future, together with the suspension bits better suited to my size and requirements!
No track days this side, but for normal day to day duties and fun blasts, it's an amazing machine.
This forum is *full* of praise, and yeah, a couple of things to look out for, but this has been a great experience thus far!

Ride safe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello This my first street bike, I like the handlebars, they reminded me of my motocross bikes. I stiffened the stock suspension and is much better, this thing is a blast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Franco. I know your feeling. I had an R6 and got very use to the lay down riding style and loved the look and stats of the MT-09 (FZ-09). I was very much surprised about how much I enjoy the more upright seating style. Your trade off is high revving power for raw torque, it has taken me time to change from high revs and humming engine to low rev punch. I read reviews that the FZ09 has more power than an R1, I will leave that to the individuals to judge.

I don't think you will regret the change (only based on your paragraph above as I obviously don't know you). I am yet to find someone coming from a GSXR, YZF or any like bikes that are disappointed with moving to the FZ09.

Yamaha Burnt Orange MT-09 (FZ-09)
FV400f, GV250, YZF R6.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome.

If you like speed get The Red:cool:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have a highway commute... some lower bars would help, but for buzzing around town it's great just the way it is. Welcome! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, so I forgot that I joined this forum 5 years ago. So no need for another welcome. I never did pick up an FZ09 back then. I didn't like the garbage suspension or the crappy front brake (no offense, I come from racing sportbikes). But......shortly after this 5 year old post I had a major motorcycle incident. I went down at slow speed in the canyon (not sure what the tire slipped on) and I went down, then was run over.

I sustained major injuries that almost killed me. I had 2 open fractures, broken tib/fib, severed artery, compartment syndrome, busted ribs, concussion, broken knee, and some slight road rash where my Scorpion SG3 gloves came apart. I lost the tip of my pinkie and had some rash on my palm because of those gloves. I didn't wear my race gloves that day because it was hot. But the SG3 gloves were full gauntlet.

I was in full high quality race gear and was still almost killed. So wear your gear people. I was in the hospital for 2 months, had 13 surgeries on my leg, have cadaver tib/fib and artery. Part of my stomach muscle was removed and used as a flap to save my leg. They didn't know if my leg was salvageable, but they tried and it worked. I have an excellent ortho surgeon.

I stopped riding until May 2019, when I decided to get back into it. So I purchased a clean Harley Nightrod. But wasn't enough. Sportbikes are in my blood and so is racing. So I got on a sportbike and just about cried when I wasn't able to shift the gears because of my limited ankle movement. Even tried adjusting the hell out of some Woodcraft rear sets I found on a used gsxr600, nope, wasn't happening.

So I got on an FZ09, because I remembered test riding one when they first came out. The foot controls are a little more mid control style. Made an adjustment and it worked!!! I could shift and downshift! So here I am. I picked up a 2015 FZ09 with 19k miles for 3k! I love it!! The suspension is still trash as I weigh 235lbs, but still losing weight. It came with some goodies, but stock exhaust:-( So I ordered a GPR slip-on for it. Hearing the chain while riding gets boring.
I'm also going to do GP front suspension and Katech rear shock for my set up.

Sorry for my long novel, but that's what happened to me and why I was gone. So....hello again!!!!

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,950 Posts
Holy crap! Sorry to hear about all that, but glad you made it through. Welcome back to the fold, and... well, ride safe!

·
Premium Member
2,938 Posts
Wow, that was a scary adventure. I cringed just reading it.
Anyway, welcome back and don't ask more from that 09 than it can give you. 09s can be like girls on meth.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Glad your still with us. Ride on brother...….safely

1 - 12 of 12 Posts