Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a longtime site lurker, first time street bike owner of 3 months and 700 current miles! I followed this bike since right after it came out. I finally grew enough courage, sold my spare car and bought the bike. I amazingly don't miss the car I sold and don't regret the purchase at all. I Live in Louisiana. So far, I love the bike more and more. I had my first "motherf**er" moment yesterday, I stopped at a redlight, saw a 1/4" ratchet just lying on the ground, leaned over to pick it up and the bike tipped the other way, couldn't react fast enough to stop it. It hit the ground and scuffed up the oil pump cover and the larger engine cover on the right side, $150 worth of parts. Im so disappointed in myself, I had just given it its first oil change, removed all the reflectors and installed the throttle tamer I read about on here. And I went and dropped it. Anyway, glad to be a part of the community, most everyone here seems very informative and down to earth.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Aloha and welcome Alan. Sorry to hear about your 'drop'. Not to overstate the obvious here, but you might want to look into a set of frame sliders and/or case savers 'just in case', and you neglected to mention what color you got. Best of luck and ride safe...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Frame sliders are a must for any relatively new rider. Google OES FZ-09 Frame Sliders, or any brand that ur comfortable with....

All three colors are great, but we all know the fastest bikes are Rapid Red -- They call it "Rapid" for a reason, lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, the sliders and case savers are a definite must now.
And according to some, I got the best and fastest color lol, ORANGE!!!
I wanted the graphite, but the dealership local to me had a red on the floor, an orange in the crate, unbuilt and had no exact date when they would receive a graphite bike. so I hade them assemble the orange so I could see it in person because the pictures just weren't convincing me.
Once I seen the orange in person, I had to have it.
I plan on sometime after getting some of the bike paid down some more, getting another tank and having my future bother-in-law paint it, so I can swap tanks out occasionally to change it up some. A new tank and all the needed parts is close to $1K. So it'll have to be a while

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
IMHO, nothing B4 Sliders.

(Red is Faster)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Gentlemen, gentlemen; it's a well known fact that Liquid Graphite significantly lowers the coefficient of drag, thus making it faster...

Is that because Liquid Graphite isn't actually a "color?"

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
AND it's the toughest...mine was hit by a car and did more damage to the car

Sorry to hear about that.....Mine was "Almost" hit by a few cars, but because it's Rapid Red it naturally & quite quickly sped away unscathed.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The first drop is always the toughest... then there'll be the first rock chip in the paint... just be sure to scream and let it out! ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Steve (and others who care to comment)

I imagine you suggested OES frame sliders because you like them best. Is that right? I went to their site and they offer front or rear or both in a set (save $5) Is two sets too much? if so, which set is preferable?

Also, do you recommend case savers? Brand preference?

Also, do the red OES's look good on a red bike? They seem not to offer black. Blue or white don't sound astheticly pleasing. (As if color has anything to do with how something sounds)

Thanks!

Fred

·
Registered
187 Posts
Alan

Sorry to hear about your first tip over. Just try to keep them to a minimum. Maybe you can clean the parts up to 'not too bad for now', which becomes 'good enough' after you quit focusing on them.

How do you like your throttle tamer? Is it what you expected?

Thanks,

Fred

·
Registered
349 Posts
AND it's the toughest...mine was hit by a car and did more damage to the car
My Liquid Graphite hit Chuck Norris and he Cried for his Mommy. When they heard about this in France, they surrendered. Putin pooped himself a little and is now hiding somewhere in Siberia.

Liquid graphite is like Sex Panther but without that pure gasoline smell.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Fred: I bought the complete set for about $129. I figure ya can't over-protect the Family Jewels....

The color refers to the tape/band on the individual pc. I got the black & white because I didn't want the eye drawn to them. Actually no color (tape) might be best but then others wouldn't know what brand you bought, lol

I've got the Rapid Red (best & fastest) FZ but again, didn't want to use RED on the sliders which might call attention -- sometimes less (Red) is more:cool:

If I had to do it again I'd get the complete set....ya never know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The damage is actually already not that bad, but it is a brand new bike, so it bothers me a bit.
The throttle tamer worked very well, i originally always rode in b mode, since the tamer install, ive achieved std mode riding full time now. It has not however helped any on decel, and its even more noticeable when me and my girlfriend are on it. But i never really expected it to help on decel.
Im glad i put it on and personaly dont notice having to twist the throttle more than i used to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts