Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike's been sitting for a few weeks while I waited for parts. Just went down to move it and noticed the clutch felt abnormally heavy. So did the bike when trying to roll it forward and back with the clutch pulled. I'm also hearing / feeling a soft click / clunk after rolling about an inch in either direction (also with clutch pulled). But when I actually put it in neutral, it feels light again, easy to roll, and no soft click / clunk. Thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bike makes all kinds of noises. I call them “cries for attention”, and I don’t negotiate with terrorists.
But it's not really about the noise. Let me re-phrase:

Shouldn't the bike feel the same when the clutch is pulled-in as it does when it's in neutral? There is a most-definite increase in heaviness / drag when the clutch is pulled in versus neutral. That just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

Shouldn't the bike feel the same when the clutch is pulled-in as it does when it's in neutral? There is a most-definite increase in heaviness / drag when the clutch is pulled in versus neutral. That just doesn't seem right.
What you’re experiencing is the “gumminess” of the clutch discs sliding by each other while the clutch is pulled in, separating them.
It should be harder to push the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in vs. neutral.

Think about it. In neutral, the clutch is completely bypassed so you don’t have to overcome the oil friction between the clutch discs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What you’re experiencing is the “gumminess” of the clutch discs sliding by each other while the clutch is pulled in, separating them.
It should be harder to push the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in vs. neutral.

Think about it. In neutral, the clutch is completely bypassed so you don’t have to overcome the oil friction between the clutch discs.
I'm just confused why I haven't noticed it before? It's a very distinct difference from the last time I rode. Any chance that 'gumminess' gets worse after sitting for a few weeks? Is it grumpy?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I'm just confused why I haven't noticed it before? It's a very distinct difference from the last time I rode. Any chance that 'gumminess' gets worse after sitting for a few weeks? Is it grumpy?
Yep. When bikes sit, the clutch pack can stick more. That’s just my personal experience. Bikes are made to be out there hauling butt. :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Any chance that 'gumminess' gets worse after sitting for a few weeks? Is it grumpy?
The clutch disk thing but also, the oil has been sitting and cold. It's gonna be thicker. Run your engine up to temp and you will see it get easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Sounds to me like your clutch cable is probably out of adjustment

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
88 Posts
Bike's been sitting for a few weeks while I waited for parts. Just went down to move it and noticed the clutch felt abnormally heavy. So did the bike when trying to roll it forward and back with the clutch pulled. I'm also hearing / feeling a soft click / clunk after rolling about an inch in either direction (also with clutch pulled). But when I actually put it in neutral, it feels light again, easy to roll, and no soft click / clunk. Thoughts?
Have you checked the condition of your chain? You should have a bit of resistance when in gear vs neutral even with the clutch pulled in. I'd check the chain for any stiff links.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The colder the oil is, the more drag there will be in the clutch when the bike is in gear and you try to push the bike with the clutch lever pulled. The cold/thicker oil between the clutch plates adds more drag.

Try doing it after shutting the bike off and the oil is fully hot, the compare the next day when the oil is stone cold. You can feel the difference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
OP, do you only mean you're getting heavier resistance when pushing the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in? Or do you mean the clutch lever is harder to pull in, aka: a heavy clutch?

The clutch plate/oil drag thing is real, but it won't create a heavy clutch lever pull.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
yeah nothing to worry about. major difference in neutral vs in gear with clutch pulled and rolling with the bike off. if the bike is on it should be about the same, but just rolling around the garage it's MUCH harder to roll around w/ the clutch lever in.

Agreed that the clutch lever pull/weight/heavyness shouldn't change like the title of the thread implies, but I don't think that's what you'er asking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts