Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my yamaha dealer put some 5wt oil in my forks today. Stock is 0wt. I still have the stock fork springs which work fine at my weight of a 145lbs without gear. With the heavier fork oil, the front suspension performs much better and doesn't act like a pogo stick anymore. I would rate it at about a 6 or 7 out of 10 (10 being the best). I am very happy with it and I can push it harder in the corners now.

On a side note, I pulled my CCT set screw mod off so my dealer could play around with it and WOW was the cam chain rattling bad. The set screw is definitely doing it's job!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I changed the fork oil on the weekend to 10w, I weight 70kgs, maybe 75kgs with gear (165lbs).

Factory oil was 400mil in both leg as opposed to the recommended levels 458mil RH & 472mil LH.

It made a big difference and changed my mind on a fork upgrade.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I will be using 10wt with Race Tech 0.95kg springs. Same as my old SV650. I weigh 205. I have the parts, just waiting for the right time to get it done.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Had my yamaha dealer put some 5wt oil in my forks today. Stock is 0wt. I still have the stock fork springs which work fine at my weight of a 145lbs without gear. With the heavier fork oil, the front suspension performs much better and doesn't act like a pogo stick anymore. I would rate it at about a 6 or 7 out of 10 (10 being the best). I am very happy with it and I can push it harder in the corners now.

On a side note, I pulled my CCT set screw mod off so my dealer could play around with it and WOW was the cam chain rattling bad. The set screw is definitely doing it's job!
Stock oil is Yamaha(Kayaba) 01 which has a viscosity of 14.57 cSt.This puts it in the range that most manufacturers call 5wt,(Maxima 5wt is 15.9 cSt)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Interesting about the oil being under filled, wonder how many other fz owners have badly set oil gaps. I don't know much about suspension but this would seem likely to exacerbate the feel of a poorly damped fork.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It didn't seem to change the rebound much, I still have it would right in but it did make a big difference to compression, much smoother and softer feeling, more compliant.

·
Registered
730 Posts
All oil level affects is bottoming resistance. The air gap acts as a variable rate spring, the more the forks compress, the smaller the gap gets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts