Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had heated grips on many bikes, some were BMW's with the factory grips, and some were aftermarket additions. When I got my first pair of heated gloves, about 10 years ago, I said; " Man, I can't believe I've been riding 25 years before I bought these!" I've just now purchased a new pair and I find them light years better than my previous ones. I mention this because some members were mentioning adding heated grips. Heated gloves provide more complete coverage, and they can be used on more bike providing one adds the requisite connections. For cooler weather, I find heated grips are adequate, but when it gets really cold, I prefer heated gloves. I noticed that I my finger tips (due to lack of contact with the heat source) get too cold using heated grips. Full disclosure: I'm a tester for a heated glove manufacturer, that is why no brand names are mentioned. This is my opinion based on commuting and riding year round.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had heated grips on many bikes, some were BMW's with the factory grips, and some were aftermarket additions. When I got my first pair of heated gloves, about 10 years ago, I said; " Man, I can't believe I've been riding 25 years before I bought these!" I've just now purchased a new pair and I find them light years better than my previous ones. I mention this because some members were mentioning adding heated grips. Heated gloves provide more complete coverage, and they can be used on more bike providing one adds the requisite connections. For cooler weather, I find heated grips are adequate, but when it gets really cold, I prefer heated gloves. I noticed that I my finger tips (due to lack of contact with the heat source) get too cold using heated grips. Full disclosure: I'm a tester for a heated glove manufacturer, that is why no brand names are mentioned. This is my opinion based on commuting and riding year round.
What gloves did you get?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
after riding a few days in the 30's here, it's a giant pain to have 2 pairs of gloves on and even with that, i lose feeling in my finger tips if i don't break every 50 miles or so.

Definitely interested in the heated glove route if anyone has recos of gloves they like.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
To me, it has been common knowledge that heated gloves will provide heat for your entire hand vs. just the Palm side of your hand. I use Gerbing brand heated gear.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I went with heated grips because they increase the diameter of the grip itself which is useful all year round, and because the only place I've needed heat thus far is my fingers, which the heated grip should provide. I also got barkbusters to reduce wind over the hand. Less hassle, too.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've tried both, and don't really care for the bulkiness of heated gloves.

Heated grips have always been just fine for me, but I also don't live where it gets seriously cold in winter time (67 degrees today).

That being said, in my experience, heated grips that have the heating element built into the grip itself work much better that the kits that you install underneath the stock grips.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've used both (occasionally at the same time). The gloves work much better than the heated grips in my experience. Even with grips that get too hot to hold (looking at you Buell Uly) when at speed for any length of time the wind chill will suck the heat out of your fingers faster than the grips can warm them up. I've been using the Gerbing brand for years. I'm sure other brands are just as good, but I don't have not tried others. For reference, I'm in northern California, so temps are mostly mild with the occasional dip into freezing (28-32). I have a fairly short commute, 20 miles, and I am comfortable without any heat down to 40 deg. I only use the heated gloves during those mornings when it is below freezing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That being said, in my experience, heated grips that have the heating element built into the grip itself work much better that the kits that you install underneath the stock grips.

You can say that again. Big difference. Ive got Heat Demons under my Kuryakyn grips on my Can Am Spyder... I thought they were the shit until I installed Oxford grips on my fz09. Holy hell they get hot Im telling ya.

The convenience of hand grips offsets the lack of efficiency. You never leave them at home, youre not wired to the bike, no wires running up your sleeves, etc, etc. Youd be surprised how often you might use them even in the summer.

Now I have some heated glove liners for the serious cold with the Y cable running up my jacket sleeves. A pain in the ass really compared to heated grips but its more warmth. A trade off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just purchased battery heated gloves from Schumacher schlemmer. I didn't get a chance to test them but I've heard great things about them. One thing I don't like about them is that they are bulky, but that is something I can get use to. I will give you guys an update this weekend.

·
Registered
657 Posts
On my current bike - I've got heating elements under my grips. 2 temp. They are great, finger tips do get a little cold on highway on those near freezing days.

A local gear company recently came out with a battery powered heated glove. They look pretty slick.

The Velocity VR-Pro Heated Motorcycle Gloves are now in stock and for sale. For those of you who tried them and were blown away at the Motorcycle Supershow thanks for your purchase. The feedback was phenomenal and my claim that these are the best and safest heated Motorcycle gloves in the world still holds true. If you find a better pair than these I will give them to you for free. Please shop around the market and look at all the gerbings, powerlet, warmnsafe brands and dare to compare.

$300 MSRP. We accept Cash, EMT, Visa and Mastercard. (Cash price includes taxes). By appointment only so please call or email before you drop by.

The Heated VR-Pro Gloves also known as VR-PRO-H Gloves use Infra-Red heat to guarantee warm hands in the coldest of riding days. Three LED temperature settings, 7 layer construction, Completely waterproof , TPU knuckles and finger protectors, Super Fabric Scaphoid and palm sliders, built in face-shield squeegee on thumb, Water resistant Cowhide Leather plus an inner wtareproof membrane, Kevlar Thread stitching and plus many more features make this Battery operated glove the most unique and exclusive heated Motorcycle glove in the world.

Features:-
Constructed from 1mm water resistant cowhide leather
Stitched with Kevlar Thread through out
TPU Knuckles and finger protectors
7 Layer construction (Leather, Foam Padding, Heat Trap layer, Water Proof membrane, Thinsulate, Carbon Fibre Heating pad, inner liner)
LED temperature control button with 3 settings
3.5 hours of continuous portable heat in high, 5 - 6 hrs in medium and 7-8 hrs in the lowest setting.
5 minute warm up mode and auto switch to medium setting to conserve power
Built in face shield squeegee
Rechargeable Lithium Polymer Battery (recharges in 2 hours)
PU mould wrist/battery protector
Super Fabric Palm slider and Schaphoid protector
Pre-Curved Fingers
Gauntlet style designed to go over jacket cuffs.
Infra-red Heat guaranteed never to heat up excessively and burn through
1 Year Exchange Warranty on manufacturing defects.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I like to ride as much as i can and stop only when there is snow or ice on the ground (may get some winter-proofing done to the bike to solve this but who knows)- so keeping warm and comfy is very important.
I have ridden when it was 14F outside near the polar vortex days. I can tell you heated grips, by themselves, are nearly ineffective at those temperatures. Even in warmer weather (30s), just heated grips is not enough- the finger tips always get cold. Barkbusters help keep direct wind off the hands but there's not much they can do on their own. I have the Oxford Heaterz Heated grips which get nice and warm but mostly help the palms. Recently, I got the VentureHeat 12V Grand Touring gloves which have the controllers on the glove themselves. Haven't encountered very cold temperatures- about mid 30s-40s and they do a decent job of keeping finger tips from freezing and keeping hands nice and toasty. I think Gerbings could be better but they need all those extra controllers (3 levels only)- for winter touring I may invest in a whole kit later on. The gloves were about $130-140- cheapest 12V glove from a decent manufacturer so far. I will be testing them some more to see how they perform.

However, I have read on other forums that even with heated gloves, the cold tends to strip away the heat from the gloves. I think that's true.

PS: Venture Heat makes some cool battery powered heated base layers and they are pretty good- for when off the bike as well- like today's snowy day in New York!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts