Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Heated Gloves with Jacket Liner and Electrical Capacity

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Stoltec Moto 
#1 ·
I've searched and read a couple threads here on heated gear--various brands of gloves, grips, etc.

I've used Gerbing heated gloves and jacket liner with their portable dual controller for years on a few bikes. Had a problem with my 2009 FZ6 after a couple straight days of use with temps in the 20s. And, I rarely used full power. I ran my battery down. I THEN got an ammeter and harness for a battery tender and didn't have an issue after plugging in the bike nightly.

I have a Kisan Chargeguard on my FZ09 but don't yet have the Gerbing harness-hard to think about in July in Texas.

Does anyone know whether the FZ09 charging system on my otherwise stock bike would have an issue with daily use of the gloves/jacket liner? I don't know amp draw without looking it up, but I wouldn't use full draw probably. My Chargeguard will show me negative amp draw once I connect the Gerbings and fire them up.

I'm actually considering selling my 2013 FJR since the FZ09 will do it for me, but really need to be sure I can have some heat a few days per winter here in Fort Worth.

I would appreciate anyone running these or similar to share their experience and any electrical issues.

See less See more
#2 ·
Jeff, I may be wrong, but as I recall, the Gerbing heated gloves and jacket liner will consume less than 100 Watts of power. Also,....if I'm not mistaken, the alternator output on the FZ09 is somewhere close to 400 Watts at 5000 RPM. Keep in mind that the bike will be using some of that available power, depending on additional lighting and accessories, but I would say that you should be OK....especially if you are running them on a lower setting and you aren't running the engine at too low of an RPM.

#3 ·
I used heated gloves, and occasionally, a jacket liner all last winter. My commute is 100 miles, mostly highway. I put the bike on the battery tender every night, and had no problems. I also noted that the charge light on the battery tender switched over to green within minutes. I'm sure the fact that I was on the highway so much helped as well.

#4 ·
Most motorcycle alternators need to spin at somewhere close to 5000 RPMs to be able to produce it's rated output wattage.....the highway time definitely helps.

#8 ·
I just double checked myself and the service manual states....415 Watts on the alternator output at 5000 RPM.....I guess I was fairly close on that number and the Gerbing jacket liner/gloves at somewhere around 100 Watts.

#12 ·
If you already have a Battery Tender pigtail installed, you could pick up one of these things and check your battery voltage on the fly:

View attachment 8719

I like that! My Kisan Chargeguard though also toggles through Amp draw, Fahrenheit and Celsius temps. I'm told watching for negative amp draw is what you want to diagnose overuse by things like heated gear.

#13 ·
Hooked up my Gerbing battery harness and tried the gloves, jacket liner and both at full draw, with the bike at idle. Here are the results:

Resting amp draw at idle:

Gloves only. Consistent with Gerbing webiste, which says 2.2 amps:

Jacket liner only. Actually flickers between 7 and 8. Consistent with 6.9 amps per Gerbing:

Both jacket liner and gloves at fill draw.

Ending voltage with bike off after 5-10 mins running with Gerbings gear connected:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.