Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have chronically cold hands and have tried heated grips (actually the heated grip over-wraps from Aerostitch), which were good for keeping the palms warm but pretty useless for keeping my fingers comfortable. So I'm looking at heated gloves and have pretty much narrowed it down to either the Gerbing T-5 hybrid gloves (which can be powered by either small batteries in the gauntlet or by conventional wiring to the bike's battery) or the Powerlet rapidFIRe Heated Glove Liner Kit (which wires to the bike's battery). I really like the idea of the small batteries in the glove, eliminates any wiring hassles and means the gloves can be worn for other activities in the winter.

The Powerlet setup is much less expensive ($125 including controller) than the Gerbing ($200 for the gloves, $100 for the small batteries-these include their own controller-or $69/$99 for a single/dual controller to modulate the heat when wired to the bike's battery). So with the Gerbing setup it's $$270 with single controller or $300 if you get the dual controller (in anticipation of adding a vest or something similar down the road); or it's $300 for the gloves and small lithium-ion batteries which will eventually need to be replaced (2-3 years or longer?).

Damn that seems like a lot of money...

Anybody have experience with these products, or general feedback on the care and feeding of heated gloves? Thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a first gear dual controller with jacket liner and gloves. Lets me ride in 20 degree and up weather.

Firstgear
Which Firstgear glove do you have, the Rider ($129) or the Carbon ($169)? AFAIK the Firstgear stuff is made by Warm and Safe, and is supposed to be very good. A pair of Rider gloves with a single Heat Troller would be around $200, not too bad.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I've had the Gerbing heated gloves (G3) and the jacket liner for several years now. My gloves had an issue with one of them about a week or two past the 3 year warranty. I emailed Gerbing and they had me send them in for a look. They didn't even mess with the old gloves........sent me a brand new pair of the G3's, no questions ask. Good customer service in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
What is the lowest temperatures that you guys have gone with your heated gloves? I have been using VentureHeat's GT gloves and between 5 and 20 degrees I feel that my fingers still do get a bit cold. Above 28ish, they seem warm enough to be comfortable. I am reconsidering them if Gerbings can offer more comfort in temps between 0 and 20- I saw one in the NY Moto show but they lacked the protection of a proper motorcycle glove. The good thing about the VentureHeat is that they have good protection, the controllers are on the glove, they also have touchscreen capability and are relatively cheaper (don't require extra controllers)! I also use their battery operated base layer which is pretty good, esp for that price.

I think a combination of heated grips and gloves is essential for comfortable winter riding- just one of these is definitely not enough.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I've always had trouble keeping my hands warm, even when I first started riding at the age of 16......42+ years ago, so my hands still get cold in the heated gloves if the temps get below approx. 45 degrees.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had good gauntlet gloves so went with First Gear 11 watt Glove liners 75.00 and I had a great leather jacket so went with First Gear 65 watt jacket liner 179.00 I have 2 bikes so went with First gear wireless dual controller (gloves and liner individually controlled) 125.00 . For second bike it cost me 10.00 for the second battery pigtail. Never had heated riding gear before. My joints in my hands Love it. I only have to plug together 1 short pigtail coming from battery out under seat by my left side and one pigtail hanging from my liner on the left side. Glove liners plug into wires hiding in little zippered pouches of each sleeve. The controller sits on either bike on the brake fluid tank held with Velcro.

I bet the gloves and jackets they offer are reasonable if you can't go the liner route. Visit their web site. I did before I bought.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!

Right now I'm leaning towards the Powerlet liner kit because the $125 price includes the controller (which is made by Warm and Safe for Powerlet). The Firstgear liner/controller setup (also made by Warm and Safe) costs a bit more.

I have an ancient (but still nice) pair of Tourmaster winter gloves, and I'm hoping they are loose enough that the liners will fit in them.

The Gerbing stuff looks sweet but I'm too cheap right now.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I looked at the Powerlet too and it looks good bang for buck. It's odd that the price went up- I could have sworn that I had seen them for under $100 in December when I was looking at options too! The only problem with the Powerlet (apart from needing sort of loose gloves) is that if you wanted to extend you heated gear, I am not sure how well it will integrate. It just may! If you get these, do give us feedback though- I am thinking of Powerlet for the wife.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at the Powerlet too and it looks good bang for buck. It's odd that the price went up- I could have sworn that I had seen them for under $100 in December when I was looking at options too! The only problem with the Powerlet (apart from needing sort of loose gloves) is that if you wanted to extend you heated gear, I am not sure how well it will integrate. It just may! If you get these, do give us feedback though- I am thinking of Powerlet for the wife.
YES! I knew I wasn't going insane -- they were $99 back in December and I thought, "Damn that's a good price, no point in buying them now and have the warranty start when I can't use them yet, I'll wait a few months and get them then." I casually checked them out a week or so ago and the price had gone up to $125, everywhere. Thank you motorock for remembering that, I was starting to think my memory had turned to crap.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've got the firstgear (warm and safe) carbon fiber gloves. They are great but like any heavy glove are a bit thicker than I like. I also have the 90W jacket and just use a single controller for both. The gloves keep me very warm (not that its been very cold here this "winter") and I think the zeta bar guards are helping too. Coldest temp I've hit was 38F and my hands and torso were nice and toasty. Hard to go wrong with heated gear imho. Worth the $ for sure.

Daniel

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update for anyone interested:

I ended up getting a sweet (25% off) Valentine's Day discount on Gerbing T5 Hybrid gloves and a dual heat controller. Used them for the first time yesterday (March 30th, temps were around 35 degrees), and was very impressed. Because I had heard a number of stories about people burning their hands by having the controller set too high, I started with the setting pretty low, perhaps 25% of total output. The warming effect was subtle, my hands didn't feel all toasty warm, they just felt...normal, with no sensation of cold. I almost wondered if the gloves were working, but I could sense some heat if I focused on it, and when I stopped for breakfast the plush liner of the gloves was actually damp with sweat.

The whole purchase was still expensive ($230) even after the discount, but it worked far better than any heated grip solution I've tried. In particular, my fingertips (which tend to get painfully cold) were perfectly comfortable. The T5 Hybrid has large gauntlets, and a pocket sewn into the back of the gloves into which portable 12v batteries ($99 a set) can be installed, giving you heat even when you're not plugged into the bike. That's a nice option to have in less frigid months, where you may not want to hassle with the wired controller but still want to have a little heat available when you go for a ride.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That's great! They seem like a good pair- your experience seems similar to how I feel when I have my heated gloves on. When it gets warmer, it feels closer to near burning sensation but not quite- still have to turn it down.
$230 is steep but a good investment for sure- what happened to the Powerlets that you had ordered? I was thinking of that for the wife for longer trips.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's great! They seem like a good pair- your experience seems similar to how I feel when I have my heated gloves on. When it gets warmer, it feels closer to near burning sensation but not quite- still have to turn it down.
$230 is steep but a good investment for sure- what happened to the Powerlets that you had ordered? I was thinking of that for the wife for longer trips.
The place I was ordering them from (The Warming Store) didn't have them in stock after all, and the $99.99 price was a mistake (they hadn't updated their website to show the new $125 price that every place was showing), and when I went to the Powerlet site I saw that The Warming Store wasn't listed as a dealer...

At that point I said fuggit and decided to wait until spring to buy something, that's when I stumbled across the Valentine's Day deal on Gerbing's Facebook page.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts