Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
'16 FZ09, Blue
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the FZ 09, I noticed what seemed to be more than a usual amount of heat coming from the left side of the engine and really warming up my foot and lower left leg. Is this a FZ thing?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Being new to the FZ 09, I noticed what seemed to be more than a usual amount of heat coming from the left side of the engine and really warming up my foot and lower left leg. Is this a FZ thing?
Personally, I have never noticed heat coming from either side of the engine. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
605 Posts
I felt it the other day on the right side when I put my new exhaust on. Only because I was wearing shorts. I've never felt heat any other time as I wear pants and boots.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Never noticed that, it's the cool side of the engine too.

·
Registered
'16 FZ09, Blue
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP, are you feeling a current of air like maybe your fans are running?
Good question. I haven't had a water cooled bike before (Harleys) so I'm not familiar with the fan operation. What is normal operation with that? I know what it is but when will it come on and cut off normally?

·
Registered
'16 FZ09, Blue
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, to answer your question, I couldn't feel air as I wear riding pants over my normal pants and also riding boots. I just felt like my foot/leg was parked in front of my wood stove to the point I had to hang my foot out in the air off and on while riding. IDK. Want to make sure the top ain't gonna blow off it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You can hear the fan on this bike for sure.

·
Registered
'16 FZ09, Blue
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When will the fan typically come on? Waiting in traffic (yes), 35 mph back road, 60mph state highway? Again, not familiar with it. If I don't think it's coming on, what test can I do to check the function? And again guys, Thanks for the help

·
Registered
189 Posts
2018 MT-09 here. My fan starts at around 219F and turns off at around 215F. So it does not matter your speed. What matters is engine temp. If you reach that threshold temp, the fan will turn on. Once it goes bellow the "off" threshold", it will turn off.

So unless you are riding in ridiculously hot weather, at 35mph, there should be enough air flow to keep temps well below 200F and it will never turn on. I only get my fan turning on at city stop and go traffic. Any steady speeds at or above 35mph and my temps never go near the engagement threshold.

With an ECU flash, it is possible to change the on/off thresholds, so if yours has had an ECU flash, take that into consideration. I'm thinking of flashing my ECU solely to adjust these temp thresholds as I think they are unnecessarily high. I would much prefer using the crap out of a fan and replacing that, than having some major engine component fail due to high temps.

·
Registered
'16 FZ09, Blue
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2018 MT-09 here. My fan starts at around 219F and turns off at around 215F. So it does not matter your speed. What matters is engine temp. If you reach that threshold temp, the fan will turn on. Once it goes bellow the "off" threshold", it will turn off.

So unless you are riding in ridiculously hot weather, at 35mph, there should be enough air flow to keep temps well below 200F and it will never turn on. I only get my fan turning on at city stop and go traffic. Any steady speeds at or above 35mph and my temps never go near the engagement threshold.

With an ECU flash, it is possible to change the on/off thresholds, so if yours has had an ECU flash, take that into consideration. I'm thinking of flashing my ECU solely to adjust these temp thresholds as I think they are unnecessarily high. I would much prefer using the crap out of a fan and replacing that, than having some major engine component fail due to high temps.
Holio, That's what I was trying to get at. If I'm moving at speed, is that enough to keep the temp at a level where the fan is not needed. How are ya'll getting the cut-on-off temps by the way?

·
Registered
'16 FZ09, Blue
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a thought about the heat so ya'll tell me if it sounds plausible to you. I just got back from a ride (second ride since ownership) between rain storms the past few days. And I noticed how the header pipes slant to the left side of the bike then back to the right. Do you think I am getting the header heat from that bend out to the left? IDK but I'm thinking it's quite possible. That is about the level where I'm feeling it on my foot and lower leg. Thoughts? I notice the heat at times and other times I don't but I would say I do notice it about 60% of the time. Perhaps enough crosswinds keep me from noticing it all the time. I do know that on my Harley in a steady crosswind one leg would get warm. Let me know what ya'll think.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've been riding lately when the outside temps were between 97 and 102 degrees. I feel the heat feels about equally on both sides..... HOT

I visually check the cooling level often before I go on long rides. Never any leaks in garage or boil overs and I hear the fan come on and off... so I stopped worrying about it years ago. When I eventually had my ECU flashed a couple years ago I had the fan trigger at a little lower temp as that was an option with Vcyclenut.

If you ride with your motor temperature showing it will ruin your ride on a hot day. I keep mine on ambient temp.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Wait till you ride something like a Duc 899 in traffic. I swear I could smell BBQ.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,824 Posts
Wait till you ride something like a Duc 899 in traffic. I swear I could smell BBQ.

I had Ducati 851 and 916-series bikes, and in slow-moving traffic I had to put my heels on the outer balls of the footpegs and rotate my knees outward, or my ankles would roast! The Yamaha isn’t nearly that bad...

Reactions: LouG
1 - 20 of 43 Posts