Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Heads up to anyone who's put frame sliders on - Check your bolts!

6K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Quasi 
#1 · (Edited)
I just pulled my frame sliders off to adjust them and one of them was corroded about 1/2 an inch near the top. I had to chase the thread with a tap and die to get it back in after cleaning all the crap out. I had used Loctite blue on them.

A little harrowing, thought I screwed up the frame of my bike.

#2 ·
I just pulled my frame sliders off to adjust them and one of them was corroded about 1/2 an inch near the top. I had to chase the thread with a tap and to get it back in after cleaning all the crap out. I had used Loctite blue on them.

I used a little anti seize on the threads when I installed mine. It will solve the corrosion issue.

#6 ·
Galvanic corrosion specifically-exacerbated by water intrusion(worse if it's salt water), and a mild electrical current, which all bikes have to some degree. Makes sense with aluminum frame and stainless bolts, and their proximity to the battery, but not sure why DNFDOUG has it on the caliper bolts. Any suggestions for prevention, and is anti seize a viable solution? Had frame sliders on my R6 for the 10 years I owned it and never had this issue-and I live in Hawaii with a high moisture/salt content in the air. Wierd.

#7 ·
Which sliders did you use?

I just pulled my frame sliders off to adjust them and one of them was corroded about 1/2 an inch near the top. I had to chase the thread with a tap and to get it back in after cleaning all the crap out. I had used Loctite blue on them.

#16 · (Edited)
Except seal the thread from the air and moisture that contributes to corrosion.
Research thread lockers and corrosion inhibition.

" A good choice for medium-strength and medium-viscosity threadlocking is Loctite 243. It ensures that the threaded connection is resistant to vibration, media and temperature, while still allowing disassembly. It acts both as a retainer and as a sealant and prevents corrosion in the thread. "

A professional approach to threadlocking - Henkel

#19 ·
So, do we seal bolts with blue loctite always?
What about the outside of these bolts? Waterproof grease?

I see rust on the outside as well of the bar end bolts and foot peg bolts..apart from white corrosion on the brake calipers (like Luke's picture). Riding through winter with salty roads and some rain for good measure really seems to be attacking the bike's parts!

#21 ·
I will have to agree- with a slight caveat. I had a Indian made KTM and rode through some severe storms and knee deep water- not one spot of rust showed up.
Then again, salt wasn't a factor where I was. I will blame the salt here!

#25 ·
I bought it because it was a cheap bike... And I wanted to keep the triple platform that I loved from my Triumph. So, I don't expect much more than what it is, but it's quality shortcomings are pretty apparent. Still, I love twisting the throttle in A mode, and I don't regret the purchase.

As far as the slider bolts go... I don't think I've ever removed a slider bolt after install, so I'm not sure if corrosion is normal or not. My bikes are always dry, so I'm not terribly concerned. Ride more, worry less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.