Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is a question for electricians and anybody more confident than I am at playing with wires.

I want to change my headlight to something smaller, so I can make a motocross style front end ( I have a 2015 09 btw). I've found a headlight that's a good size and road legal but it has H3 bulbs and connectors.

My question is simple. Is the connection possible? and also, are there any connector adaptors, since I would prefer not cutting the H4 connector off and have the possibility to revert to stock.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
93 Posts
Updated:
Isn't an H3 bulb only single filament - meaning that it is only 'on or off' there is no high beam/low beam functionality? If so I wouldn't recommend using the light you're looking at - eventually you'll have to ride at night and you'll want a high-beam.

It should be simple to wire up - but you'd have to choose if you want the headlight on when the switch is in the high or low position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has a hi beam and low beam, two different bulbs. so that's why i'm not sure how it would fit.

Also I just read up a bit on it and there's the power output difference. The headlight i'm looking at is a 12V /55W H3 headlight. that's standard isn't it?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
93 Posts
easy - you'll want something like this, plug it into your stock harness:
The 'top' wire will be your low beam - its colored blue in the one I linked, but it should always be the 1 pole that is oriented 90 degrees to the other two poles. - connect to you new low-beam bulb
Black wire is ground - you'll have to connect both grounds on the bulbs in the new light.
Red wire is High Beam - connect to your new high beam bulb.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wish I was smart enough to look for one of these when I did my custom light on my 600, would've saved me a lot of tracing wires and soldering.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
93 Posts
I wish I was smart enough to look for one of these when I did my custom light on my 600, would've saved me a lot of tracing wires and soldering.
I always try to avoid hacking the harness if possible. Sometimes it is unavoidable, but for simple stuff like headlights, blinkers, etc its is usually pretty easy to find the correct plug so you can 'tap in' without butchering the factory connections.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This was a hacked up failed streetfighter before I got it, I had to rewire A LOT of very dangerous things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
easy - you'll want something like this, plug it into your stock harness:
The 'top' wire will be your low beam - its colored blue in the one I linked, but it should always be the 1 pole that is oriented 90 degrees to the other two poles. - connect to you new low-beam bulb
Black wire is ground - you'll have to connect both grounds on the bulbs in the new light.
Red wire is High Beam - connect to your new high beam bulb.
Ah mate, thank you very much! I've been waiting to find something that works for my ocd requirements, now I can start getting the parts and get on it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The link you sent, with pretty much all other items from amazon are either unavailable or shipped from asia and won't arrive before at least a month.
I just have to cut the orange bit off and it's exactly the same thing right? Again, very daft question, but I'd rather make sure

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
93 Posts
yup - or go to you local autoparts store, they'll probably have something similar in stock. Mostly posted the link so you could see what the part you needed looks like, lots of options from lots of sellers. You could also check out any retailers that do 'HID' headlight upgrades - most of them have something like this for people who are going to LED's or HID's from their stock headlights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts