Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My first post. Got my FZ09 this past December (used) with 4000kms on it. Blazing Orange. Love it! :)

I got an LED bulb from the motorcycle show in Toronto and replaced it with the original bulb. Looks pretty good to me but I noticed a problem with the side lights not lighting up. They were working before but after going back and forth with trying to adjust all the wires in the back of the headlight (the LED bulb has a bulky back end with a fan in it), I didn't realize when the side lights stopped working. Please see the pictures and you will see what I mean. Can someone advise on what may be the problem and how I can fix it. I tried checking again and looks like all the wires are connected. Two pictures show the side lights working (around the LED white light). The third picture shows that its not working. I thought that it may have something to do with those side lights only working when it's bright or dark so I tried with the garage door closed in the night and with the bike outside during the day but nothing. Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Lighting Auto part Lighting Yellow Automotive lighting Amber Glass Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Not a complete answer, but I would put the original bulb back and see if everything works, then go from there. Good luck.

And, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
check all your fuses..one may have blown

·
Registered
857 Posts
You might have disturbed the wiring for the auxiliary lights, poke around, a connector might be loose and not be easy to see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried checking if the connectors were loose or something but couldn't see anything. I don't like the fact that in order to test out the lights, the bike has to be on. It's quite annoying :frown:

How and where would I be able to check for fuses? Don't know where they are located.

·
Registered
857 Posts
They under the right side fake air scoop. Check you owners manual on how to remove the cover. I looked and could not see a separate fuse for the aux lights.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
How did you resolve location of the ballast ?
I find it to be cramped in there, not much room. I put mine on top of radiator with some double sided tape, but I'm not sure if I like how the wires are running. The one with the power does not fit behind the headlight so I have it on the side. So when you turn the bars that wire also moves in there so I'm not sure if that's going to last that way. But, I don't really see how to do it otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How did you resolve location of the ballast ?
I find it to be cramped in there, not much room. I put mine on top of radiator with some double sided tape, but I'm not sure if I like how the wires are running. The one with the power does not fit behind the headlight so I have it on the side. So when you turn the bars that wire also moves in there so I'm not sure if that's going to last that way. But, I don't really see how to do it otherwise.
I may not be saying this right but the LED bulb doesn't come with a separate protruding ballast. It's just a bulb with (think the shape of a phone CAR charger) with a bulky back end from where there is a connector cable. I'll try to send a pic if I can. It does make it a little tight in the back of the headlight but not like you're describing. I believe you experience that problem with doing a complete HID install. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My LED headlight bulb replacement did not have a separate ballast "box" either - It came from ADVmonster. What mdx described for his LED sounds similar to mine, but my auxiliary bulbs still work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My LED headlight bulb replacement did not have a separate ballast "box" either - It came from ADVmonster. What mdx described for his LED sounds similar to mine, but my auxiliary bulbs still work.
I gotta look into it then. Mine is LED bulb. I got it while ago from Cycle Gear and it has that extra box. If you guys have LED without it, that should be so much easier to work with !

·
Registered
136 Posts
I may not be saying this right but the LED bulb doesn't come with a separate protruding ballast. It's just a bulb with (think the shape of a phone CAR charger) with a bulky back end from where there is a connector cable. I'll try to send a pic if I can. It does make it a little tight in the back of the headlight but not like you're describing. I believe you experience that problem with doing a complete HID install. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It's LED not HID but it has the box with it, just like HID ballast. The bulb sticks out more because it has a fan for cooling.
What kind of LED you got ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The LED headlight replacement that I bought is from ADV Monster. It is an H4 bulb, low & high beam (2400/2400 lumens), 20 watts & 1.5 amps, 30,000 hour, 6000K, heat sink but no fan, and it comes with a simple H4 adapter harness (no box to mount). You can buy direct from the ADV Monster website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Technology Electronic device Electronics Audio equipment Electronic instrument Technology Electronic device Font Label Hard disk drive
It's LED not HID but it has the box with it, just like HID ballast. The bulb sticks out more because it has a fan for cooling.
What kind of LED you got ?
See the attached pics for the LED bulb that I got. Still have not figured out why the aux lights stopped working. Too cold in Toronto to be able to go to the garage and work on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Figured it out guys. It was the 7.5 amp fuse. It controls the brake lights, the horn and the aux lights. I noticed at one point that none of those were working. I searched again on the forum and found a post about the fuse. Sure enough, replaced the fuse with a spare one (spares in the fuse box under the seat) and voila. Everything works :). Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts