Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a reply in a how-to thread, but want to post here for quick answer.

My headlight is aimed to high. I have the procedure from the dealer on adjustment. Can anyone tell me the process? If I sit on bike X feet on level ground from Garage door, I would adjust to Y inches at center of beam above floor. Of course Yamaha adjustment procedure doesn't give values for X and Y since I'm sure suspension, rider weight, etc. will affect.

Can anyone tell me good values for X and Y?

Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Off the cuff, i'd say measure the height of the trunk lid on a family sedan and make it a few inches lower.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Off the cuff, i'd say measure the height of the trunk lid on a family sedan and make it a few inches lower.
Thanks. Assume you mean low beam. And I have a Corolla, which is pretty low, so I'm thinking right at center of that bumper….

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Assume you mean low beam. And I have a Corolla, which is pretty low, so I'm thinking right at center of that bumper….
Any idea what distance from the garage door to do this? Elevation point of aim can be very different at 5 yards, 10 yards, etc….

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Typically you want to adjust at a distance of 25ft. At that distance, your cutoff should not be higher than the center line of the bulb.
Thank you. But cutoff, you mean the highest point of the beam width? And by bulb, you mean the bulb height of the Corolla sedan? Sorry for all the questions. When I did this with my ST1300 a few years ago there were definite recommendations about distance from object and inches above ground for edge of beam...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. But cutoff, you mean the highest point of the beam width? And by bulb, you mean the bulb height of the Corolla sedan? Sorry for all the questions. When I did this with my ST1300 a few years ago there were definite recommendations about distance from object and inches above ground for edge of beam...
At 25', how high should the lowest part of my low beam be?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes, the highest point where the light projects. By the bulb, I mean the bulb inside the housing. If you look really close at the front of many headlight housings, there is a small marker, usually like a cross hair, that is where you can measure from to the ground. 25ft away from there, you shouldn't be as high as the centerline to ground measurement. It should be covered in your state's inspection guidelines, look there for more accurate data. These are only suggestions.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Googled it. Tell me if this sounds right:

1. Measure center of headlight off level ground with bike in riding position. Let's say this is 36".
2. Place bike in riding position on level ground, 25' from flat wall, garage door, etc.
3. Mark the wall with horizontal line at measurement from step 1, say 36" (or actual measurement).
4. Adjust low beam so TOP, or HIGHEST point of low beam is just under line. In other words, full low beam just below line.
5. High beam should then approximately straddle the line. In other words, the high beam should be about centered around the line.

I got this from a diagram that described the process. Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the highest point where the light projects. By the bulb, I mean the bulb inside the housing. If you look really close at the front of many headlight housings, there is a small marker, usually like a cross hair, that is where you can measure from to the ground. 25ft away from there, you shouldn't be as high as the centerline to ground measurement. It should be covered in your state's inspection guidelines, look there for more accurate data. These are only suggestions.
I appreciate your time.

·
Registered
298 Posts

1. Measure center of headlight off level ground with bike in riding position. Let's say this is 36".
2. Place bike in riding position on level ground, 25' from flat wall, garage door, etc.
3. Mark the wall with horizontal line at measurement from step 1, say 36" (or actual measurement).
4. Adjust low beam so TOP, or HIGHEST point of low beam is just under line. In other words, full low beam just below line.
5. High beam should then approximately straddle the line. In other words, the high beam should be about centered around the line.

I got this from a diagram that described the process. Does this sound about right?
Yup, exactly.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Yep, at 25' there should be a 2.1" - 2.5" drop on low beam

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
any reason you're adjusting to a particular x and y, rather than adjusting to suit your riding? inspection?
I figured the measurement to headlight center and thus the line on the wall will be the same height. If the low beam should be all just UNDER that at 25', it will be WAY under that at 100'. I needed to know the standard for measurement since it appears the goal is to angle the low beam slightly below parallel to the ground. If the object were to keep it exactly parallel to the ground I could theoretically measure at 1000' and it would make no difference. The minute you angle the beam down, you need to know a standard measurement distance.

Same reason I don't sight my Glocks in at 100 yards and expect accurate shots at 15 yards or vice versa. If trajectory were perfectly flat and equal over that distance it would not matter the distance sighted in.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I figured the measurement to headlight center and thus the line on the wall will be the same height. If the low beam should be all just UNDER that at 25', it will be WAY under that at 100'. I needed to know the standard for measurement since it appears the goal is to angle the low beam slightly below parallel to the ground. If the object were to keep it exactly parallel to the ground I could theoretically measure at 1000' and it would make no difference. The minute you angle the beam down, you need to know a standard measurement distance.
i'd say the goal is to get maximum usability out of your headlight when you're riding the bike, unless you're doing the adjustment to pass inspection (if your state checks this). you may find the optimum height isn't just below horizontal at 25', although that's as good a starting point as any. for the type of night riding i do, just below horizontal at 25' was too high. but then again, i'm running a high wattage bulb and use the high beam a lot.

once you find the height that works best with the way you ride, you can certainly measure x and y for future reference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
Pseudo-Fed
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing