Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed on the site there is now an HID H4 headlight bulb that is plug and play, Better or worse than the Gold LED light kit? A lot of my riding is done during the night commuting to work

·
Vendor
772 Posts
With a HID you are going to have to hide the ballast/ignitor for the HID. For an led you just have the led driver to hide. It's smaller than the HID ballast.
The led's are instant on where the HID's need time to warm up once turned on. If your battery is lower than 12v you are going to have a misfire or no fire at all on your hid's and you will need to cycle the key to get them to fire and turn on. Led's don't fire they just turn on. Some HID's have been known to cause headlight hazing over long periods of use. Led's not sure but haven't see any hazing and I have used them for about 2 years now. Just some things to consider.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yeah, HID's are not the best choice these days. If you need extra light, the Gold LED is decent but also adding a couple of small LED aux lights will help a lot. I had them on my WR and night rides were soo much better.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The Gold LED bulb is great. I have one on my FZ and I have no regrets. I had an HID bulb on my KTM, but and as Tristan mentioned, I also had to cycle the key a couple times every now and then when it didn't want to turn on.
Light output is roughly equal. I don't know which HID kit was installed on the KTM as the previous owner had installed it.

I don't mean to threadjack, but since Tristan pretty much answered Ryan's question, here goes...

Yeah, HID's are not the best choice these days. If you need extra light, the Gold LED is decent but also adding a couple of small LED aux lights will help a lot. I had them on my WR and night rides were soo much better.
I'd like to either add a couple small aux lights or maybe a small light bar if I could get one to fit nicely !!!

·
Vendor
772 Posts
The Gold LED bulb is great. I have one on my FZ and I have no regrets. I had an HID bulb on my KTM, but and as Tristan mentioned, I also had to cycle the key a couple times every now and then when it didn't want to turn on.
Light output is roughly equal. I don't know which HID kit was installed on the KTM as the previous owner had installed it.

I don't mean to threadjack, but since Tristan pretty much answered Ryan's question, here goes...

I'd like to either add a couple small aux lights or maybe a small light bar if I could get one to fit nicely !!!
We have our driving lights. I will try to get some that are smaller and see about light output.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My DDM 55w H4 Hi/low HID kit has a significant lumen output advantage over the Gold LED you all are referring to. It's not even close. Sure hiding the ballast and ignition box are an additional step, but everything fits nicely behind the headlight.

Don;t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of LED tech. But in a headlight application where lumen output is critical, HIDs are still superior imo.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My DDM 55w H4 Hi/low HID kit has a significant lumen output advantage over the Gold LED you all are referring to. It's not even close. Sure hiding the ballast and ignition box are an additional step, but everything fits nicely behind the headlight.

Don;t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of LED tech. But in a headlight application where lumen output is critical, HIDs are still superior imo.
Have you used Tripage's Gold LED? It claims 5000 lumens, which is the same claim DDM makes on the kit you mentioned.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Have you used Tripage's Gold LED? It claims 5000 lumens, which is the same claim DDM makes on the kit you mentioned.
A guy I ride with claims he has the Gold LED. That is what I'm basing this on. I'll confirm and snap a few night shots if he is correct.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Problem with the Tripage Gold is its' beam pattern spreads the light out in every direction and does a terrible job of focusing it on the road. IMO, even though it's far brighter, mine was a downgrade from the stock bulb. That being said, I've read this is a problem for most LED headlights, so I'm not ragging on their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts

Got any photos of the locations of the box?

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Hid's are great for light output, don't get me wrong. I have had HID's on my truck for years. Switched to Led's and my lights are better than with HID's. "Depends on the reflector of the headlight" Hid's do the same thing as led's do. Put out light. You aren't going to get a cutoff on a bulb replacement, only projectors will give you this. If you want a line cutoff projector install we can do for you as well. Have done it on a number of bikes.

10370906_10203721883961953_4765748459893757191_n.jpg
lo (1).jpg

Attachments

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Hid light
low small.jpg
LED light
lo.jpg

It's a different bike, so results can be different I understand this. I see this from both sides and I know the drawbacks to HID's. Doesn't matter what brand it is they will miss fire at some point.

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Not sure what happened to my post, so I will do this again.
I have had HID's in my truck for years, love them. Just switched to LED's because of the occasional misfire They have great output when they work. I have installed the cheapest to the most expensive set of HID's. Doesn't matter which ones. The bulb or the ballast will fail over time. Misfires happen. Hid's put out light just like LED's do. Spreads all over and hits the reflectors to show that light. Only way to get a line of sight beam is through a projector. If you want this we can install in your headlight. Have done it on many bikes. These use HID's as well and are just now coming out with affordable LED projectors. Here are some light outputs we did on a Honda Grom to show filament,led,hid and projector using one light.
LED 40 watt led, not our gold 50 wall led's
looo.jpg
HID
low small.jpg
Projector
10370906_10203721883961953_4765748459893757191_n.jpg 10624894_10203721882761923_6483718852063622321_n.jpg lo (1).jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts