Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how to adjust the headlight? Mine is aiming into the trees.

Mike

·
Registered
616 Posts
I do a lot of night riding, about 50 miles on my return home commute. My low beam seems to be okay, but when I put on the high beam, it's shining in the trees. Does anybody else notice this? Maybe my low beam is higher than I'm thinking it is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do a lot of night riding, about 50 miles on my return home commute. My low beam seems to be okay, but when I put on the high beam, it's shining in the trees. Does anybody else notice this? Maybe my low beam is higher than I'm thinking it is.
They are both high on my bike, but it does seem the hi-beam and low-beam are too far apart also.

Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes!! The first night ride I did low beams were pointed where high beams should be and driving under trees, the high beams were lighting above me. High beams on the highway were as useful as having no lights on at all. I adjusted from the left side of the bike on the back of the headlight. Still don't have my bike here at the house or I'd snap a quick picture. It took a bit of trial and error but both are now where they should be and very workable. However, I do also agree they could be close to each other. My local dealer didn't have any distance/wall markings to properly align headlights and I would think this should be part of the Dealer's safety check responsibility across the board.

·
Registered
730 Posts
WRONG! Hex head on the left rear of the hl assy....

There is a bolt head adjuster on the front right hand side, as you look at the bike. Something like an M8 or M10 off the top of my head.

·
Registered
730 Posts
On my USA FZ, there are NO adjusting screws in those locations. The only adjustment is a hex head on the back of the hl assembly...

Here are pics to show you where are located thé screws to adjust the beam :
You have to use a screwdriver without removing anything.
General view :
View attachment 3516
Particular view :
View attachment 3517

·
Registered
962 Posts
My high and low beam are further apart than I prefer. That's the bulb that they used - you can't adjust it out. I put the high beam at a good angle to not bother oncoming traffic, and only use my now-too-low low beam to dip my lights as a courtesy when I'm behind cars at a light.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the too-high high beams are perfect for cornering at night. when you're leaned over and the suspension is compressed, you want the beam high to illuminate the turn better.

but, headlight height is adjustable for a reason, just tweak it for the type of riding you do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can use a small screwdriver to "push" the teeth or a 10mm socket. I advise the socket route. This pic is from the left side of the bike btw.

Headlight adjuster.jpg

·
Registered
276 Posts
My high and low beam are further apart than I prefer. That's the bulb that they used - you can't adjust it out. I put the high beam at a good angle to not bother oncoming traffic, and only use my now-too-low low beam to dip my lights as a courtesy when I'm behind cars at a light.
So maybe there is another bulb that would work better?

·
Registered
654 Posts
anyone dropped an HID conversion into the factory headlight housing yet?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts