Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was having all sorts of trouble seeing at night, event after I installed an led bulb. I did some research and found that the cutoff for a lamp was recommended somewhere around 2" shorter than lamp center at 20'. Right under 3'. Mine was somewhere around 5'

10mm wrench on the left (clutch) side of the lamp adjusts the height without removing the unit, check yours if your having issues with nightvison.

Also if any old pros have a better recommendation for where the light should be adjusted to, please share!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
This is one thing i have been meaning to get around to........adjusting the headlight properly.

Mine is set way too high from factory.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is, but you can make the adjustment without removing anything.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For adjusting the headlight horizontally, they say to use a crosshead (Phillips) screwdriver "in hole A". Hole A is on the right side of the headlight assembly. But, when I look in that hole, I do not see any sort of adjusting screw... Did I lose this adjustment during my HID retrofit? Or, are other people missing this as well? What do you see when you look into that hole?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice thanks for sharing, i just threw in cree fan less led my lights are to high too.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I like to see mine cut off about 5-6" below the trunk lid when I'm behind the avg sedan.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For adjusting the headlight horizontally, they say to use a crosshead (Phillips) screwdriver "in hole A". Hole A is on the right side of the headlight assembly. But, when I look in that hole, I do not see any sort of adjusting screw... Did I lose this adjustment during my HID retrofit? Or, are other people missing this as well? What do you see when you look into that hole?
I noticed the same thing, I don't have a retrofit though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
There is a screw, but if you look in the "hole" you will see a bunch of little teeth. If you use a phillips screwdriver, they work like a gear to turn the screw. Brian, I center the projector horizontally, so you shouldn't need to mess with that. I re-set all reflector bowls back to the setting they are at when I receive them, so it is possible that it may need to go up if it wasn't adjusted properly when I received it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Left side headlight, phillips head, and go to town on it until it sits where you want it. My AHR retro came back with my beam up into the trees. I didn't notice until my first night ride about a week later lol. Really simple adjustment, just a trial and error type deal.

Make sure you sit on the bike to test your beam height, as the suspension will throw the beam up more when you sit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Left side headlight, phillips head, and go to town on it until it sits where you want it. My AHR retro came back with my beam up into the trees. I didn't notice until my first night ride about a week later lol. Really simple adjustment, just a trial and error type deal.

Make sure you sit on the bike to test your beam height, as the suspension will throw the beam up more when you sit.
That's the tough thing about mail orders, without the bike, we can't adjust it properly, and each rider is different, so the heavier the rider, the higher the beam will be. The best way to adjust is to point at a wall, about 25' away, and measure up to the cut off line. That measurement should not be any higher than the center of your headlight. I always suggest an inch or so below the center line of the projector.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think the low and high beams are too far apart. Everyone's seem to come from the factory with the highbeam lighting the treetops. I wonder if it's related to the shock and stock setting (3 of 7 clicks) which Yamaha claims is optimized for the average 20 year old Japanese male (125-140lbs). With the average Statesman sitting on it the lights are up too high.

I adjusted mine down to where the high beam is usable and the low beam is too low for anything but the neighborhood...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the high high beam is useful for cornering at night. with the bike leaned over and the suspension compressed, the low beam doesn't do a whole lot.

i'd advise replacing the stock bulb for starters. if you're going to stick with halogens, get the osram rallyes. they come in 70/65w and 85/80w. heavy duty headlight wiring is recommended with the 85/80 and neither will be as long-lived as the stock bulbs.

the flash-to-pass button lights up the high beam without turning off the low beam, so you can hold it down if you need both filaments on at once. wouldn't recommend long-term use of it with the stock wiring though. heavy duty wiring with relays will take the electrical load off of the stock wiring and switches.

there are other options as well - hid or led retrofit, auxiliary lighting, etc.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Trial and error....I shoot for the cutoff of the beam to be positioned just under the upper trunk edge on cars in front of me.....
That's the tough thing about mail orders, without the bike, we can't adjust it properly, and each rider is different, so the heavier the rider, the higher the beam will be. The best way to adjust is to point at a wall, about 25' away, and measure up to the cut off line. That measurement should not be any higher than the center of your headlight. I always suggest an inch or so below the center line of the projector.

Reactions: AHR

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Little piece of advise here for all AHR retro fit owners. Make sure the wiring is all nice and tie up good. For some odd reason one of my connector got wedge between the lower triple tree and the lock to lock stop, grounding the wire to the frame. Still have a test to do but look like I might have fried the ballast :(

No ones fault but my own... sucks!

Oh, by the way Chad told me there's enough amps coming out of the wire when the ballast is on to kill me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Need to adjust my headlight aim height also. Can anyone tell me a distance from an object like garage door while sitting on the bike, and how high to measure the center of the low beam? Didn't see that in this thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a screw, but if you look in the "hole" you will see a bunch of little teeth. If you use a phillips screwdriver, they work like a gear to turn the screw. ...
At the risk of sounding like a complete noob here, but...
Is there some magic to this? I see the hole on the right/throttle side and I see what looks like a vertical set of teeth facing forwards. I tried a couple different phillips head screwdrivers, but never got a change. It's hard to tell if the screwdriver is ever engaging the 'teeth'. And when it does, is it a difficult adjustment or does it move easily?

The one thing i did discover is that the plastic wire harness/keeper on that side of the headlight assembly didn't have the wire in it = an easy fix.

·
Registered
245 Posts
With all the deer locally (and having another bike with better lights), I think I've ridden the FZ-09 at night twice for about 5 total miles. But it was clearly apparent that I could only see the owls in the tree tops with the high beams as set from the factory. Anyway, I used a screwdriver at first, but you can easily rotate the little gear/knob with your fingers. My high beam is way better, but not quite right yet. The next time I ride it at night, I'm just going to fine tune it with my fingers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts