Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Houston today. Weather was cooler than expected, I was chilly most of the ride, you stubborn to put in my jacket liner. I did swap gloves though.

The ride was rough. I got off of night shift at 1 am, went to bed at 3, woke up at 8 for final prep. Rode ~11ish hours to Alpine, TX. Ran out of gas on the way (I tell myself that it's deliberate). Had a 0.35 gal fuel canister on me so that saved me.

Got to the Big Bend Biker Hotel around 21:30. Showered, made it to the bar about an hour before closing, couple beers, couple shots (sotol and tequila), bedtime coming soon.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Drinkware Blue Helmet Sports equipment Cup

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

I planned on testing the range at some point, just so I know for sure how far I can nurse it. Just didn't plan on it this soon haha. This was with riding an average of 65 mph. I think if I dropped to 55 I could have probably pushed to 40 miles.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I rode away from Alpine, TX around 10 am. Headed north towards Ruidoso. Stopped in Marfa for a quick snack of strawberry rhubarb pie and carried on.

I had planned on a nice scenic route, but the wind today was BRUTAL. Ended up taking the shorter route way via freeway.

The last ~40 miles of riding was gorgeous though, I'll be sure to ride around this area tomorrow.

Got to my friends house around 5 pm, greeted with a gorgeous glass of rosé. Hung around and caught up over some tequila (Ocho reloading if anyone is curious).

Sky Tire Motorcycle Automotive tire Wheel

Food Tableware Table Dishware Furniture

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Fuel tank

Tableware Drinkware Stemware Bottle Wine

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today was a chill day at my friend's place in Alto, NM. Went for a ride sans luggage, down to Tularosa and Cloudcroft. US 82 before Cloudcroft was a great road to ride on, but NM 244 was straight up magical. Good surface, nice mix of sweepers and tight corners. Had an absolute blast.

On the way i stopped in La Luz, snapped a picture of this cool food pantry/church. Also stopped in Cloudcroft for pizza and a half pint.

Most awesome chill relaxing day so far.
Sky Building House Land lot Road surface

Sky Window Tree Building Leisure

Hope the vertical pics aren't too annoying. I have family following my trip on IG so I take most pics vertically just because that's the IG format.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also... Forgot to mention, my rear tire will not last as far as CA, so I'm stopping by a Yamaha dealership in Albuquerque to get a pair of Roadsmart 4s fitted tomorrow, on my way to GCNP. Due to this developing situation, and the tunnel fire north of Flagstaff, I'll be hitting I40 most of the way. Not exciting but I'll make do.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting thing, while in Ruidoso I'm getting a ridiculous 57 mpg. It's a little over 100 miles before the fuel gauge even does down to the halfway point. That being said it was also down on power quite a bit. Rolling on the throttle around 3000 rpm in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, you'll feel the bike being sluggish.

Wonder if it's altitude related and the ECU making adjustments to avoid knock?

Just got to a dealership in ABQ, R&S Yamaha on Lomas Blvd. Their tire prices are nuts. The only stock they have for sport touring is a Dunlop Roadsmart 4. $237 for front and rear, tax included. Install is another $92. Probably the least I've ever paid for tires.

The road out of Alto was pretty gorgeous too, rode off about a half hour after sunrise and the light was fantastic. Some sweet twisty bits early on as well. This is where I wish I have a GoPro setup, but the reality is I'm to lazy to edit it.

Sky Plant Natural landscape Road surface Asphalt

Sky Motorcycle helmet Helmet Sports gear Eyewear

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was the loop I did in Ruidoso. The ride down 70 was nice and scenic. Around High Rolls the road started to get amazing. Twists and turns, short cliff on your right, the occasional creek sighting, and plenty of passing lanes so you're not always stuck behind a minivan.

The road back to 70, NM-244 was GLORIOUS. It also helped that it was around 68F that day without a cloud in the sky. My favorite riding day so far.

World Slope Line Map Font

I'm probably leaving this dealership (on new tires yikes) around noon. Gonna skip the campsite tonight in order to play catch up on my mileage. Heading to Winslow, AZ and crashing in an old school Rte66 motel. Apparently I need to take a picture of some famous street corner there?

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dudes... ****. This. Wind.

Battling 30-40 mph winds with up to 70 mph gusts. Stopped off in Gallup and debated calling it and just going to a motel. But most of the places I saw were either sketch or ridiculously overpriced.

Soldiering on to Winslow 50 miles at a time. I need to take breaks.

Quick pic from the road

Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire Cloud

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dudes... ****. This. Wind.

Battling 30-40 mph winds with up to 70 mph gusts. Stopped off in Gallup and debated calling it and just going to a motel. But most of the places I saw were either sketch or ridiculously overpriced.
Good news is it's calming down tonight and will be nice for your ride in GC tomorrow. FYI - he high plateau going into GC is almost always windy.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got in around 6 pm last night, definitely a pretty quiet town but I haven't ventured "downtown" yet. Gonna grab a quick shower and head to the brewery.

I already like this place way more than Gallup, although not sure I'm comparing apples to apples. Gallup just seemed like a dying little industrial town with shuttered motels and gas stations.

Anyway, checked in to Earl's Motor Court and my room came with a personal guard dog.
Cloud Building Sky Property Tire

Dog Window Carnivore Felidae Dog breed
Daytime Beard Statue Sculpture Sky

Automotive lighting Plant Wheel Tire Electricity

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Writing this from Flatbed Ford Cafe, naturally... Had a very chill morning to make up for the punishing day yesterday. The motel was great! Water pressure fantastic, clean and smelled nice. Not musty or moldy. Had a smart TV so I chilled and watched a bit of British crime drama while I made my coffee

Gonna crush some breakfast tacos and head to the Grand Canyon and set up camp.

Lots of exploring to do in the coming days

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still alive! Had minimal reception in GCNP and their wifi was super spotty as well. I gave up trying and my phone went into airplane mode by the time I set up camp. I'm in SD now, doing a ton of catching up with friends and helping with wedding prep. Not sure I'll get to run away for a day of riding yet, but we'll see.

I'll catch up with a bit more details and pics soonish.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts