1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 19mm diameter pin that a friend fabricated for me. I had him make it longer than the factory pins, with a 25mm diameter x 25mm height shoulder to raise the front end of the bike higher. It fits a little loose but it's OK. I will likely wrap some tape on it to make it a more snug fit. In a pinch you can use a deep socket with the correct outside diameter to fit, invert it and slip it over whatever pin fits snug inside it.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info guys, thanks....it sounds like 21mm should work....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Im in the same boat. I will probably need to get a special pin made up, or try a pitbull and see if it works with my stand.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
See post #5 guys! It is what works...and I've got a Pit Bull.

·
Registered
657 Posts
See post #5 guys! It is what works...and I've got a Pit Bull.
Our stands are a bit different than pitbull. The pins for ours are different lengths (and do not have a 20mm option). I might try and order a standard pitbull to see if it works with our style of stands.

For the mean time I'm going to have to use a socket with 20mm O.D.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Gothcha......but the hole size is still a 20mm, so whatever you get or get made....that's the size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all - sorry dig up an old thread but I could use some help :encouragement:

I'm having a similar issue with my Venom triple tree stand i.e. I don't have the correct pin size and using a smaller size means there is not enough clearance between the stand and the headlight unit. I like the idea of using a socket to extend the pin, but I don't follow how it works. Doesn't the pin have to have a 'shoulder' which the triple tree rests on and that takes the weight of the bike? If using a socket, the side is a flat surface and so there is nothing to lift the triple tree. The triple tree itself is completely hollow (at least mine is) so there is no ledge/shoulder inside the triple tree which the socket would push against.

Have I misunderstood how this is supposed to work?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes, the proper size pin will have a shoulder for the tree to rest on.
When using a socket, find one that 1) fits the pin you are using, and 2) has a shoulder that the tree can rest on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi all - sorry dig up an old thread but I could use some help :encouragement:

I'm having a similar issue with my Venom triple tree stand i.e. I don't have the correct pin size and using a smaller size means there is not enough clearance between the stand and the headlight unit. I like the idea of using a socket to extend the pin, but I don't follow how it works. Doesn't the pin have to have a 'shoulder' which the triple tree rests on and that takes the weight of the bike? If using a socket, the side is a flat surface and so there is nothing to lift the triple tree. The triple tree itself is completely hollow (at least mine is) so there is no ledge/shoulder inside the triple tree which the socket would push against.

Have I misunderstood how this is supposed to work?

Thanks
Take your pin to ace hardware and get a collar for it with a set screw. The collar will work like the shoulder. They look like this: http://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-...&keywords=19mm+id+shaft+collar+with+set+screw

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I use 19mm pin since this application isn't a close tolerance issue and the extra wiggle room is nice to have and it doesn't hurt the bike, pin, or stand. to each his own on how you set things up, yet always use caution and be as safe as possible in doing so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts