Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently posted up about how I got my tires changed and the dealer marred my rims but that's another story. Today I was able to take the bike out for a spin finally and now I'm noticing head shake when accelerating hard. I rarely had issues with this before but we all know how this front end gets a little light and likes to wiggle. Well now, it occurs nearly every time I accelerate at full throttle. I put on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2's front and rear. After leaving the dealer, I set my tire pressure to 32psi front and 34 psi rear which is where I had them on the stockers. I was pretty pissed off that they marred my rims, but now I'm furious as the bike just feel dangerous under acceleration. Part of me wants to take it back in, part of me says its something I need to look into on my own because I don't trust them. So what would cause this problem? Two things I noticed, first on the front axle there is like a neck exposed on one side of the axle and not the other. Is this installed correct and could someone see if their bike looks the same? Second, they installed the tire the opposite way on the rim (see photo). The tire is rotating the correct way, but the spokes of the rim are opposite direction of the of the rear. Are rims directional and could this cause it? Is it improperly balanced? Uhhh help!

Front rim wrong direction. Tire is correct direction though.
1.jpg

Necked down section of axle sticking out.
2.jpg

No necked down section. Is this normal?
3.jpg

·
Registered
474 Posts
Axel is fine as long as the outside of the hex side is flush with the wheel block. Rims are directional in pattern, but I don't know if that is the source of your shake. Could be.

out of balance , IMHO would cause vibration more then shake (side to side)

Reactions: Th3 VVay

·
Registered
474 Posts
Also, if they put your tire on backwards, what are the odds that this guy has your rear wheel aligned with the front correctly ?

·
Registered
474 Posts
String method is probably the easiest as most have string around the house. They make various alignment tools as well. That being said i would get your front tire fixed first.

Reactions: chris1261

·
Registered
25 Posts
This reminds me of the time I took my bike in for tires and didn't inspect it when I picked it up. After I rode it home I realized the rear tire was over half an inch closer to the right side of the swing arm than the left... I was furious. Fixed it myself though, didn't trust the dealer after that.

·
Banned
486 Posts
have a trusted dealer mount the tire on the other way, and also before tightening the pinch bolt youre suppose to bounce the forks up and down, they did not do that. stay away from that shop, they are a bunch of hack job dumb ass hats

·
Registered
6 Posts
I might be crazy, but I think your wheel is on backwards. I just did my front tire about 2 weeks ago, and the machined portion of the hub was on the left, looking at the bike from the front. The right side (looking at the bike from the front) is machined flat, unless your picture is a reverse image? Do a search for FZ-09 front wheel, but also go look at a brand new bike and compare. I just checked my FZ-09 and it matches the pictures I (hopefully) am posting.

FZ-09 Front Wheel.jpg

FZ-09 Front Wheel Arrow.jpg

DSCN0812_zps257fd2ea.jpg

My front wheel

Front wheel.jpg

Looking at your pictures again, I am certain your front wheel is on backwards. Take everything back to them and get the service manager involved ASAP! It looks like the tire is mounted correctly (on the backwards rim), so they won't have to pull the tire and flip it. What a mess!

·
Registered
158 Posts
For what it's worth, I have replaced tires on bikes different brands and had totally different handling between the brands because of outer diameter differences. I think you might have put the front wheel on backwards thinking the front tread points forward. Many front tires the tread points to the rear. Look for the arrow on the side of the tire showing the rotation direction. If I'm wrong... I will eat my words. Not really, I'll just eat another donut. In the past, I have used take off front tires on the rear of a mini supermoto and learned you have to run them in reverse on the rear because the carcass is not designed for the loads going that direction. They would self destruct in one outing on the track. If your front wheel is on backwards because the tread looks right you need to fix it right away.

Hope this helps.

-Shannon

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might be crazy, but I think your wheel is on backwards. I just did my front tire about 2 weeks ago, and the machined portion of the hub was on the left, looking at the bike from the front. The right side (looking at the bike from the front) is machined flat, unless your picture is a reverse image? Do a search for FZ-09 front wheel, but also go look at a brand new bike and compare. I just checked my FZ-09 and it matches the pictures I (hopefully) am posting.

View attachment 17775

View attachment 17776

View attachment 17777

My front wheel

View attachment 17779

Looking at your pictures again, I am certain your front wheel is on backwards. Take everything back to them and get the service manager involved ASAP! It looks like the tire is mounted correctly (on the backwards rim), so they won't have to pull the tire and flip it. What a mess!
I appreciate the input but I already mentioned that the rim is backwards in my initial post. The tire is spinning in the correct rotation but the rim is not. In my previous post, the service manager said he will do everything to make it right. They are powder coating my rims but not until I have some down time when I'm not riding. Until then, I'll have them spin the tire and check balance again. This is some serious bs though. I can almost half understand knocking the rims. But having this many problems is front something as simple as changing a tire is infuriating.

·
Registered
657 Posts
crappy that the dealer made that mistake. The rim (mine anyway) doesn't have directional indicators (arrows) which is odd to me. My other bike has them cast into the spokes. Still, it's not hard to figure out.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I took a paint stick and put an "R" on the hub of the wheel before I ever too the front wheel off the first time. That makes it easy to keep it correct.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
657 Posts
I put a little arrow with black paint marker with rotation direction.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took a paint stick and put an "R" on the hub of the wheel before I ever too the front wheel off the first time. That makes it easy to keep it correct.
Good thinking. I only knew from looking at pictures of my bike that weekend and seeing the spokes rotate towards the rear of the bike and they face forward. I honestly, I can see a dealer or even myself making that mistake because it is subtle. But marring the rims, improperly balancing/and or not aligning the rear tire properly is inexcusable. I will check the alignment using the string method as soon as I get home from work.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just use a black marker and put a arrow showing direction on the brake rotor.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
front axle and spacers are installed correctly.

a front end wobble can be caused by any number of things (most of which were covered above), including a problem with the rear of the bike. post some close up pics of the left and right sides of the rear wheel showing the spacers.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Damn Vern. That is a great idea. I can just put a little red dot on the right side of the hub with a touch-up pen. Red = Right. Thank you.
Doug, I've got three sets of wheels for the track bike and not only do they have the "R" on the right side, they are also numbered 1,2, and 3 per sets..... It helps keep things orderly.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
In fairness to the mechanic there is not a directional arrow on the front wheel. Go figure, every bike i have owned always had an arrow on both wheels.

The first time i took off my front wheel for new rubber i spent a good 20 minites with reading glasses and a flash light looking in vain for an arrow. None to be found.

So what I do now is put on a piece of tape and with a Sharpy I make my own arrow. Then when I drop the wheel off at the shop I point to the arrow to make sure they see it.

What is the world coming to?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The tire is spinning in the correct rotation but the rim is not.
The tire is also backwards. There should be a rotational arrow on the sidewall. The wheel just needs to be turned around.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts