Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I noticed my head lamp was not working.

When the FZ09 is turned on
-running lights are on
-high beam indicator stays on
-high beam light does not work
-low beam light does not work
-passing flasher does not work

I changed head lamp fuse with no luck so I took my FZ09 to the dealer to use the warranty. He says wires are crimped and has to order more from Yamaha. Any one have the same thing happen to them?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for the reply's. I have not changed blinkers. The mechanic asked me if I removed head light to install my MRA Wind Screen which I didn't. So I thinking the pinched wire is under the plate that attaches to wind screens. I will find out exactly where the crimped wire is this morning.
My FZ09 has 3000 miles on her and the head light gave no warning of going out. I 've had to push in the plug that connects left handle bar assembly(sorry don't know correct name) and looks like wires are exposed. Also been caught in rainstorms and a little flooding. Not that this has anything to do with crimped wire but this could be a short or a loose connection.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yamaha mechanic says Yamaha is sending complete harness and installing under warranty. The wire was crimped at the headlight.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Unrelated to the OP's problem but worth noting...my headlight stopped working completely the other day. Everything functioned as it should including the high beam indicator but no headlight. Checked the fuses and the element itself didn't look burned. Turns out the connector had backed itself off of the bulb. Reached back there from both sides and worked it back on without having to remove the headlight. The headlight circuit was pulling tight when turning all the way to the left so I repositioned it a little.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Stay tuned and wait for your letters.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I find it interesting that the MT has a recall issued by the factory for something, one would assume, would affect a certain range of FZ's as well. So, Europe and Asia get a factory ECU reflash, and a recall issued for the headlight in Japan but nothing issued for North American customers? Odd...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That recall addresses exactly what happened to mine last weekend.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It happened to me as well... not a severed wire, but the connector backing off the bulb and the headlight not working. It wasn't long after I had the headlight assembly off to install the turn signals, so I assumed that it had happened because I failed to fully seat the connector on the bulb during re-assembly.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yamaha has released a dealer notice announcing a "factory modification campaign" to address the issue that will add a headlight bulb sub-lead harness to provide proper lead wire length.

The appropriate technical bulletins should be going out soon.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So, I think my headlight wire came loose today as well. Was getting into work when the high beam light came on and as I guessed, none of the beams were actually working. I will have to look at it this evening.
What could the reason be? Maybe because I rode in the rain yesterday? Maybe the 1 million potholes on the roads? Maybe the faulty circuit? I hope it is as easy as plugging back the connector.

Will call dealer and also find about the recall/service bulletin. Hopefully I can get home in good light conditions.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You can see the connector fairly easily, and you can also reach in and reconnect it without removing anything from the bike... there's no reason to ride home in the dark if the connector has just simply backed off of the bulb.

The reason is not enough play in the wiring. It's fairly taught. If you watch the connector/wiring while turning the handlebars full left/right, you'll see the wiring tugging on the connector.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Mine doesn't tug, but then I played with my harness when I had the tank off (and the headlight apart). I always get a little intimate with what's under the covers on a new bike so I'll know where to put my accessory fuse block for a Stebel, aux lights, charge port,... I'll check it occasionally. The wiring going out the tail is really tight too - but I couldn't get it more play. I need to take apart again to add my magic blinkers. I figured they were minimizing weight and cost by reducing every possible mm of wire...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts