Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading suspension on my bike and I'm having a bit for trouble finding info what alternatives to go for.
I have given up trying to find a zx6rr shock and i believe I'm to heavy (240lbs without gear) for the zx6r alternative.
My best bet i think is the Hayabusa shock, but i dont know if the newer ones (08-17+) will fit..
are they all 330mm/13" eye to eye?
what about spring rates?
will it actually fit in place?

I hope someone here know and I'm also willing to consider other alternatives

I'm 185cm tall and weigh about 108kg/240lbs without gear (strong/athletic build)

·
Registered
870 Posts
you can use the ZX6 shock, you just have to spring it and redo the internals. There's a thread dedicated to the 'busa. Start there if you haven't.
But to asnswer your question 99-12 are all 330mm long. Presumably that still holds for 13+.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to go for brand new Öhlins STX46 YA335 set up for my weight..
The sucker was expensive too.. over 800USD in Norway (wasn't cheaper to import because of customs)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to save up a bit before i could buy, but its still winterish weather outsider.
Look what came in the mail today!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed it today.
The whole job from start start to finish was less than 2 hours.
Now i have done the 2 R/H fork mod and a New rear shock!
I need to do some adjusting to get it perfect, but i bet it will feels like a a different bike.

Got to say is feels a LOT better than the stock unit even and a standstill.

With any luck i will be possible for a testride in the beginning of May

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Any test rides yet?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep!
Got to say the rear end feels Amazing now!
Feels controlled without being harsh, a joy to ride.

I have also done the 2RH fork internals mod with 10N/mm Springs in it.
Its miles better than stock, but i still need to fine tune it to get the best out of it.
With both preload and rebound tuned in about 4-5 clicks it feels well damped and very controlable, but a little harsh on enough roads

·
Registered
83 Posts
This isn't a hayabusa forum mate.

But Nitron, Ktech etc might be able to sell you a spring that will fit your shock. They will likely fit it as well.

As for extended swingarms, is it a drag bike? Otherwise I have to ask, wtf is the point other than to ruin your bikes handling and to make it look stupid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just going to take advantage of this miserable thread resurrection to add a little info about this mod since I just did it last weekend and I had a hard time finding useful info on this site:

I used a 1st generation busa shock (99-07) snagged for $30 off ebay.
The shock interchangeability spreadsheet indicated that while the 2nd gen shocks are the same size, the spring is a little stiffer and I was worried about it being too much.
I'm over 300# and I'm using about half the preload on the shock to reach 40mm sag and match my front 1.0kg springs so that concern was unfounded.
MotoShane has a great video @
that helps.
You'll need to trim out 4" or so of the underseat tray to be able to get the shock reservoir through. I tied the wires up out of the way and used an oscillating multi tool, it ate through the plastic very easily.
If you don't get the linkage with the shock or don't want to buy the suzuki parts to use their 10mm bottom mount bolt, you'll just need to widen the hole on the clutch side of shock - the stock bolt will fit through the hole on the throttle side as is so I just used a uni-bit to open up the one side slightly.

It's much easier to mount the upper first then do the lower when installing the 'new' shock. You need all the wiggle room you can get for the top since the reservoir obscures things and it's easier to move the wheel up and down to get the lower bolt in. I had to use wrenches from beneath the swingarm to tighten the lower mount - at anything but full bottom out, the nut/bolt are inside the swingarm and you can't get a socket on them. Unbolting the linkage may help but I didn't try it.

I don't see a way to adjust the preload with the tank installed so I had to keep putting it on and off while adjusting rear sag. You can access the top compression adjustment through the side so once your sag is dialed in you can reassemble. There's 24 clicks of adjustment on rebound and compression. I'm have them both set at 12 out right now

YMMV but I'm really happy with it for the money - the rear soaks up bumps much better and squirms much less during mid-corner road imperfections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.