Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm just cruising around I find it difficult to up shift smoothly, just seems kinda jerky. If I get more aggressive it's fine, but then I'm doing 90 before I know it, lol. Any suggestions on smoother up shifting? Maybe it's just this bike, my first with fuel injection. Aside from that it's great, the torque seems to pull indefinitely.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think the transmission on this bike is subpar, and feel the same way with my bike.
I beg to differ. I think the transmission is great! I find it to be very smooth with no problem finding neutral. I think it's more about finding that sweet spot and not rushing the shift at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I beg to differ. I think the transmission is great! I find it to be very smooth with no problem finding neutral. I think it's more about finding that sweet spot and not rushing the shift at cruising speeds.
nah never ridden a triumph before...
but some of these threads on our forum talk about how loud as hell this clutch is when going into first...its because the transmission...is meh to be honest.
...perhaps i a m bit biased because i have only riddden amazing bikes before such a ninja 250, sv 650, gsxr, r6, zx6r, etc.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i personally think this shifts way easier and better than my SV. practice practice practice - the bike may ride different than what you're used to, have you gotten a lot of seat time on the bike? If not, just give it time and keep practicing.

If your clutch is in need of adjustment, i dont know if there is a thread covering this adjustment on here specifically but doing a search on youtube will net you how to adjust this on another bike which will be similar to this one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've not noticed any rough shifts that the bike had anything to do with.. :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
If I'm just cruising around I find it difficult to up shift smoothly, just seems kinda jerky. If I get more aggressive it's fine, but then I'm doing 90 before I know it, lol. Any suggestions on smoother up shifting? Maybe it's just this bike, my first with fuel injection. Aside from that it's great, the torque seems to pull indefinitely.
Same here. While I have learned what the bike likes, it is better now. The drive train has a ton of slack in it. Think of keeping that slack tight when changing gears at a casual pace. The normal pull the clutch in, yawn, shift and slow release will getcha plenty of jerky movement. The drive train slack is like pulling another car with yours. Let that slack get in there and boom, it hits hard. Keep the slack out and have it remain taunt. I truly wish I could tell you how to do it, like explaining how to walk, but maybe this helps somewhat.

·
Registered
555 Posts
galinbro said:
I think the transmission on this bike is subpar, and feel the same way with my bike.
Do we have a "do not like" post button?

This bike is far from subpar in my opinion. For the price, the bike is fantastic and has some really good features. And amazing amounts of power. People knew when buying a bike of this calibre for the cheap price, that there were going to be "subpar components" that would require aftermarket expense, but to classify the whole bike as subpar to me is taking it a bit far. Certain parts would be subpar.......the suspension being the only major one that would rate a mention with me. The rest of the bike seems very good quality and very good fun.

Horses for courses though, you can always buy a Triumph lol.

This bike shifts better than any I have ever owned, and have not gotten one false neutral or anything as such so far. The box clicks right in with a good firm feel, you do have to be firm however which to me is a good thing. Adjusting the shift lever was paramount for me as it was set way too high from factory. The biggest factor I believe to the jerky nature of the shifts is the heavy handed clutch and jerky nature of the throttle in "A" and "STD" modes. When cruising I let the clutch out a lot slower to eliminate any jerkiness, and tend to have the bike in "B" mode when simply cruising.......this will eliminate a lot of the jerkiness that you may feel. I actually found it easier to learn the bikes little nuances with the throttle in "B" mode, for about 500km. Now I ride around all the time in "A" mode lol!!!!

The clutch grabs quite strongly also and there is a fine line between smooth and jerky, however the more I ride the more I am finding the "sweet" spots with all the moving parts.

Especially the sweet spot on the rear wheel pivot point lol.

The clutch is quite noisy in neutral however, probably the noisiest I have ever heard on a bike. An issue....or an annoyance?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have been having a hard time mostly with the 4->5 shift for some reason. Went for a frozen-finger ride today, and tried to improve this issue. What I noticed is that I was not letting the shifter lever fully return down after a 3->4 shift. Also seemed liked giving the clutch a faster / less full squeeze also helped. Only about 200 miles on her, will take more before I know for sure what I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Adjusting the shift lever was paramount for me as it was set way too high from factory.
I have been considering this too, it feels like I have to "toe up" too much , but for some reason it is more noticeable on 4->5 for me.

I will try it and report back in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
1) adjust the play out of your throttle cable.
2) adjust the shifter
3) adjust the clutch cable and the angle around the handlebar
4) adjust the chain

then see how sloppy and jerky the shifts are.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can relate to the jerky off on throttle response. They say the reflash from Nick will cure a lot of this issue. I ride mostly in B mode. Might explore the throttle tamer tube also.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nope.... Mos t of this is from the ride-by-wire(rbw) system. Stoltecs ecu reflash should resolve the issues...

·
Registered
730 Posts
None of which are "amazing"...

nah never ridden a triumph before...
but some of these threads on our forum talk about how loud as hell this clutch is when going into first...its because the transmission...is meh to be honest.
...perhaps i a m bit biased because i have only riddden amazing bikes before such a ninja 250, sv 650, gsxr, r6, zx6r, etc.

·
Registered
730 Posts
1) adjust the play out of your throttle cable.
2) adjust the shifter
3) adjust the clutch cable and the angle around the handlebar
4) adjust the chain

then see how sloppy and jerky the shifts are.
I've gotta agree.... Seems like most of these complaints are from guys that don't know how to adjust everything to fit them.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Waste of money with ride-by-wire......

I can relate to the jerky off on throttle response. They say the reflash from Nick will cure a lot of this issue. I ride mostly in B mode. Might explore the throttle tamer tube also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me clarify what I mean by rough upshifts. The gearbox is fine, I can shift it smoothly and quietly, but I'm having difficulty being smooth from gear to gear when re-releasing the clutch. If I take off like my hair is on fire and rip thru the gears its no issue, but if I'm calm and try to be smooth with it, I just cant seem to be... Its like it would rather me be aggressive all the time and sometimes that just isnt whats called for. I'm pleased with the quality so far and the performance is unbelievable, much more than I expected or needed, but I'm also realizing maybe this wasnt the bike I was looking for...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts