Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2019 MT-09
88 Posts
My dad was almost as impatient as me and just couldn't seem to find a way to engage me in any hands on project without yelling and swearing and calling me an idiot. This resulted in my having a real lack of confidence with anything mechanical for decades. One day in my forties I woke up and said to myself "Enough is enough, I'm going to learn some mechanical stuff". Bought a rested out old Datsun 280Z and with the help of some friends totally rebuilt it into a sweet little ride, learning a ton of stuff along the way. One of those learnings is that I simply don't enjoy the process at all! I get some satisfaction and a little pride when finishing little projects successfully but to this day even assembling Ikea furniture gives me pause and I frickin hate it! So I'm sure no one will accuse me for being a know it all mechanical genius, and I really do appreciate all the good tips you guys share. I can do some stuff but I just don't like doing it. :)

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
My dad was almost as impatient as me and just couldn't seem to find a way to engage me in any hands on project without yelling and swearing and calling me an idiot.
Substitute Dad for tradesman, and that was the first two years of my mechanics apprenticeship.
Even before computers were common, many of them believed that apprentices needed the information punched in.
The thing is, it worked.

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
710 Posts
My dad was almost as impatient as me and just couldn't seem to find a way to engage me in any hands on project without yelling and swearing and calling me an idiot. This resulted in my having a real lack of confidence with anything mechanical for decades.
Yup, this sounds familiar, I'm glad that when I got older he was more willing to be patient and I learned a lot more. I was a punk kid so some of the insults were deserved.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
My father died when I was 15 yo but he was hands on with everything and a pretty decent amateur carpenter. I guess that even though I didn't have that much time with him, I picked that up and am the same way and was a professional carpenter until I became a project manager and estimator in commercial construction. I love building things and working on mechanical stuff. I hate paying anyone to do work for me. Even on the job, tools have always been almost like toys to me. I also build my own computers and run them on Linux operating systems.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
At least some of the clueless have backed off from offering advice to every mechanical issue that gets asked about when they have little or no experience..

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
To paraphrase a saying, "it's better to stay silent and be thought a fool, then to go on the internet and prove it to the world".

Reactions: ChesterBurnet

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,029 Posts
At least some of the clueless have backed off from offering advice to every mechanical issue that gets asked about when they have little or no experience..
I'm still offering my opinion - must be why you specified 'some'. 🤣 I have no choice if I want to keep my post count up. :cool:

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
There's a lot of people with varying levels of experience. Anyone talking from experience is good. Sometimes taking a shot based on experience is just as good.

A while back a guy bought a used bike asked what a toggle switch in the rear end of the bike was. I was pretty sure it was for the strobe on the integrated tail light because I had installed one earlier in the year. It was a good guess and correct. There's a difference between an educated guess based on experience versus a potshot based on no experience.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts