Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the fence guys! I need one extra "push" to get an FZ-9. I have an FZ-8, highly modified, but not really where I want it. I want the front end to come up EVERY time I try to push it too hard, I want to ride wheelies into third gear, yada yada yada... Give me the BEST reasons why this is such a better motorcycle than the FZ-8. I have the following mods:
Power Commander w/ Auto-tune
Yoshimura R-77D exhaust
Shad seat
Yoshi fender eliminator
Puig Windscreen
Super sparkplugs
K&N air filter
air box mod

·
Registered
64 Posts
It has been suggested on here that the 'weight-forward' principle of the FZ-09 has been applied to a lesser extent than on the FZ8. That should help your desires.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have an FZ-8, highly modified, but not really where I want it.
This observation leads to what may the best reason. I'm not certain of the FZ8's stock suspension quality, but none of your mods appear related to the suspension. From reading this forum, altering the stock suspension seems to get the FZ-09 to, or very close to, where their owners "want it." The neat part is the FZ-09 is an incredible ride leaving the dealership in stock form.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Marthy said it all, it's not just torque, but it's torque per weight at low rpm's...that's what makes this bike so fun to ride.

The fz09 has a 0-60 of 2.7sec and a 1/4mile of 10.66 sec @ 125 mph.
There are only 3 quicker production bikes: GSXR1000, vmax, and zx14r
List of fastest production motorcycles by acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never rode the fz8, I'm sure it's a fine bike, but the fz09 is already a legend
Once the suspension sort out I can firmly say that the bike accelerate much faster than stock. Especially the rear shock has better damping and the bike doesn't whelly as easy... so you can hold it WOT! I got mine where it squat just enough to have the front wheel skipping in 2nd gear and still holding it WFOT! Amazing ridr for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had a 2012 FZ8 with Two Brothers slip on, Juice Box Pro,FZ1 shock, factory centerstand etc....... traded it in 2 weeks ago for a Red FZ09 . This bike is incredible it makes you laugh to your self. Then after your first ride you will never look back. The most common reaction after you ride it you take off your helmet and say WOW. When I picked it up at New York Honda Yamaha the mechanic took it for a test ride he came back took his helmet off I asked him how was it he said wow.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Don't forget the Aprilia Tuono V4R! I lust for that thing...
Yes, yes, that is a bad M-f'er, almost forgot about that bike...
but at some point, one must make the calculation:
(Integral of [Torque/RPM]**) / (Wet Weight x Cost)
** this gives bias to higher torques at lower RPM ranges

Call this the kick-ass index # (KAI)
I think the FZ-09 has the highest KAI of any bike, period

·
Registered
768 Posts
I also had a FZ-8 and it's now out there in FZ land entertaining it's second owner while I wait for the rains to stop so I can go play on the 09 some more. WOW is the definitive 1st reaction to riding one. That's soon followed by aching face muscles from grinning so hard.
You can mod a FZ-8 all you want but a 09' can amaze you right out of the crate.
fz8 011bb.jpg IMG_7309b.JPG

1 - 20 of 42 Posts