Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive design
ok
Musical instrument Automotive tire Bicycle part String instrument Wind instrument

Bicycle Crankset Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle fork

Chain recently been adjusted, cleaned and lubed and this appears after a 5 km ride, looks like the internal grease is weeping? Chain also makes a quite loud buzzing (metallic) noise, from what I can hear most from front sprocket area.. Any ideas on the buzzing noise and how to eliminate? loosend up tension but noise still there. It was all quiet from the start but after adjustment noise appeared.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Did you use kerosine to clean the chain? It can get by the o-rings and dilute the grease.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've been using kerosene to clean motorcycle chains for 20 years now. Never washed the grease out of one despite what the internet has decided to preach in recent years. If you don't wash it off it will stay wet for a long time and fling out. As your black schmoo is largely accumulated around the rollers , where there aren't o rings anyway, I'd say you just didn't get your chain rinsed well and so it's still oozing poo.

After kero breaks everything up I hit the chain with my grunge brush and soapy water. Helps that residue rinse away easily and cleans up your brush as well. Future applications of chain lube won't stay if there's kero residue still on the chain, so you've got to get it cleaned off thoroughly.

But don't worry, your chain seals aren't damaged. It's not even coming from that area.

·
Registered
532 Posts
As for the buzzing noise.

1: if the chain isn't well lubed due to old kero residue not allowing new chain lube to stay ( which obviously looks to be the case) , a dry chain will buzz as the rollers vibrate. Rinse that chain well and get it dry before reapplying chain lube

2: If the chain requires frequent / multiple adjustments that's a sign it's " stretched" or lengthened. They do that when they're worn or abused and the new lengthened state makes them no longer fit the sprockets correctly.

But I doubt your chain or sprockets are damaged in any way. Just needs good flushing off 👍

·
Registered
607 Posts
They look solid to me. How long have you had it? I just did my chain too. Check the cleaning instructions my DID 525 ERV7 came with:
Publication Wood Font Pattern Tree

Publication Font Book Material property Paper

·
Registered
244 Posts
No expert, but some experience. (I'm 72, been riding since 15) My personal belief is that stiff brushes like grunge brushes can reach in and tear up the o-rings. I personally use an old soft-bristled toothbrush. My chain has 28K miles on it and is still well within length specs. But most of that is with an aluminum rear sprocket (that I think acted sacraficially for the chain's longevity) and I'm nearly always pretty light on the throttle, so there's that too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No expert, but some experience. (I'm 72, been riding since 15) My personal belief is that stiff brushes like grunge brushes can reach in and tear up the o-rings. I personally use an old soft-bristled toothbrush. My chain has 28K miles on it and is still well within length specs. But most of that is with an aluminum rear sprocket (that I think acted sacraficially for the chain's longevity) and I'm nearly always pretty light on the throttle, so there's that too.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Oskar-----Thank you for the update and the solution to your issue.
I wish more people would come back and tell us how things worked out because it keeps the information highway flowing properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts