Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use? I have a trailer but it's a pain and I would rather be able to load it into the back of my 2013 Ecoboost F150. The power ramps are bad ass but I don't want to spend 2500 bucks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
These folding ramps from Home Depot it lowes work well but on flat ground it's pretty steep so it's best to have a second person help out especially if your truck is high. Backing up to an embankment or slope or into a ditch can help load it more level.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Mul...3&ci_sku=100658393&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

I also like motototes which work with a class 3 or higher hitch for any bikes up to around 400lbs. The tote weighs 80lbs and my trucks max tongue weight is 650 so it works out perfect. It's easier to load and you still have all the space in your bed or can load a bike onto an SUV.
https://www.mototote.com/mobile/home.asp#page-46

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've got one of these. I like being able to put my feet down.

Depending on how high the bed of your truck is, you may want a longer one.

Some examples of what not to do:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It's pretty tall... I forgot about the hitch mount ones but I think I would rather have it in the bed.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm pretty lucky, my brother lives in an apartment complex and in his parking area there is a tiered ledge we can back his truck up to and load a bike with a ramp at a pretty low angle.

His truck is about the size of yours 520fz, if I were you I'd get a trailer or if you just have ramps , find something similar to what I describe above.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm pretty lucky, my brother lives in an apartment complex and in his parking area there is a tiered ledge we can back his truck up to and load a bike with a ramp at a pretty low angle.

His truck is about the size of yours 520fz, if I were you I'd get a trailer or if you just have ramps , find something similar to what I describe above.
I have a 6x12 but it's just a pain to put in and out of my garage. Works great for the bike I just wanted something a little easier. I just was hoping for a cantilever style one that wasn't power and maybe a little cheaper than those expensive ones. I guess a wide ramp would be best.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Amazon.com: 108" Black Widow 3-Piece Heavy Duty Folding Arched Motorcycle Ramp: Rage Powersports: Automotive

This is what I've used for years to take my R1 to the track and transport other bikes around...only issue I've ever had was in winter when there was some black ice in the truck bed :mad:

This along with a Baxley wheel chock and Canyon Dancer harness, never had anything move.
+1

I have the Black Widow ramp and it's curved so you won't drag your oil pan. I use the Baxley sport chock as well and use some soft ties to pull the bike forward in the chock using the front tie down points in the truck bed. Baxley says you only need two straps, but I typically use 4.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I back up to an incline and use a four wheeler ramp to get my bikes in my truck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
canyon dancer 100% of the time. I use two fold ramp and usually load on a slope of some sort (even if its just placing the truck in the street with back wheels in the slope of the curb). Doing it that way with the wide ramp allows for easy worry free one person loading and unloading. After loaded and secure I usually fold the ramp and slide in in the back at an angle. This works for me and have done it that way for years.

·
Registered
108 Posts
5'3" here. I use 2 ramps, one to walk on and other with bike on it. Depending if their is a slope or not, I will either push it up or clutch it up (let it work for me)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have a heavy duty rectangular plastic tool box that you can sit on or use as a step that I carry essential stuff for my bike if needed (airpump, etc.). I learned to hook a safety wire to the hitch, start the bike, clutch it up in first gear, standing to the left with the step to the left below the tailgate, walk up onto the truck as I am easing the running bike up the ramp. Placement of the step is crucial, one foot on the step and then walk onto the truck tailgate with my other foot as the bike gets far enough, hold front brake until I am in the truck. Of course, I situate my tie downs the right length and up where I can reach them while I am balancing the bike.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Here are a few good loading methods. :)

I really use an aluminum double wide ramp, but have my eye on the black widow model.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
What does everyone use? I have a trailer but it's a pain and I would rather be able to load it into the back of my 2013 Ecoboost F150. The power ramps are bad ass but I don't want to spend 2500 bucks.

I got a pair of ramps from Harbor Freight for $79.

The trick is to back up your truck to the low spot at the end of your driveway. With the back wheels in the low spot your tail gate will be a foot or more closer to the ground than on flat fround.

For added safety have someone help with loading and in loading.

What ever you do don't try to ride the bike up the ramp.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I got a pair of ramps from Harbor Freight for $79.

The trick is to back up your truck to the low spot at the end of your driveway. With the back wheels in the low spot your tail gate will be a foot or more closer to the ground than on flat fround.

For added safety have someone help with loading and in loading.

What ever you do don't try to ride the bike up the ramp.
I found at least one other person is needed to do it safely, if you have 2 others that's ideal.

2 hold the bike and the other pushes from behind (that's what she said)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts